Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by leadfeather, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 27, 2018, 12:39 PM

Good riddance ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by killickb
RC Foam is closing up but they have some misc. foam sheets left at a discount.
I could be wrong, but have felt for quite a while (since new owner took it to Colorado) could be the stumblingblock as to why the Depron mfg pulled out of the US...again an opinion but lots of clues to support it...

Maybe some company can now step up and strike a deal with the Depron mfg and we can get it back here in the states.. Would love to see a new source for Depron Aero ..
to remove ads between posts
Sep 27, 2018, 12:55 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by gittarpikk
I could be wrong, but have felt for quite a while (since new owner took it to Colorado) could be the stumblingblock as to why the Depron mfg pulled out of the US...again an opinion but lots of clues to support it...

Maybe some company can now step up and strike a deal with the Depron mfg and we can get it back here in the states.. Would love to see a new source for Depron Aero ..
Their main business is flooring underpayment and the line runs 24/7 for that. It is not cost effective for them to setup and run a container of depron for modelers when they already sell everything they make.

MPF was an attempt at making a depron replacement but its too soft to be a direct substitution. It lacks the depron surface skin.

When RC foam moved to Colorado they were just a fulfillment center shipping inventory. The problem was they didn’t understand the depron they had and stored it improperly and all the sheets we got were C shaped.

Any of the manufacturers that had been making depron planes have now stopped due to lack of depron.
Sep 27, 2018, 06:18 PM
Jer. 29:11
@coreman, do you think MPF would be a viable substitute for Depron if it had plastic on one (or both) sides, like blue fan-fold foam did? (Assume it wouldn't have waves, would be white, wouldn't have printing, etc.)
Sep 27, 2018, 06:27 PM
^ hobbyking has a modeling foam (foamboard) that is kinda similar to depron, from what i read has a similar finish, but is not quite as stiff, so maybe it would just need to have more carbon spars.

not a lot of info out there, but i did find a post from 2016 comparing mpf, depron, and the hk foamboard, that may be worth a read. pricing on the hk stuff is actually quite reasonable, similar price to flite test foamboard.
Sep 27, 2018, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman
Their main business is flooring underpayment and the line runs 24/7 for that. It is not cost effective for them to setup and run a container of depron for modelers when they already sell everything they make.

MPF was an attempt at making a depron replacement but its too soft to be a direct substitution. It lacks the depron surface skin.

When RC foam moved to Colorado they were just a fulfillment center shipping inventory. The problem was they didn’t understand the depron they had and stored it improperly and all the sheets we got were C shaped.

Any of the manufacturers that had been making depron planes have now stopped due to lack of depron.
I knew it was floor underlayment...but didn't know the reasoning behind the exodus...My experience with the 'New" RCF was horrible as well . In reality it wasn't just the foam they didn't understand cutting shipments with a Ginsing knife didn't 'get it' either being over an inch plus or minus in size and if you complained they just banned your orders.....ask me how I know.

....but my designs sure loved the Depron Aero which was much lighter, more flexible before breaking and had a nice slick surface . I really miss that stuff even with a nice supply of MPF, and DTF already sitting here....my fav being the 3mm
Sep 27, 2018, 07:57 PM

@Coreman...

Hey Coreman...
ever thought about (or know of) anyone cutting xps to thin undercamber airfoil similar to or much like the Slow Stick wings?
I can easily roll DTF to that shape and can either laminate it to hold it or thin brown painter mask /elmers laminate it to hold the shape ....both making the wing stiffer than the original. The wingtips are an easy 2D addition although the fake ribs would not be there like in the SS wing.

Anyone who has fooled with the thin UC designs knows if everything is kept light , it will fly extremely slow and stable and is a blast just like the SS.

Too bad about GWS ...I used to just buy the SS wing kits (although I had several original SS)

I'm thinking of designs like Cubs, Bipes, slow low wingers. Most of that kind of flying can be appreciated in fun 'from the cockpit ' fpv , stand off scale both indoor and out. Right now I'm fixing to set up a sort of jig to cut a bunch of thin undercamber blanks . most of these will be in the 48" to 96" range , all needing functional struts either beneath or on top from a post.

