This thread is privately moderated by leadfeather, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 22, 2011, 10:02 PM
To make any strapping tape stick like the dickens
you can get a spray can of ahesion promotor from DUPLI COLOR
spray let dry for 3-5 minutes
than tape and respray
the tape will hold forever
the product also makes all paints stick to plastic such as
parkzone cowls etc
It only works on epp tho
it will attack other foams
It was developed to allow paint to stick ABS bumpers on carsnfor the do it yourselfer
IT WORKS UN BELIEVABLY GOOD AND MAKES ANY TAPE AND PAINT BOND TO EPP
to remove ads between posts
Mar 22, 2011, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by n42082
To make any strapping tape stick like the dickens
you can get a spray can of ahesion promotor from DUPLI COLOR
spray let dry for 3-5 minutes
than tape and respray
the tape will hold forever
the product also makes all paints stick to plastic such as
parkzone cowls etc
It only works on epp tho
it will attack other foams
It was developed to allow paint to stick ABS bumpers on carsnfor the do it yourselfer
IT WORKS UN BELIEVABLY GOOD AND MAKES ANY TAPE AND PAINT BOND TO EPP
ADPRO is the only way paint will stick to TPO plastic body parts. I know, I work with paint finishing systems for an automotive supplier.
Mar 26, 2011, 09:35 AM

Scratch built EPP Spitfire w/ plans

Here are some pictures and plans for a scratch-built EPP Spitfire. I'll add video as soon as the weather cooperates. The specifics are:
  • 9mm EPP foam
  • KF airfoil
  • 1350 kv motor w/ 8x4 prop
  • 32" wingspan
  • 9 oz AUW w/ 3s 800 battery

The thing flies like it's on rails. Very relaxing and scale-like. Does great in small outdoor spaces. Would probably even be fun in a gym for someone with more experience/confidence than I have.

II'll also post video on how I made the cockpit without a vacuum former, as well as how I do the dihedral in the wings.

Cheers,
Jack
Last edited by jonesj26; Mar 26, 2011 at 10:38 AM.
Mar 26, 2011, 10:04 AM
Winging it >
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesj26
Here are some pictures and plans for a scratch-built EPP Spitfire. I'll add video as soon as the weather cooperates. The specifics are:
  • 9mm EPP foam
  • KF airfoil
  • 1350 kv motor w/ 8x4 prop
  • 32" wingspan
  • 9 oz AUW w/ 3s 800 battery

The thing flies like it's on rails. Very relaxing and scale-like. Does great in small outdoor spaces. Would probably even be fun in a gym for someone with more experience/confidence than I have.

II'll also post video on how I made the cockpit without a vacuum former, as well as how I do the dihedral in the wings.

Cheers,
Jack
Beautiful, really nice work, congratulations!!
Mar 26, 2011, 10:36 AM
Quote:
II'll also post video on how I made the cockpit without a vacuum former,
Looking forward to see that.
Mar 27, 2011, 01:16 PM

Making a canopy without a vacuum former

Here's the video I promised about making canopies without a vacuum former. Hope it's useful. Apologies for the camera work. I had the Flycam One strapped to my forehead...

Making an RC airplane canopy (without a vacuum former) (8 min 8 sec)

Cheers,
Jack

3/29/11 -- Added some close-ups of the results.
Last edited by jonesj26; Mar 29, 2011 at 07:01 PM.
Mar 27, 2011, 01:39 PM
Jack,

Thanks for the thoughtful and well edited how to form a canopy.

I do have one suggestion based on past experience with painting clear plastic. Paint it from the inside so the paint won't get scratched off. It's an old trick from by RC touring car days.

Bill
Mar 27, 2011, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100
Jack,

Thanks for the thoughtful and well edited how to form a canopy.

I do have one suggestion based on past experience with painting clear plastic. Paint it from the inside so the paint won't get scratched off. It's an old trick from by RC touring car days.

Bill
Thanks much Bill, both for the kind words and great suggestion. I'll try that on the canopy I formed in the video.

Jack
Mar 27, 2011, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather
Beautiful, really nice work, congratulations!!
Thanks LF! Just the outcome of trying to learn from everyone who's shared so much great info in the forum.

Cheers,
Jack
Mar 27, 2011, 06:36 PM
2 metre rule applies!
JJ great process and video. I did similar for a P47 canopy 20 months ago which was my second ever build with EPP but just had the canopy blank with a collar that pressed down and stretched the plastic but didn't get the result that you got with the pull down method.

Also I used the plastic that comes with many toy and product packaging (nothing gets trashed these days if it looks promising for a build) but my hair drier didn't get the plastic as hot as I wanted but the results were better than I expected.

PS it took about 10 or so attempts to get a good result so perserverence is paramount! Pics attached

This method is thanks to Derk link... https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=597824
Mar 27, 2011, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAMJET
JJ great process and video. I did similar for a P47 canopy 20 months ago which was my second ever build with EPP but just had the canopy blank with a collar that pressed down and stretched the plastic but didn't get the result that you got with the pull down method.

Also I used the plastic that comes with many toy and product packaging (nothing gets trashed these days if it looks promising for a build) but my hair drier didn't get the plastic as hot as I wanted but the results were better than I expected.

PS it took about 10 or so attempts to get a good result so perserverence is paramount! Pics attached

This method is thanks to Derk link... https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=597824
Great looking P47 DRAMJET! Especially impressive for a 2nd shot at it. I've used some packaging material too, and it worked but was thinner than I liked. I think pulling down like I do really stretches the plastic out. You're right about perseverance. It took me about a dozen tries before I got a good canopy. Now that I've worked out the kinks in my approach though, they seem to almost all come out usable.
Mar 27, 2011, 07:35 PM
Winging it >
Thread OP
Quote:
Great looking P47 DRAMJET! Especially impressive for a 2nd shot at it. I've used some packaging material too, and it worked but was thinner than I liked. I think pulling down like I do really stretches the plastic out. You're right about perseverance. It took me about a dozen tries before I got a good canopy. Now that I've worked out the kinks in my approach though, they seem to almost all come out usable.
+1, really great DRAMJET.
Apr 09, 2011, 06:04 PM

motor mount

cool canopy!!!

here is a tip for mounting popular 9 mm plastic motor mount at the angle you want.

to help getting 1 degree right or getting it strait, stick something in hole,
a hobby pencil knife fits perfect. easier to detect angle if longer.
Apr 20, 2011, 02:27 PM
I know that i can use hot glue to connect the electronical part and be able to removed it, but will the epoxy 5 min make the job too?
Apr 20, 2011, 04:44 PM
flyin' fool
Use hot melt, it can be removed later from your components using alcohol and sticks better to plastics than epoxy.

Quick Reply