This thread is privately moderated by leadfeather, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 04, 2009, 04:08 AM
What kind of hot glue gun are you using?
I have two glue guns but the glue always melts the depron.
to remove ads between posts
May 04, 2009, 08:06 AM
Go ahead... Build it to crash!
Those tiny hot glue guns from walmart. They are low temp hot glue guns and take the small glue sticks. The glue gun is literally $2. It looks like it's meant for a kid to use. Those are fine to use on depron. You may get some heat marks, but not outright melting from it.
May 08, 2009, 09:39 AM
RC Flyer
Hi Guys

I see that you have done a fair amount of research on glues .What is the consensus at this time .

Is there a UHU that we could get from England that is equivelant to the UHU that we have been using ?
Thanks
Charlie
May 08, 2009, 10:57 AM
Get the UHU from Plantraco in Canada. Same stuff and works well.

Steve
Lakeville MN
May 10, 2009, 04:32 AM
what thickness epp should I use? I'm making a 25 size parkflyer type cub. Would 7mm thick foam do the fuselage alright?
May 13, 2009, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble Maker
Recently Welders glue has been difficult to find at Walmart not just in my area, but in other areas of the country as well. I contacted Homax the manufacture of the product with the following:

Customer support,

I would like to inquire about the following product. I have been using the Welders industrial strength contact adhesive that is packaged in a red tube. The product was readily available at Wal-Mart, but recently it has been very difficult to locate. A search of the Homax website showed Welders glue in a grey or silver tube. The question, are these two products the same and just packaged different? I have attached images of the two products.

Best regards,

Mark

The response from Homax:

Mark,

You are correct! The first picture was the older look and now the welder is available in the silver tube. You can usually locate this at Lowes stores.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Regard,

Jaylin Schmitt
Customer Service
Homax Products
800-729-9029

I have noticed at my local Wal-marts that welder has gone off the shelves. There are now a variety of Loctite brand adhesives. I just made a test hinge from the Loctite "Stik N' Seal - Original - Waterproof adhesive". It seemed to be a little thinner than welder, but is also toluene based, dries clear, and makes a similar hinge. It's only been an hour and it feels pretty tough. Full cure should be nice and strong I think. Anyway, this seems to be the alternative to welder that is now available at wally world.

Edit: After about 6 hours or so, it seems very strong, and in fact might be superior to the strength of the welder hinge. It is certainly on par with it. It also seems to dry a little faster at the beginning, which will speed up builds. I'll use it on my next airframe and see how that goes overall. However, for now it seems we may have a viable alternative to welder.
Last edited by Fuegodeth; May 13, 2009 at 10:50 PM.
May 18, 2009, 04:34 PM
what is a rudder for?
Loctite "Stik N' Seal melts FFF, ask me how I know!
May 18, 2009, 07:34 PM
Yep, it would. So does goop, welder, and any other toluene based adhesive. A small amount leaves a big crater in FFF or the thicker blue foams used in homebuilding. Depron will also melt with them. They are great on EPP though and are the best glues for that material. Although, hot glue has the convenience factor to it.
May 28, 2009, 06:19 AM
use small plastic hinges for your joints it relly works better than tape
Jun 15, 2009, 09:58 AM
Some call me the other guy!
Now, I know your going to think we are crazy!
Package #1
3 sheets of 1.9 lb/cuft 8MM 16" X 36"
22.99 free Shipping

Package #2
6 sheets of 1.9 lb/cuft 8MM 16" X 36"
34.99 free Shipping

Package #3
9 sheets of 1.9 lb/cuft 8MM 16" X 36"
49.99 free Shipping
I am having two trucks loads brought in later today. Cut and ready to ship.

Prices are set so you can make more and save more!

Pm me when your ready for your package!
Web Site will be up and running in a day or two!
Shipping will be ground shipping in US only!
Paypal will give up a great place to make the sales and you will be given a confirmation number to track for you package!

If you send a email to Mike Wilson @ ([email protected])he will be handling the transactions. Just give him your request for an order and he will process it!

Elvan Wilson II
Last edited by DoctorAudio; Jun 15, 2009 at 11:02 AM.
Jul 02, 2009, 07:11 AM
Winging it >
Thread OP

Cheap exacto blades

The best way to ensure great cuts in EPP is to use sharp knives. Hobby City has these blades for less than 10 cents each!

Exacto blades
Jul 02, 2009, 07:45 AM

Hi Model

I see another Company has popped up has anyone shopped HiModel

they have a good selection of EPP planes and stuff just never heard about them before?
Jul 02, 2009, 08:14 AM

Thumbs up for RCFOAM

I know y'all have heard of this place to get your foam and they are the best, however not many know of this "other" , cheaper foam they have called CellFoam

They state on the website that its characteristics is very similar to depron...and they are accurate. I tried it (all kinds of glues, cutting, sanding)and except for a very minute difference in finish, could not tell any difference.

My opinion...would save money and get same results.

here is link to bulk packs...and there is a $2 sample pack you can get to try it.This company has exceptional quality and always gives you a worthwhile "freebie"

http://rcfoam.com/cart.php?target=ca...ategory_id=107

I really like the Depron they have as well. Very high quality.

I'm making a separate post about comparison of Depron to the Hobby Lobby FoamCore board (peeled)...something I just discovered.
Jul 02, 2009, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallflyer
I see another Company has popped up has anyone shopped HiModel

they have a good selection of EPP planes and stuff just never heard about them before?

I have ordered some batteries and a couple large boat esc's from them and I have had good luck with it. Similar to hobby city, just not the selection. All I have used are some of their very small batteries (2s 200mah) and they have worked well so far. Order a bunch of stuff and let us know
Jul 02, 2009, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather
The best way to ensure great cuts in EPP is to use sharp knives.
I can never quite stand to constantly throw away blades, so I just keep a sharpener handy. A few swipes every few cuts keeps the cuts nice and clean.

Quick Reply