Last unfinished effort is of one I call the Rumplestick a cross of the fuselage of the Rumplestadt Bipe and the wing from a SS with only the bottom wing.. I have upscaled it to 8' and is a 2 layer DTF wing laminated and painted.
Sep 27, 2018, 08:48 PM
My foam arrived today from Wincatcher rc . Looks good! now all i have to do is find the time to build something. Thanks Lee.
Sep 28, 2018, 05:26 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsch
@coreman, do you think MPF would be a viable substitute for Depron if it had plastic on one (or both) sides, like blue fan-fold foam did? (Assume it wouldn't have waves, would be white, wouldn't have printing, etc.)
It needs something because it is very succeptable to thumbprints which makes it difficult to display kits and not have them damaged. People are always grabbing it and squeezing and asking what itís made of.
Sep 28, 2018, 05:35 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Hey Coreman...
ever thought about (or know of) anyone cutting xps to thin undercamber airfoil similar to or much like the Slow Stick wings?
I havenít done anything at that scale, no. Itís not really a direction Iím likely to go. Depron was never a large part of my sales so I didnít find it justified pursuing alternatives and redesign. EPP just had more potential.
Sep 29, 2018, 03:42 PM
EPP Seller and Kit Manufacture
Quote:
Hey Coreman...
For the last 3 years I've been playing with XPS on my CNC before getting into EPP this year. Lowes insulation foam is XPS. Even though it is a lower quality and the standards are less than depron due to the primary use being foam insulation. It is Extruded Polystyrene (XPS) from what I read in multiple articles. The down side is due to the lower quality there can be air pockets and density changes in the foam. Usually a light sanding is required after a cut to make it more smooth.

My CNC can easily cut, both hot wire and mill, the Lowes green/blue insulation. If you had an under camber airfoil you had in mind, I could give it a try in a few weeks. Currently working through a bug in my plugin that generates g-code. Once I get that figured out, I can more accurately cut out wings for everyone. I can cut wings out now, but they will be .05" out of spec due to kerf. If that's not a problem, I might be able to cut stuff out in a timely manner.
Sep 29, 2018, 03:44 PM
EPP Seller and Kit Manufacture
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash&fix612
My foam arrived today from Wincatcher rc . Looks good! now all i have to do is find the time to build something. Thanks Lee.
Great to hear you got it okay and you like the quality! Hope you find time soon to build your plane.
Throw up a picture when you are done, I would love to see your project.

What are you making with the foam?
Sep 30, 2018, 12:29 PM
Kit Manufacturer
When I was vacuum bagging glider wings back in the day the best XPS I found was the Dow gray. 1.5# density with no voids and very uniform. If you see it, grab a couple of sheets and give it a try. Generally found in tongue and groove 2” 96”x24” sheets. Truly a pleasure to hotwire and vacuum bags with no prep needed for fiberglass with painted mylars. It was THE foam for competition gliders in the 80s and 90s
Oct 10, 2018, 08:15 PM
Methinks I have an idea to try out with the ole feathercut hotwire (DIY)... pure Low tech solution. Years ago I came across enough Blue and pink 2#/cu ft xps to do me a lifetime and in a separate find I loaded my 5x8 trailer about 6' deep in 4-6" 4'x8' EP roofing foam discarded in a dumpster at a large apartment complex... (the foam was in near perfect shape with only a few exterior smudges etc)...so I also have a lifetime EP supply. I hope to get into that project in next week or two and if it works, is about as simple as it gets to cut a stack of thin undercamber wings. For the wingtips like the Slow Stick and tail group, I could also cut a few sheets of flat (same thickness) to cut those parts out of.

The fuse for that Rumplestik is an easy foamboard build.

So to summerize... I'll be slicing approx 5mm sheets.. One style flat, other has a preset undercamber much the same as slicing EPP sheets out of block.

Quick Reply