Jun 18, 2007, 03:45 PM
The wings are not on fire
Thread OP
Build Log

Macchi C. 202 Folgore

Hi readers of my Macchi tread

During the build of my Dewoitine for the Build-off contest I got overconfident and I wrote myself in with another plane; the Macchi C.202. Of course, this was a no go, but now I picked it up again.

The Folgore was an Italian fighter plane. It flew for the first time in 1940 and was entered in service in '41. The base of the Folgore was the Macchi C. 200 Seatte. Performance of this plane was not so good, so it was decided to adapt a Seatte to take a German DB 601 engine. This became the Macchi C.202 Folgore. The Folgore was good as a plane, but rather weak as a fighter. Flight performance was good, it could match with hurricanes, P-40's and early Spitfires. The armament on the other hand was weak. 2 7.7 mg's en 2 12.5 mg's didn' had the punch of the armament of the enemy planes it had to cope with.
Folgore's were used on allmost every Italian front during the war. Most of them flew in the Mediteranian aera, but some were sent to Russia. Macchi's had several very interesting camouflage shemes. From sand color to dark green, with all sorts of patches and lines sprayed over the base color. Attached is a profile of the plane I'd like to build, unless I find one I find an even more attractive one .

To build the plane, I first need a plan. So I fine tuned the 3D model I allready made and I started drawing pieces.
Scale will be 1/9th (as the Dewoitine). This wil give a wingspan of 1176 mm and a lenght of 983 mm. Basicly, the plane will be build very similar to the Dewoitine. Wing with ribs and full sheeting. Fuselage consisting of a frame that is planked.
When all pieces are drawn, I hope I can get them cut by Manzano Laser.

So... Start, I guess
Here are the first screenshots, together with some renders and pictures of the real thing.

Enjoy

Tom
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2007, 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Hi readers of my Macchi tread
Hi [email protected], my name is Enrico and i'm writing to you from Rome, Italy. Last month i visited the historical museum at Vigna di Valle http://www.aeronautica.difesa.it
I was looking for a real Macchi MC205 Velcro and i found it!.
http://www.aeronautica.difesa.it/Sit...20&idente=1404

So i started to design a Velcro from scratch, but my first depron prototipe was to much heavy tail.
Do you will build it using balsa?

for macchi lovers only:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...mentid=1299039

Sorry for my lowbrow English, Enrico.
Last edited by galaeta; Jun 19, 2007 at 07:13 AM.
Jun 19, 2007, 03:41 PM
Thread OP
Hi Enrico

My Folgore will be made from wood. The wing will be allmost completely balsa, the fusalge will have a plywood frame with spruce stringers and balsa planking.

Thanks for the link with the profiles by the way. The plane I want to build is the second one on that page. The squadron insigna on that scan are very usefull.

Hey, don't give up on your Veltro. Do you have any pictures?

Tom
Jun 20, 2007, 02:34 AM
Hi [email protected]
the depron prototipe was crashed due stall tips. It was terribly ugly to see during all maiden fligth. I made it in a quick & dirty way.
By the way, i'm starting to apply some of corrections on the tail (bigger K factor) and some washout on the wings. I'll use only wood, also i'm trying to use Autocad instead paper & pencil old way.

Have you intention to share your design or may i kindly have a copy of it?

Thanks, Enrico.

Ps.: a copy of my ridicule first work in progress...
Last edited by galaeta; Jun 20, 2007 at 02:50 AM.
Jun 20, 2007, 04:36 PM
Thread OP
Don't ridiculize yourself man,
Its a start. You have to begin somewhere. A lot of people say they want to learn CAD etc, but don't do it. At least you give it a shot (There is no thumb up emoticon, so mentioning that there isn't one will have to do )
I didn't learn all the stuff I'am showing here on one day. It took me 3 years
And even now I am still learning and making stoopid mistakes.

When the Macchi has proven that it flies, I'll happely sell you a copy of the plan if you want. But first it needs to be build and flown (and designed ).

I drew some fuselage formers today and tought of the fuselage lay out. (oh yeah, I did an exam as well, student life can be hard )
F3 & F4 are finished. F5 & F7 will only be the upper half. The back of the plane will be put on after the main fuselage is planked. I'll make some tabs on those formers so they fit well in the right position. Here is a screenshot

Tom
Jun 20, 2007, 05:36 PM
Hi, [email protected]
very nice work. I like MC202/205 because when i was a child, my uncle give me a model ( it was in fused aluminum ) made in the school where he teach how to build a real one.
Several years later (1984) i known an old WWII italian pilot that flow also the MC205 Veltro. He took to me that they have no hope to survive a dogfighting against the large allied squadron, so they use to run a deep dive, fire and continue to diving at max speed! MC205 Veltro has an acrobatic attitude, strong wings so they can escape from crash at the last moment; the little that followed them, were forced to abandon. The force ratio was eight against fifty.
This is history that does not find in the books and that it makes you to watch an airplane in the museum in various way.

