Hobby shops in Tokyo - RC Groups
Jun 21, 2007, 08:32 AM
Lithium Member
Question

Hobby shops in Tokyo

Any info (incl. maybe links and general location/name) on hobby shops in Tokyo, preferebaly center (ie Ginza and surrounding areas).

Any info on HS's in Tsukuba would be welcome as well Thanks in advance ...
to remove ads between posts
Jun 23, 2007, 08:36 PM
Lithium Member
Thanks for the truly overwhelming response

What about Akibahara and surrounding areas? And in Rappongi, anything there?

Any pointers would be appreciated, I will be here till August ...

Thanks in advance, doomo arigato
Jun 23, 2007, 10:13 PM
Lithium Member
I found some partial info on Akihabara here:

http://liaison.ms.u-tokyo.ac.jp/agusta/akihabara.html

unfortunately it's hard to tell which ones are mostly rc-car stores ...

Some other perhaps useful info here:

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/que...ay.html?3+6336

Futaba - Sangyo ? :

http://www.f-sangyo.co.jp/default.html
Jun 28, 2007, 08:15 PM
Lithium Member
Domo arigato gozaimasu, Herb
Jun 30, 2007, 10:42 PM
Lithium Member
I was finally able to visit some of the shops listed above, near Akihabara train station.

My take-along guide was this map, which I printed out and carried in my pocket:

http://liaison.ms.u-tokyo.ac.jp/agusta/akihabara.html

* Futaba-Sangyo:

Relatively small shop with lots of high quality electric flight stuff. All Futaba radios (incl the 12) as well as JR, Kyosho, Hacker, TP axi and almost complete Hyperion line (accessories, chargers etc). Plenty of airplane models, some heli stuff but almost no car stuff. This is where I bought some nice electric accessories (servo testers, chargers). Saw a fantastic .40 sized Rufe, but the box was just way too big ...

Very easy to find using geographic markers (highways, river etc.), about 10 mins walk from Ikehabara station. My rank no. 1.

* Rakusei Models

Mostly rc car stuff, quality seemed to be ok. Some heli stuff as well, but not a lot of airplane supplies.

Conveniently located close (5 min walk) to the previous Futaba-Sangyo store.

* Super Radicon

Unable to locate, must have walked past it even though I looked at every store.

* Champ RC

Large store with lots of rc car stuff, tons of helis and heli parts (voyager, hirobo, kyosho etc). The largest inventory of airplanes (Kyosho, Hirobo, ok models, some other Japanese brands, even Graupner and Kavan, gas and electric), but surprisingly limited choices on airplane accessories. My rank no, 2.

A good twenty minutes walk from Ikehabara station, but relatively easy to find (large store).

* Asami

As far as I could tell this store is (rc)-cars & trains only.

* En-route store :

will look for it next time ...
Last edited by Herb; Jul 07, 2007 at 10:55 PM.
Jul 01, 2007, 11:53 PM
Akihabra is definitely the place to go in Tokyo when looking for anything to do with electronics.

Yodobashi is a huge electronics store, although its a general electronics store with a little bit of everything, they do have a section for RC stuff.

Hobby-Off is a chain in Japan that sells used (and some new) items that is specifically for your hobbies, remote controlled vehicles included. And if you find one, a Hard-off is an everything used store, and every now and then, you can find some RC related items that are usually priced very nicely.

Thanks for the info on the stores you listed, looks like i might take a train ride out there this weekend and purchase a few items, like a whole new kit and whatnot.
Jul 05, 2007, 08:26 PM
Lithium Member
I will go to Akihabara again soon to scout out some more places.

Yodobashi camera does have some rc stuff, but it's just a couple of items and those are basically low cost rc toys (honeybee heli for ex). It does have nice spray paint accessories though for plastic models for ex.

One surprising aspect of places like Yodabashi camera/eletronics is that many pc accessories & digital cameras (eg sony line) are actually cheaper in the us - some like web cams even a lot cheaper for the same brand model (logitech) . Heck they are even cheaper in Berlin Germany where I was before coming to Japan ...

But the selection is huge, and I suppose you can find some good deals if you go with lesser known made in china brands.
Last edited by Herb; Jul 07, 2007 at 10:53 PM.
Jul 06, 2007, 07:53 AM
practice, practice, practice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb
* Asami

As far as I could tell this store is rc-cars only.

The shop might be RAJIKON TENGOKU(R/Cl Heaven), not Asami.
4th floor is for R/C heli and airplane.

#Asami shut up shop several monts ago.

BTW, I usually buy radio equipments and small parts at Super Rajikon,
Champ and Futaba Sangyo.

cvlex
Jul 06, 2007, 08:36 PM
Agreed on the Yodobashi camera, they can be expensive. There is one in Hachioji that is a little bit better with their prices, but its not worth it to come all the way out from downtown tokyo unless spending a ton of money.

I will have to check out the Super Rajikon place, haven't been there.
Jul 07, 2007, 10:53 PM
Lithium Member
I finally found the Super Radicon store, it's on the first floor of an apartment building. The entrance is unmarked, but there's a JR Propo sign up above, and it's next to a fishing supply store.

It has a reasonable selection of rc plane, heli and cars. And a ton of spare rc car parts. It has one of the best and largest, very complete airsoft gun collections. The electric rc plane & accessory "high end" (eg not servo cables and apc props etc) offering is quite limited, they did have af ew hyperion outrunner motors...

I checked out RAJIKON TENGOKU(R/Cl Heaven) / Asami and they have static display cars on the ground floor, and electric trains (limited assortmernt, japanese brands) on th first floor, and that's it - very limited assortment.

On a different note,

I was also looking for some electronics like cameras that are "Export Version", that is the menus etc are in english and not japanese only . They are astonishingly hard to find!! I finally found out that maybe LLAOX has a useful selection, Yodabashi camera had almost nothing .
Jul 07, 2007, 11:43 PM
practice, practice, practice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb
I checked out RAJIKON TENGOKU(R/Cl Heaven) / Asami and they have static display cars on the ground floor, and electric trains (limited assortmernt, japanese brands) on th first floor, and that's it - very limited assortment.
The shop you mentioned above might be not the Rajikon Tengoku Akihabara.
The Rajikon Tengoku Akihabara is at the 4th, 5th and 6th floor, the 1st to 3rd
floors are SOFMAP shop No.4.

If you are able to read Japanese Kanji, check this map:
http://rajiten.com/akiba/img/map.gif

cvlex
May 26, 2008, 01:28 AM
Hi everyone,

I will lift off to Akihabara today and hopefully find the places, mentioned here. I am specifically interested, if the 2.4GHz upgrade kits for my Futaba radio are cheaper than here in Germany (160 for the transmitter and another 120 for an 8 channel receiver).

@cvlex: If you have details on where to watch out for those, please let me know :-)

all the best,

Fred
May 26, 2008, 09:50 PM
You might already have found, 2.4GHz stuff for air is not available yet here. Futaba and JR has announced this month, will be shipped in summer.

Satoru
May 27, 2008, 07:19 AM
Hi Satoru,

yes, he only stuff I found in the Futaba store today , was a flyer for thz new JR transmitter. No hw. And due to the strong YEN the prices are not very attractive for us.

cheers,

Fred