This thread is privately moderated by leadfeather, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 14, 2007, 05:29 PM
flyin' fool
You mean first five words, you forgot 'simple'.

The best part about this methods is that it really works. I did forget to mention that it's a good idea to clean the wire with some very fine steel wool first. Just push the wire into the foam so it's flush with the outer surface and gets coated with glue.

I got the idea from building a Hacker 'Reno Racer', same method, but they used an aluminum rod top and bottom, with CA glue wicked into the slot. The problem with EPP and CA glue is that the joint is way too brittle.

What we want is flexable, after all that's the advantage of building with EPP. Like I said...........'rubber airplanes'

Frank
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2007, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather
I've done some experimenting with strapping tape. It adds considerable stiffness to epp when applied on opposite sides of the foam. The tape is excellent in tension, but is not so good in compression. It is not as strong as an embedded 1/8 carbon tube...by a long shot

I'm thinking of a SloFly 28 for one of my next projects. Looking at the builds I haven't seen anyone use a horizontal profile epp stiffener in stead of the carbon rods or tubes to stiffen the fuselage. At least for the fuse, seems like this would be a light and cheap way to get the stiffness.

For a wing such as the one on SloFly 28 it is hard to imagine that packaging tape would add the necessary strength unless the foam was much thicker.

For smaller wings, the tape may be all that is needed.
Is this the same type of office depot tape that will stick to EPP?
http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=445086

I don't have an office depot near me, the closest thing is a staples
Oct 19, 2007, 08:33 PM
Winging it ̉>
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricong
Is this the same type of office depot tape that will stick to EPP?
http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=445086

I don't have an office depot near me, the closest thing is a staples
I haven't tried that particular tape. I was hoping someone else might be able to help you with that one.

The tape I am using is shown in post #125 and ws purchased at Home Depot. So far I'm very happy with it.
Nov 06, 2007, 07:16 PM
yes I saw that but I couldnt find it at my store.
it also looks kinda heavy.

Maybe I'm better off just using my cheapo tape and spraying 3M77 on it
Nov 12, 2007, 02:49 PM
Where Can I buy EPP foam and how much does it cost per w/e it comes in?

Thanks
Nov 12, 2007, 03:34 PM
flyin' fool
ice.........click back to the first page, it's all there.
Nov 12, 2007, 03:36 PM
Winging it ̉>
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricong
yes I saw that but I couldnt find it at my store.
it also looks kinda heavy.

Maybe I'm better off just using my cheapo tape and spraying 3M77 on it
Cheapo tape with the spray 77 on the foam should work well. Some slope gliders such as the Zagi cover there epp wings that way instead of using monokote type coverings.
Nov 12, 2007, 03:38 PM
Winging it ̉>
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman88
Where Can I buy EPP foam and how much does it cost per w/e it comes in?

Thanks
Post #4 of this thread. Good luck!

If any one knows of other epp foam suppliers, please post and I'll update the list.
Nov 12, 2007, 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather
Post #4 of this thread. Good luck!

If any one knows of other epp foam suppliers, please post and I'll update the list.
Guess I should have done a better job, where can I buy this foam from stores in CA, specifically Socal?

Thanks
Nov 12, 2007, 11:55 PM
try RCfoam.com
Dec 19, 2007, 11:11 AM
RCskyflyer.com has 1.3# and 1.9# EPP in a range of thicknesses. I just bought a range of pieces from them that showed up in good shape. The package was a stack of pieces that ended up being 12"by12"by36". It looks like an EPP brick.
Last edited by Prof100; Jan 09, 2008 at 04:46 PM.
Jan 03, 2008, 07:25 PM
Winging it ̉>
Thread OP

painting tip

I've had trouble getting paint to stick well for long durations on the taped portion of my planes.

Seems there is a silicone release coat on the back of the plastic (mylar) strapping and packaging tape. It is there so that when unrolling the tape the gum sticks to the correct side and releases from the side that is supposed to be non-sticky...makes sens.

A friend of mine, retired R&D engineer from 3m made the following suggestions to allow paint to stick well to the tape.

1) remove the silicone release layer by scrubbing with sodium hydroxide solution..no thanks too messy for me

2) Flame kiss the release coat to change its surface finish. A quick pass with a flame, don't do this on the foam.

3) Scuff the release coat with 400 or 600 grit sand paper. This is probably the easyist method

I often place the tape on clean glass and cut it to size before applying the tape to the foam. This would be the time to do the surface treatment.
Jan 04, 2008, 06:49 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
MS informed us of the higher grade of rubbing alcohol ...91%..that we use to wipe everything down with before hinging/painting ... Works great and is cheap/safe...
Here's a hint ... once you get everything cleaned, wear some clean gloves to prevent skin oils from spoiling your new paint job...oil/contaminants and paint don't mix well ...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jan 18, 2008, 05:12 PM
flyin' fool
Installing two pin horns into floppy EPP.........glue a CF flat into a slit, poke two holes next to the CF, hot melt.
Jan 29, 2008, 03:48 PM
N.F. Dawn Patrol
Has anyone came across any scratch build plans for the Fokker D-VII?

Quick Reply