Jun 09, 2008, 07:38 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
The prop adapter should not be slipping when tightened. Perhaps a 'to big' prop adapter got packed in your set. One quick fix that might work is adding some heat shrink on your motor shaft and then the prop adapter on that (after shrinking the heat shrink). This isn't the best fix, but should get you buy for a little while.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 09, 2008, 07:43 PM
This is glue Strong Stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank3246
Worked like a charm!

So I got the Acromaster power kit. With assembly nearly complete, I tightened the included prop adapter with the 11x5.5 APC prop (both included). What's this? It won't hold! Seems both prop adapters that came with the motor are too large to tighten onto the shaft. The 'sleeve' that pinches the shaft-gripping collet thingy goes all the way back, but does not grip the shaft tightly. It's very tight, I've not had this issue on any other airplanes. It's like the shaft is 0.5 to 1mm too large. Am I missing something?

Frank
Try this:

I noticed when I put on an 11 x 5.5 the prop would not fit over the little raised bit on the collet. In other words, the adapter shaft fit through the prop just fine, but the "backplate" portion would not fit into the prop. Maybe this is happening to you and while the nut is tight against the prop, since the prop is not fully engaging the sleeve bit, it might not in fact be tightening the adapter to the shaft. Try carefully trimming the back of the prop hole with an exacto (precision is not that critical here) so that it fits tight against the backplate of the adapter.
Jun 09, 2008, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank3246
Worked like a charm!

So I got the Acromaster power kit. With assembly nearly complete, I tightened the included prop adapter with the 11x5.5 APC prop (both included). What's this? It won't hold! Seems both prop adapters that came with the motor are too large to tighten onto the shaft. The 'sleeve' that pinches the shaft-gripping collet thingy goes all the way back, but does not grip the shaft tightly. It's very tight, I've not had this issue on any other airplanes. It's like the shaft is 0.5 to 1mm too large. Am I missing something?

Frank
Frank,

The Acromaster motor should have a 5 mm dia. shaft. It should say HC3516-1130 on it. If it doesn't, something is wrong!!! On mine I still had to tighten the prop on very tightly. I am also using the 11x5.5 APC prop. Make sure and look to see that the prop is pushed all the way onto the adapter with no space between the back of the prop and the adapter. If you put the prop on backwards, it will not go on all the way (don't ask how I know).

I quess you could have received a prop adapter with a 6 mm hole, if so return it for the 5 mm one.

Good Luck,
Dave
Jun 09, 2008, 07:59 PM
Oh, and FWIW,

I lost my first prop and adapter. I had tightened everything pretty tight, but it still flew off. I never found it.

Now, I rough up the surface of the motor shaft with some sandpaper or a file. The shaft is very hard, and you have to really work at it to get even a little texture onto it. But it has worked so far.

Dave
Jun 12, 2008, 02:27 AM
Hi

I'm thinking of getting this model and have been looking at a couple of different motors, I was wondering if you guys could give me your thoughts on them and if they will suit this model

the specs for the first are

* Dimensions: L35mm D36mm
* Shaft Dia: 4mm
* Weight: 103g
* 300w
* Kv: 1000
* Working Current: 8-25A
* Max Current: 30A (15 secs)
* Suggested ESC: 25-40A

the second is

* 200w
* RPM/V: 1100KV
* No load current @10 V: 1.0A
* Working current: 5-16A
* Max Current capacity: 18A (60 seconds)
* Internal Resistance: 150 mŮ
* Dimensions: D28 x L35mm
* Shaft diameter: 4mm
* Weight: 72g/2.51oz

I'm thinking the first one sounds best any thoughts on the best prop size

Cheers

Ant
Jun 12, 2008, 06:06 PM

Maiden flight!!

I just had my maiden flight with the Gemini... I used the turningy TR 35-42D 1000kv motor from hobbycity and their 40A ESC.

It was well powered but not overpowered... maybe frop it up a bit. Used a TP 2070 3S liPo.. I just have to figure out how to deal with the short motor leads and short esc leads... dang things rub a bit.

Here is a sloppy video of the flight:

Jun 12, 2008, 06:10 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Ant.d, your first motor looks like the best specs for the Gemini. An underpowered Gem flies, but mine was kind of boring that way. My replacement motor drawing 30+amps turned it into a much funner (I know that isn't a real word).
Jun 13, 2008, 03:17 AM
Cheers Vantasstic

I picked the Gemini up yesterday and all I can say is wow even the packing is a work of art. As with regards to the motor I think I will go with the first motor and hitec hs-55 all round what size prop would you recommend.

I can't wait to get this one in to the air

Ant
Jun 13, 2008, 06:00 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
I use an APC 11x6E prop. I'd suggest starting there or ~12x6 and check the amp draw with a watt meter.
Jun 14, 2008, 04:33 PM
I just brought one of these to take on my European tour this summer. I'm going to need to make the wings removable as I want it to be easy to fit in the back of my Boxster.

I'm thinking 4x 4mm nylon bolts, one on the top/bottom of each wing. has anyone tried this before?

Any recommendations on size/rating of motor? I want to use a cheapish ebay special and my 2200mah 3S 20C lipo packs.
Jun 15, 2008, 11:54 AM
This is glue Strong Stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by JF1980
I just brought one of these to take on my European tour this summer. I'm going to need to make the wings removable as I want it to be easy to fit in the back of my Boxster.

I'm thinking 4x 4mm nylon bolts, one on the top/bottom of each wing. has anyone tried this before?

Any recommendations on size/rating of motor? I want to use a cheapish ebay special and my 2200mah 3S 20C lipo packs.
Umm.. the wings ARE removable stock out of the box.
Jun 15, 2008, 05:34 PM
Not really, you glue the struts in place so you can't get the wings apart?!?
Jun 15, 2008, 06:20 PM
Lou
Lou
Quote:
Originally Posted by JF1980
Not really, you glue the struts in place so you can't get the wings apart?!?
If you are going to use nylon bolts then I would consider putting a blind nut in the top and bottom of each strut. Also consider using a plastic backer on each wing so that the screw cap will have something to go against.

As far as motors, probably any motor listed in this thread will work fine. A 900 to 1100 kv motor seems to do nicely. Some are using a higher kv motor; it all depends on the prop and battery that you intend to use.
Jun 15, 2008, 07:18 PM
Yes, I'm just trying to work out how I put the nuts in the struts. Good call on the nylon washers.

I have been thinking I could also bolt the tail on. Can't see how I can make the fin removable (would velcro and tape be strong enough?) but even being able to remove the entire assembly would be helpful.

I'm driving down to visit a friend in Switzerland this summer. He is in to RC too and it would be great if I can take something of my own to fly as I never feel comfortable flying other peoples models!
Jun 15, 2008, 07:59 PM
Lou
Lou
Somewhere on this site, I saw a post where a fella drilled a hole from the bottom and upwards going through the tail, elevator and partly into the rudder. He then put a blind nut in the base of the rudder and used a bolt to hold the rudder/elevator to the body.

If you did that, then you do not want to glue the plastic piece that holds the tailwheel, into the tail of the body. You should be able to still attach the plastic piece and the tail wheel to the rudder, just don't glue it to the body.

Quick Reply