By the way, I continue to practice with autocad, meantime I'll follow your work step by step.

Have a nice day, Enrico.
Jun 20, 2007, 05:39 PM
Your Dewoitine was awesome and now this. I wish you would think about kitting them cause I would love to have the 202 you are about to build.
Jun 21, 2007, 01:34 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop
Your Dewoitine was awesome and now this. I wish you would think about kitting them cause I would love to have the 202 you are about to build.
Thanks man
Since the contest is over, I can say it now, I am thinking of kitting them (Dewoitine, our Mig-3 (slightly adapted to be on the same scale), the Macchi when it flies ).
I only don't know where to vacuum pieces like the cockpit. For the Dewoitine I did this on school, but this will not work for larger quantities. I'am also still a student so I can't afford to have a lot of kits and stuff on stock.
When work on this one is done, I'll think I'll ask at some of the kit makers here on the forum how they started. I hope they want to give me a helping hand.

@ Enrico
It must be a terrifing experience, diving as a lone fighter through a fleet of allied 4 engined bombers. Each bomber had like 8 guns or so, and the fighter has only 4. The fighter is outgunned 100 to 1
Jun 21, 2007, 08:12 AM
Neophyte hacker
Tom,

Best for plastic parts is Sparky. His prices are such that it may even be a good deal when shipping across the pond.

If you want an agent over here let us know.

charlie
Jun 21, 2007, 03:35 PM
Thread OP
Charlie, I sended you a mail concerning the kitting thing

I did a little more work after studying today :P
some more formers and pieces and stuff. I now know how exactly I want the fuselage to be build. Now only drawing the stuff that is required.

Tom
Jun 23, 2007, 01:42 PM
Thread OP
start to look like parts ready to cut huh
I still need to do some things, but I'll guess the files will be ready next week.

Tom
Jun 25, 2007, 08:46 AM
Hello [email protected],

Been following the D-520 thread. Very very nice.

The MC-202 has nicer lines and flies well too.
The one I made is a diminutive 29" and 8oz on a home made CD-ROM motor on a 4.75x4.75 E-prop. Very lively.
So small that a friend of mine stepped on it...
Great looking in the air. But landing is difficult has the ground turbulance is affecting it a lot.

My design was all CNC cut foam with the fuselage in 6 sections.
I love it, but I want bigger and with retracts. 46" @ 1/9th seems like a sweet size.

Make this available, I'll take 3 kits.

LD
Jun 25, 2007, 09:27 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dionnel
Hello [email protected],

Been following the D-520 thread. Very very nice.

The MC-202 has nicer lines and flies well too.
The one I made is a diminutive 29" and 8oz on a home made CD-ROM motor on a 4.75x4.75 E-prop. Very lively.
So small that a friend of mine stepped on it...
Great looking in the air. But landing is difficult has the ground turbulance is affecting it a lot.

My design was all CNC cut foam with the fuselage in 6 sections.
I love it, but I want bigger and with retracts. 46" @ 1/9th seems like a sweet size.

Make this available, I'll take 3 kits.

LD
Nice Macchi man. It's also painted as the 369 wich I like so much Sad someone stepped on it.

I am mailing with Charlie to see what we can do for kitting this one so, your 3 kits may come true . But first she has to proof that she's capable to fly.

Oh I also did something rather embarrasing this weekend.
Nothing Macchi related (or even scale) But fun to share.
Friday I was at this hugh party in Antwerp to celebrate the end of the exams (now we still can, we don't know our scores yet ) It was allready light when I came home. So I hardly slept this weekend
Sunday there was a elektro-sailplane contest near Bastogne. I competed but Bastogne is a 2 hour drive so I had to get up early, again, to little sleep
There was some wierd turbulence over there and I was not as awake as I used to be. I competed with a Great planes spectra. My result was bad and after the contest I crashed the plane on landing. Don't know what happened except for that I was trying to land and suddenly the plane looped and smashed, nose first, into the ground

Luckely I won some beer so it was not all in vain

I'll now draw some more pieces that is gets finished.
Grtz

Tom
Jun 25, 2007, 09:35 AM
Neophyte hacker
Tom,

Nice work. Have your considered enlarging the tail just a bit? I took a look at the side view and the fin/rudder looks really small.

charlie
Jun 25, 2007, 11:01 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb
Tom,

Nice work. Have your considered enlarging the tail just a bit? I took a look at the side view and the fin/rudder looks really small.

charlie
I thought of it.

Here is a screenshot of the dewoitine over the macchi. It is not that much difference, so I'll let it like this and test this configuration first.

I only need to do the parts of the underwing radiator, then make tabs on the parts so they don't fall out of the frame after cutting and then check it all.

What should I do with the side air intake with tropical filter? Try to make it in wood? with tin ply rings and balsa etc, or vacuum it in 2 or 3 pieces. or 3D printing? Or has anyone another suggestion?

Tom

Quick Reply