This thread is privately moderated by leadfeather, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 10, 2018, 12:11 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman
*snip*

I ship internationally for actual costs. They aren't cheap and a Gremlin to Australia can run $45US postage. BUT... 2 kits to the same address ends up being $55US and so the per kit cost drops below $30 each.. people are spoiled with "free shipping" but if you look at the label, you see it's going to the shipper, not our pockets
Often times, the shipper has an account with whatever freight. The shipping charge is decreased by a significant amount (sometimes half the normal rate), but they still mark it as full and get extra cash from the buyer. I've seen it plenty of times.

Building is definitely about to be a lost art. It's nice that there are a lot of ready to go options, but that's also what's killing the hobby.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 10, 2018, 05:54 AM
Blue Skies
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me
, , ,
Building is definitely about to be a lost art. It's nice that there are a lot of ready to go options, but that's also what's killing the hobby.
I agree building RC models is on the verge of being a lost art. But new ways and technologies are the future. Mothers don't lament the loss of cooking from scratch for the most part, since the introduction of ready to eat, prepackaged meals, or frozen foods. They have embraced it as a time saver. It's the same for our hobby.

I disagree that ARFs, etc. are killing the hobby. The addition of ready-to-go options is what is saving the hobby. Few people starting in the hobby, have the time or space to build RC models. Unless you grew up with someone already in the hobby, I would say the odds are new pilots are more interested in flying than building. Repairs are inevitable if you fly, and some pilots take up the art of building as a result. But it's not the first inclination of most of us.

I don't have any figures on membership, but I would guess there are more people flying RC now than ever before. And they're flying things that never existed before. EDFs are fairly new as a common item for the RC pilot. They may have existed before, but not as they are now. Quads are certainly a new thing. Building and the old tech ways were there because that was all there was if you wanted to fly. It's not that way anymore, and I am glad of it. Unless you have a garage or workplace apart from the house, you fly electric, which is a fairly new and growing part of the hobby. Even if you have a space for IC models, few people that are not retired have the time for building. Foamies and electric and the other modern things developed over the past 20 or so years, are keeping the hobby alive. It just not the old hobby that was there when you started.
Don
Jul 10, 2018, 06:04 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Often times, the shipper has an account with whatever freight. The shipping charge is decreased by a significant amount (sometimes half the normal rate), but they still mark it as full and get extra cash from the buyer. I've seen it plenty of times.
Easy to say that. The maximum discount I get is 6%. If you are Horizon or some other big shipper with a trailer truck being loaded at the shipping doc, yes, you are at a high discount rate but you are also paying your OWN people to load the truck etc. I'm not sure half the shipping costs going to pay your employee to do a lot of the work is "profit". You need to remember that a lot of this hobby is a cottage industry run by people not that different than you. Take 10 boxes down to the post office or UPS and tell them you want a DEAL and see what your rate is. From what I've seen, the big guys that get the big discounts are also the ones with cheap or free shipping a lot of the time. Oh, and your free Amazon shipping? Yeah, there's a 15% charge to the SELLER to be on the site. Yeah you can lose $1 per piece you sell but make it up in volume. As I have said before, there are TENS of dollars to be made in this hobby. Nobody is getting rich. That's why we are talking about suppliers going out of business. what you "see" or "perceive" isn't always what's going on. Start a business and come back with your cost numbers
Jul 10, 2018, 10:19 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinsword
I agree building RC models is on the verge of being a lost art. But new ways and technologies are the future. Mothers don't lament the loss of cooking from scratch for the most part, since the introduction of ready to eat, prepackaged meals, or frozen foods. They have embraced it as a time saver. It's the same for our hobby.

I disagree that ARFs, etc. are killing the hobby. The addition of ready-to-go options is what is saving the hobby. Few people starting in the hobby, have the time or space to build RC models. Unless you grew up with someone already in the hobby, I would say the odds are new pilots are more interested in flying than building. Repairs are inevitable if you fly, and some pilots take up the art of building as a result. But it's not the first inclination of most of us.

