Oct 01, 2014, 04:21 AM
One thing I didn't like about the Gemini was that lumps of lead I had to add to the nose to get it balanced - about 3 oz, not easy to find space for it and made it too fast for bipe flying. Anyone else found the same?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 01, 2014, 08:19 AM
Crash tests done dirt cheap!

Nope, no lead...

No lead needed in my Gemini, and in fact I have to place the 2200 lipo all the way back to get it to balance. Using a Turnigy D3530/14 1100Kv 315W Brushless Outrunner which is a bit more motor than needed but it flies great.
Oct 01, 2014, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumpel
No lead needed in my Gemini, and in fact I have to place the 2200 lipo all the way back to get it to balance. Using a Turnigy D3530/14 1100Kv 315W Brushless Outrunner which is a bit more motor than needed but it flies great.
That's weird, because I used a similar motor etc - and without lead it wouldn't have balanced at all??? I wouldn't get another for that reason ( anyway, I eventually wrecked mine - trying to land up a tree..!)
Oct 01, 2014, 10:45 AM
I've got a 37mm 145gram motor in mine. No weight needed with that, and it flys perfectly. Hauls A$$ too with a 11x5.5 and 2200ma bats.

For the landing gear, this plane looks a lot better (to me) with the wheels, and even better with the pants too. I replaced the stock wheels with normal rubberish wheels too.

I really like this plane and fly it often.
Oct 01, 2014, 11:46 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
I'll have to see how well these wheel pants and wheels handle my home field, I'd like to keep them if at all possible. I have enough hand launchers.
Oct 01, 2014, 02:20 PM
Diverted by planks
I fly off a pretty rugged grass/dirt field, and the wheel pants have worked surprisingly well -- never even think about them anymore.
Oct 01, 2014, 08:44 PM
chuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_99
I've got a 37mm 145gram motor in mine. No weight needed with that, and it flys perfectly. Hauls A$$ too with a 11x5.5 and 2200ma bats.

For the landing gear, this plane looks a lot better (to me) with the wheels, and even better with the pants too. I replaced the stock wheels with normal rubberish wheels too.

I really like this plane and fly it often.
thats the way! never could understand adding lead when the motor is in the best place for needed weight .
Oct 07, 2014, 10:31 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
Hmm how well does foam Tac work on Elapor?
Oct 08, 2014, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool
I've used Foam Tac on foam that seems to similar to Elapor, and it did OK.

I do know that CA works perfectly. This was my 3rd season with the Gemini built with CA, and it's doing great.
Oct 08, 2014, 09:59 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
Yeah CA is what's called for in the manual, I just happen to be out of CA and have some Foam Tac, so I debate.
Oct 08, 2014, 12:28 PM
If it were me, I'd go to the hobby shop and get some regular CA. We know that works.
Oct 08, 2014, 04:44 PM
Lou
Lou
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool
The manual calls for CA ( not the foam safe CA ). You can try the Foam Tac on a couple of scrap Elapor pieces and see how it goes. The deal with elapor is that you do not use foam safe CA on it. If Foam Tac does not fall into that catagory then give it a try.
Oct 08, 2014, 06:26 PM
Diverted by planks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou
The manual calls for CA ( not the foam safe CA ).

The deal with elapor is that you do not use foam safe CA on it.
Or epoxy, either, IIRC. I seem to remember that epoxy just doesn't bond well to the sort of 'waxy' surface of the Elapor. Any sort of bend or stress, and the epoxy lifts up as a sheet.

However, and again, I can't absolutely recall this, it seems that the FoamTac type glues did work well, because they are kind of more pliable and adhesive, and as long as you don't require them to have zero 'give', they work well.

(not my ad, so it's just information)
Quote:
Foam-safe FOAM-TAC bonds DepronTM, EPP, BlueCorTM fanfold, StyrofoamŪ (EPS), Elapor, Florist's Foam, XPS, EPO, CELLFOAMTM and others - as well as carbon fiber, balsa wood, plywood, fabric, leather, and many plastics
Will not attack, melt or dissolve foams - holds quickly and cleanly.
Remains permanently flexible once dry, never hard or brittle.
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=G4154743

Everyone needs to understand though, that there ARE differences even within similar type glues. Like while Foam Tac seems relatively safe on everything I've tried, but Welders Glue (which is awesome) has a much more volatile nature, so it melts a lot more foam types. TEST FIRST!
Oct 08, 2014, 07:34 PM
Lou
Lou
Yep, can't use epoxy either to glue Elapor together; it is just not a good idea. I tried Welders once and was not careful and you are so correct...I melted some stuff.

Now, I have cheated a bit with epoxy and Elapor. I have mixed 15 minute epoxy with Micro Balloons and used epoxy mix to create an outside shell to rebuild a nose on a MiniMag and to fill in a leading edge that was damaged by an errant tree.

It will hold pretty well but only because the Micro Balloons are a catalyst and create a high thermic reaction. The thermic reaction is just enough to soften the Elapor and cause it to bond with the epoxy. Obviously one would not want to assemble an Elapor kit with this method. So the bottom line is that epoxy is not to be used to put a kit together.

I now use 2 part PolyU and mylar to rebuild leading edges and other surfaces. A little more effort but works better and is lighter than filling in with epoxy.
Oct 26, 2014, 01:08 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
Slowly starting the build. Looks like most of the decals will go on after construction except the ones on the wings, is that the rough idea?

Quick Reply