Jul 28, 2015, 01:47 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob
I think what might help is to remember on biplanes to always leave a little power on to "pull the nose through." Never go to complete 'dead stick'.

Also you might want to practice your 'wheels' touch and goes (touch main gear only, then fly out), so that your normal approach and touch down parameters are all down pat.

From that point, for a completed landing, it's just a matter of closing the throttle and "pinning " the tail to the ground using full up elevator during your final landing roll and taxi-in.

Enjoy!
Yeah I know those tidbits in my head but they're not part of my muscle memory as of yet.

A lot of my landings are on very forgiving planes like the Parkzone T-28, so they allow me to get into bad habits. I also tend to bring the Gemini in relatively fast in comparison to a final approach I'd shoot with the Trojan. I do a lot of touch and goes with the Trojan, have been reluctant to do similar on the Gemini with it's "oo grass! noseover!" tendencies.

Just got to get an idea of how much I can slow the Gemini down without it dropping a wing.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2016, 09:02 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
Wheel pants + grass field = very frequent nose overs.

Saw a couple Gemini at a fun fly a few weeks ago they had all removed the wheel pants and said they never had nose over issues. I'm debating. The wheel pants really make the look but make for headaches.

Has anyone been successful carving out the wheel gap in front and behind the wheels to make more clearance? Would that make a difference? Or is it going to be all or nothing, wheel pants means nose overs until I take them off entirely
Jun 19, 2016, 09:53 AM
I can't believe that no discussion on this plane in a year, wow.
This is one of my favorites!

Regarding the wheel pants, I think if you carve it out too much it will look funny and destroy the aesthetics that you describe.
I did replace my wheels with rubber ones, but I land on tarmac, not grass.
Maybe take the wheel pants off and put some oversize wheels on and go for a bit of the tundra plane look.
Jun 19, 2016, 10:00 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
Discontinued plane gets no love I guess. Flew like a sweetheart for me, I'm still working on being more precise with some maneuvers and this bird was a doll baby, rolling inverted and pull elevator, half loop and roll out of inverted (I always mix up maneuver names). Doesn't like to slow down much, will have to work on that some up high.
Jun 19, 2016, 11:14 AM
Crash tests done dirt cheap!
Love my Gemini and hate that it's been discontinued. Reinforced the stock LG, using a bit larger foam wheels and discarded the wheel pants. Fly off grass and cured most of my noseover issues by shifting the CG back a bit. Slows down the landings considerably. I find that most factory recommended CGs are VERY conservative.
Jun 19, 2016, 08:27 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
I've got two coins under the chin I could adjust cg with as I get used to it. Just so reluctant to give up on the wheel pants for the look.

Quick Reply