This thread is privately moderated by leadfeather, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 11, 2011, 06:56 PM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!
Woah! We have matching TV remotes!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 11, 2011, 07:19 PM
In the 20' glider range
lmfao.

How you guys like the paint?
Jan 11, 2011, 08:58 PM
Check your six
Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-gravity View Post
Thanks man.
Nah, thats me
Sorry! My Bad! Marty PS paint job looks awesome!
Jan 11, 2011, 09:16 PM
In the 20' glider range
Its all good!
I actually enjoy knowing I am in the handful of kids who fly.
And thanks.
(I stole it from someone on rcg )
Jan 13, 2011, 11:47 AM
Hi all,
I have an EPP sheet 100cm X 80cm and density 30 kg/cube meter.
Is it good to built an EPP plane??
what's the best density?
Tnx
Feb 05, 2011, 03:27 PM

great way to do push rods

the standard way of doing c.f. pushrods works great. here is something slightly better my old man cam up with.

.035 ss welding wire (home depo) fits holes for hxt 500 and 900 perfect!
(or any .035" wire)

basically instead of carbon fiber rod, use smallest carbon fiber tube. it is stiffer and lighter than rod (less glue and no shrink wrap)

http://www.rcfoam.com/cart.php?targe...category_id=75

The above link was the supplier for EPP foam and GLX carbon fiber rod, tubes and bar. The push tubes are made from 1.8 x 1 mm which is 1.8 OD and 1 mm ID. The .035" SS welding wire fits inside the carbon tube which has an ID of .039" (1 mm). That's a perfect fit to allow .002" all around room for glue.

The push tubes are slightly lighter and there is less bending moment on the push tubes due to the SS wire centered within the tubes. Also construction of the push tubes requires fewer steps. Well worth $2.50 for a meter of tube. Of course its the cost of shipping that makes the standard method using carbon rod, wire and heat shrink method just fine. When I ordered the foam I also ordered a good supply of carbon rods, tubes and bar.
Feb 10, 2011, 03:49 PM
repeat foam bender
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeneck View Post
The push tubes are made from 1.8 x 1 mm which is 1.8 OD and 1 mm ID. The .035" SS welding wire fits inside the carbon tube which has an ID of .039" (1 mm).
Great idea! I'm definitely going to try that.
Feb 11, 2011, 03:24 AM
What is the weight on this 1.8 x 1 mm carbon tubes?
Feb 11, 2011, 08:39 PM

weight

i don't know weight of the tube, but when compared to the standard 1.5 mm rod, the all up weight of a similaar lenght push rod assembled (shrink wrap, glue, wire) the tube was slightly less (they were real close) definatly not a huge weight saver. (scale goes to .1 grams)

the advantage of the tube version is
1. the stiffness of the tube,
aless guides,
2ease of assembly,
and no weight gain/slight loss

also the .035 mm stainless steel weilding wire works great with the popular and cheap and great hxt 500 and 800 servo horn holes, no hole slop, nice tight fit
Feb 11, 2011, 10:57 PM
Winging it >
Thread OP
brokeneck,

I think that is a great find and a really good way to do the pushrods. I'm in.
Feb 12, 2011, 01:32 AM
Quote:
basically instead of carbon fiber rod, use smallest carbon fiber tube. it is stiffer and lighter than rod (less glue and no shrink wrap)
Great idea!
According to quick calculations (based on data in this link):
The 1.8mm tube is a hair lighter than 1.5mm solid rod (insignificant difference)
The 2mm tube is 33% heavier than 1.5mm solid rod, but little lighter than 1.8mm solid rod.
The 2.5mm tube is 50% heavier than 1.5mm solid, and a hair heavier than 1.8mm solid.

Since I used 1.8mm in the past, all three seem like great options to me depending on the model size. Great tip!
Feb 12, 2011, 01:16 PM

thx!

thx! cant take credit, my dad's idea, after cheating around leadfeather yak 55 is still my favorite bird! still going strong after 1 year and 100ish packs and 300ish crashes.

I am hoping efoamy and wmparkflyer and twisted hobbies will take a look at this idea, so i dont have to order tubes seperate.
Feb 12, 2011, 03:27 PM
Quote:
thx! cant take credit, my dad's idea, after cheating around leadfeather yak 55 is still my favorite bird! still going strong after 1 year and 100ish packs and 300ish crashes.

I am hoping efoamy and wmparkflyer and twisted hobbies will take a look at this idea, so i dont have to order tubes seperate.
Already on it ... Going to test it out this next weekend at the Expo at the uni-dome. We pare planning on taking some of our kits as well as a few Plug N Plays ... Hope to see some of you guys there.
Feb 14, 2011, 02:05 AM
Anybody know if 1,5 mm CF tube is the thinnest out there?
I usually use 1 mm CF rod to do pushrods for my indoor Depron planes byt I do need 1 or 2 extra peaces of depron to support it so it does not bend.
Meybe the only way to get it lighter is to use Push/Pull with some kind of thin thread.
Feb 14, 2011, 07:22 AM
I use a piece of plastic soda straw about 1/2 in. long, slit it end to end so you can open the gap. slide it over the pushrod. Use a piece of foam for a mount and hot glue it to the tube and the frame about halfway between the servo and the control surface. Hotglue to the opposite side of the split in the tube so you can take the pushrod out if need be. I can make a pic if you like.

Gord.

Quick Reply