This thread is privately moderated by leadfeather, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 12, 2016, 06:49 PM
guys can you use epp to build any foam airplane design? I am new to this and I see some made with foamboard others FFF but I like EPP for its durability. what thickness would you recommend I go with if I am just stocking up?

Coreman what are you building that you go through so much foam lol
to remove ads between posts
Jul 12, 2016, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazegry View Post
http://racores.com/
Jul 12, 2016, 07:30 PM
sweet thanks
Jul 12, 2016, 07:34 PM
Quote:
sweet thanks
No worries. Thinking of buying one of his kits one of these days.
Jul 12, 2016, 07:35 PM
Quote:
guys can you use epp to build any foam airplane design? I am new to this and I see some made with foamboard others FFF but I like EPP for its durability. what thickness would you recommend I go with if I am just stocking up?

EPP has a lot of benifets, and some draw backs. It's been my experience that most designs will need some changes if they were originally XPS. Also had to except that EPP is not as good in larger sizes as far as flat panel foamies go. Meaning you cannot just scale it up as far as an XPS would allow.
However, EPP can do a lot of stuff a stiff foam won't. Like be hinged, and bend into shapes. The pic attached shows a one piece canopy folded into shape. The top nests into the sides to hold itself in place without any hardware. Wouldn't be possible in a styrene.

As for which thickness and density to recommend, we will need more details. What kind of plane, AUW, etc.

Sam
Jul 12, 2016, 08:14 PM
Right now I am looking at trainers and good beginner planes that I will enjoy flying and not get frustrated with.
Jul 12, 2016, 08:24 PM
Quote:
Right now I am looking at trainers and good beginner planes that I will enjoy flying and not get frustrated with.
Depends on what kind of flying you're looking to do. Personally, I learned to fly on a 3D foamy, as insane as that might sound.
Jul 12, 2016, 08:33 PM
Right now I just want to be able to take off and land on my own. I do want a t28 later on but with these I am thinking I could try combat or maybe 3d. I also want to do some fpv with my gopro and just get cool videos of stuff.
Jul 12, 2016, 08:40 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:

I'm a manufacturer. For most builds I would recommend 9mm 1.3# EPP. EPP requires more carbon fiber for stiffness and structure. I use 7mm CF strips for most of my spars and 2mm rods for pushrods.

I'm also a happy Light RC/gotswrv Customer
Jul 12, 2016, 09:06 PM
yeah I am just starting out so I might buy a few pre cut planes first. I like your h-blu-o
Jul 12, 2016, 09:10 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
yeah I am just starting out so I might buy a few pre cut planes first. I like your h-blu-o
If you go on my website there is a playlist specific to each model to give you a feel for them.
Jul 12, 2016, 09:11 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
and if you want to save some money I sell all of the models unpainted as well
Jul 12, 2016, 09:16 PM
I am at sea right now I cant watch them until I pull back in but I will check them out when I can.
Jul 12, 2016, 09:20 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
I am at sea right now I cant watch them until I pull back in but I will check them out when I can.
They aren't going anywhere. You can always email if you have any questions. Also the instructions for the kits are included in paper form but they are also on the website so you can check out what is involved in building the model you are interested in. Everything is laser cut and tab and slot. The Yak55 is a great flying model based on Leadfeather's design here on RCG (with his permission). Tone it down to start out and then dial it up as you get more comfortable. And EPP takes the learning curve bangs and bumps.
Jul 12, 2016, 09:33 PM
thats not a bad price on that yak I might have to check that out.

Quick Reply