I don't have any figures on membership, but I would guess there are more people flying RC now than ever before. And they're flying things that never existed before. EDFs are fairly new as a common item for the RC pilot. They may have existed before, but not as they are now. Quads are certainly a new thing. Building and the old tech ways were there because that was all there was if you wanted to fly. It's not that way anymore, and I am glad of it. Unless you have a garage or workplace apart from the house, you fly electric, which is a fairly new and growing part of the hobby. Even if you have a space for IC models, few people that are not retired have the time for building. Foamies and electric and the other modern things developed over the past 20 or so years, are keeping the hobby alive. It just not the old hobby that was there when you started.
Don
Oh I definitely agree with you, and we definitely have more people than ever. That's just a sign of the times. Every aspect has become more accessible. What we lack now though is the innovation. For perspective, I'm from the micro side. There are very few builders now compared to before after Horizon's "UM" line. I feel like people wanted to create and learn more before than now. And let's not even talk about quads...the part that almost took away the hobby. (Really, let's not.) Methods and materials will change, but a builder is a builder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman
Easy to say that. The maximum discount I get is 6%. If you are Horizon or some other big shipper with a trailer truck being loaded at the shipping doc, yes, you are at a high discount rate but you are also paying your OWN people to load the truck etc. I'm not sure half the shipping costs going to pay your employee to do a lot of the work is "profit". You need to remember that a lot of this hobby is a cottage industry run by people not that different than you. Take 10 boxes down to the post office or UPS and tell them you want a DEAL and see what your rate is. From what I've seen, the big guys that get the big discounts are also the ones with cheap or free shipping a lot of the time. Oh, and your free Amazon shipping? Yeah, there's a 15% charge to the SELLER to be on the site. Yeah you can lose $1 per piece you sell but make it up in volume. As I have said before, there are TENS of dollars to be made in this hobby. Nobody is getting rich. That's why we are talking about suppliers going out of business. what you "see" or "perceive" isn't always what's going on. Start a business and come back with your cost numbers
Oh I definitely wasn't accusing you of that. I should have stated that it really only applies to the really big corporations that pull millions per year.
Jul 10, 2018, 09:19 PM
EPP Seller and Kit Manufacture
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonille
Icrash2 is there any possibility to ship to a APO AE address?
Jasonille,
That is a great question. I will look into this and see what I can do. I completely support everyone in the armed forces and I'm a veteran too. I have to look into my shipping settings on the backend of my website and see how I can incorporate those to those areas.
-Lee
Jul 10, 2018, 09:24 PM
Quote:
Boredom.is.me,
This is not the case with me. I have my website setup to automatically pull information from USPS and UPS directly based off of size and weight that Woocommerce calculates. I then add on $4 to cover the cost of the cardboard box I have to build around the foam. If I could find a cheaper method of shipping, I would certainly use it.

I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Since I'm starting a new business, even though I have a business account with the shippers, I haven't shipped enough product yet to qualify for the huge discounts. I hope, with the help of everyone needing foam, I will eventually get there and be able to pass the savings on to everyone.
-Lee
Jul 10, 2018, 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCrash2
Jasonille,
That is a great question. I will look into this and see what I can do. I completely support everyone in the armed forces and I'm a veteran too. I have to look into my shipping settings on the backend of my website and see how I can incorporate those to those areas.
-Lee
Thank you if possible I will be ordering
Jul 11, 2018, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Icrash2 is there any possibility to ship to a APO AE address?
Hello Jasonille,
I just checked the website. It says it is already setup to ship to any state and AP, AE, and AA address. Could you do me a favor and go to my website www.windcatcherrc.com . Select anything for testing and go to the checkout page. You don't have to make the purchase. Put your APO zip code in and see if it gives you rates before final payment. Let me know if it is not working. Send me a private message so we aren't clutter this forum and I'll work with you to ensure you and everyone else with an APO can get foam. Or if you want, give me your APO in a private message and I will test it for you.
And thank you for your service to our country!
-Lee
Jul 19, 2018, 10:17 AM
Kit Manufacturer

Wind Catcher RC Foam Review

With Flying Foam ceasing shipments I have to admit I panicked a bit. I've been using a lot of different suppliers over the years and it seems like every time I get comfortable with someone, they stop production for one reason or another. So when I saw Lee (ICrash2) post he was going to be selling foam I figured I should get a sample order and see what he's got. There was some fits and starts as usual and a delay because I was traveling to an event but I just picked up my initial box of foam at the post office (I had it held for pick up) The boxing was very good and wasn't damaged in transit, externally looked great and when I opened it the 20 sheets I ordered were all very uniform in thickness and pulling some out were very smooth. This is an awesome batch of EPP and I have to say I will be doing more business with Lee as my current supply dwindles (I now have 120 sheets of 9mm in stock so it might be a day or two ) I will say if anyone needs excellent quality EPP sheets, don't be afraid to order from Lee/iCrash2/Wind Catcher RC (http://www.windcatcherrc.com/)

10 out of 10!

P.S. oh, and his prices are competitive with what I had been paying
Last edited by coreman; Jul 20, 2018 at 11:08 AM.
Jul 25, 2018, 09:16 AM
Planes are for trix
thanks coreman, great review.
I will be ordering
Jul 26, 2018, 06:39 AM
Just received my foam and beautifully packaged perfect foam!!! Thanks Lee will be ordering more in the future.
Jul 26, 2018, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Just received my foam and beautifully packaged perfect foam!!! Thanks Lee will be ordering more in the future.
Wow! Jason, that was fast! I thought it would take another week or more to reach you there. Great to hear the foam made it in one piece and still well packaged. Thanks for ordering from us.
Aug 01, 2018, 09:21 PM
Chris Foster
After a long search, I found some EPP at https://windcatcherrc.com/
Aug 02, 2018, 01:14 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_c_foster
After a long search, I found some EPP at https://windcatcherrc.com/
LOL, windcatcher is literally right above your post.
Aug 02, 2018, 08:24 AM
John you will be happy with your order if you utilize Lee!!! https://windcatcherrc.com/
Last edited by jasonille; Aug 02, 2018 at 08:25 AM. Reason: added website

Quick Reply