Jul 20, 2007, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
After about 3 years of reading about this problem, experiencing it myself, and pleading in a couple of posts to GWS in this forum to find a better plastic that is not so thermo-plastic at these low temperatures, it is very disheartening to see this is STILL a problem with the new improved kits!
In full sized aviation terms this is what is called a "Known Defect". Known Defects are often tolerated if there is a simple prcaution to counteract them. The clasic Known Defect is the fact that the clear perspex cocpit canopy of all Warbirds up untill recent times would craze and turn opaque if left exposed to direct sunlight for long periods. The solution to this Known Defect was the padded canvas canopy cover.

In this case of our models the use of a hand towl to cover the canopy and cowling is very simple solution. The hand towl is a heat insulator that prevents the hot sun from striking the Canopy and Cowls directly and so prevents heat build up. When the model is flying the the airflow over the Cowling and Canoy cools them so there is no heat build up.

Ken
Last edited by kensp; Jul 20, 2007 at 09:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 21, 2007, 05:45 AM
Hello!
I've sent a fax to Andy monday to order the GWS P40, and it's in my house today (saturday) in FRANCE without any custom taxes!!!
Thank you very much GWS!!!
Bye,
sebsoupe
Jul 21, 2007, 06:30 AM
You're welcome, Sebsoupe
I'd be appreciated if you could post photos of your P-40 here. It seems that you'll be the first pilot of GWS P-40 in France.

Chen
Jul 21, 2007, 10:09 AM
TallguysRC
P40 update.

Foam cowl trick (sorry no pictures) I thought of a way to make sure you never lose the foam cowl lay the cowl on a piece of thin stiff card board and using the cowl as a template cut out a piece of cardboard the same size as the back of the spinner poke a small hole in the center of the circle and put the cardboard piece own the shaft behind the prop now when you put the spinner on just put a couple drops of contact cement on the cardboard and press the foam spinner on the shaft and the cardboard circle. no wobble no lost foam spinners in flight!
Jul 21, 2007, 12:24 PM
Dance the skies...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp
In full sized aviation terms this is what is called a "Known Defect". Known Defects are often tolerated if there is a simple prcaution to counteract them. The clasic Known Defect is the fact that the clear perspex cocpit canopy of all Warbirds up untill recent times would craze and turn opaque if left exposed to direct sunlight for long periods. The solution to this Known Defect was the padded canvas canopy cover.

In this case of our models the use of a hand towl to cover the canopy and cowling is very simple solution. The hand towl is a heat insulator that prevents the hot sun from striking the Canopy and Cowls directly and so prevents heat build up. When the model is flying the the airflow over the Cowling and Canoy cools them so there is no heat build up.

Ken
Well, sure, I could also sit the plane in the shade! The point is, my other planes don't have this problem. GWS could fix this long known defect, like they have with other problems in their new kits, and they should!
Jul 21, 2007, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallflyer
P40 update.

put the cardboard piece own the shaft behind the prop now when you put the spinner on just put a couple drops of contact cement on the cardboard and press the foam spinner on the shaft and the cardboard circle. no wobble no lost foam spinners in flight!
If the spinner is glued to a backplate mounted behind the propeller, how do you remove the spinner to replace a damaged propeller.

Ken
Jul 21, 2007, 11:53 PM
TallguysRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp
If the spinner is glued to a backplate mounted behind the propeller, how do you remove the spinner to replace a damaged propeller.

Ken
Oh god I never thought of that Just kidding I used 4 little drops of contact cement I can peel it of with no problem the cardboard tears away easy enough so its not a problem!
Jul 22, 2007, 11:06 AM
Ay up it's warped
Quote:
hand towl to cover the canopy and cowling is very simple solution
What is the prize for the first flyer whose partner/family comment on you putting a blanket on the model
Jul 22, 2007, 12:27 PM
If you're lucky, you can get the missis to make a special little shaped duvet for it...
Jul 23, 2007, 06:07 PM
Foam abuser!
Has anyone gotten their P-40 airborne yet? I could have flown yesterday, but I am waiting until Wednesday morning. That's when the camerman will be available.

Robert? Tommy D? Anyone?

Pat
Jul 23, 2007, 06:14 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
Not me... Im in no rush.

Tommy D
Jul 23, 2007, 06:21 PM
TallguysRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
Has anyone gotten their P-40 airborne yet? I could have flown yesterday, but I am waiting until Wednesday morning. That's when the camerman will be available.

Robert? Tommy D? Anyone?

Pat

I have already put about 40 minutes of flights on her I lost my camera man last week so Im going to try again Wed also!
Jul 23, 2007, 06:24 PM
Foam abuser!
[Homer Simpson mode on]
DOH!
[Homer Simpson mode off]

I forgot all about Robert's maiden report from last week.

Pat
Jul 23, 2007, 06:31 PM
TallguysRC
pat post 379 your going to love her get the cg right i fly all my warbirds slightly nose heavy she is a dream. did you see my teaser video

Jul 23, 2007, 06:51 PM
TallguysRC
Pat i just saw your repost DAAAHH! then your edit! thats too funny the spinner is the only thing I would changed I cowboy'd mine on so it wont fly off Im putting on a plastic spinner hope its here today! shinny Red.

Quick Reply