Mar 14, 2012, 10:25 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
What makes you think they quit making them? NOT listed as a discontinued product on the MPX site.

Wolfe
to remove ads between posts
Mar 14, 2012, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_horn
Took my Gemini up today for the first time in several months. Man she flies nice. Why the heck did they quit making them?
Who says they stopped making it?
Mar 15, 2012, 09:37 AM
Fill'er Up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_horn
Took my Gemini up today for the first time in several months. Man she flies nice. Why the heck did they quit making them?
Still being sold. Buy 'em up!

To Ty's benefit, a year or so ago, I mentioned Tower shows all replacement parts for the Gem are discontinued. This USUALLY means MPX is discontinuing the model. They as yet have not discontinued. Makes me wonder if MPX just have a lot of pre-made new kits laying around and have yet sold them all.
Mar 15, 2012, 10:26 AM
I think it's an inside trader act to have a run on the Gemini.

Also, I wanted to clarify my previous post about landing the Gemini on tarmac. I think the plane is plenty capable, I'm just not very good at it.
Mar 16, 2012, 07:06 PM
Ran a few packs through the Gemini this evening. The weather was great. I just love watching her go vertical while quickly rolling. Landing on asphalt has been a sore spot for me but I don't have a problem with the springy gear. I greased my two landings this evening. The problem is those stock foam wheels grab the asphalt on roll out and throw the airplane all over the place. I ended the evening with one of the tires tearing in two and flying off the wheel. Time to search this thread for solutions. Maybe I'll try that Mini Pulse gear that I read about a few pages back.
Mar 16, 2012, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC Chilli
Ran a few packs through the Gemini this evening. The weather was great. I just love watching her go vertical while quickly rolling. Landing on asphalt has been a sore spot for me but I don't have a problem with the springy gear. I greased my two landings this evening. The problem is those stock foam wheels grab the asphalt on roll out and throw the airplane all over the place. I ended the evening with one of the tires tearing in two and flying off the wheel. Time to search this thread for solutions. Maybe I'll try that Mini Pulse gear that I read about a few pages back.
I'm having the same problem. I glued the 'tires' to the 'wheels' and that seemed to help but I think I'll still get some real DUBRO wheels. Otherwise, I love this little plane. It's certainly my new favorite.
Mar 16, 2012, 08:59 PM
Philippians 4:13
Funny,
after reading all of your posts, I looked into it and there sure isn't any indication that they have infact quit making the Gemini. I remember a year or so ago (like mentioned above) that everyone was freaking out because word on the street was that they had discontinued this beloved plane... weird. Well, GOOD.
Mar 16, 2012, 09:00 PM
Philippians 4:13
Quote:
Originally Posted by seojeff
I'm having the same problem. I glued the 'tires' to the 'wheels' and that seemed to help but I think I'll still get some real DUBRO wheels. Otherwise, I love this little plane. It's certainly my new favorite.
and in a few years you will say that this plane is your old favorite
Mar 24, 2012, 10:24 PM
Diverted by planks
Hey, Gemini crowd!

Looks like this is not such an active thread anymore, but thought I would come by and say Hi and get subscribed -- just picked up a used Gemini (airframe only) this morning for twenty bucks at our local field! Of course, it's been beat on a little bit (okay ,a lot! heh heh) but it seems relatively sound for my purposes -- just basic bipe familiarization and trainingl.

I was hoping I could breath some life back into the old girl, but also keep out of pocket costs to exactly nil, by using all the stuff I had laying around stripped off an old crashed Stinson -- 480 motor, ESC, servos, uses same 2200 3S battery, etc.

I know the 480 isn't going to be the 'hot tip' in terms of blistering performance, but I figured if the Gemini has the pep the Stinson did, then it still ought to be a good sport/trainer bipe for me, as a fairly new pilot.

I needed to take the shaft out of the stock Stinson PZ 480 and turn it around, but other than that all the stuff I had laying around the house worked as-is to get it fully functional. Plugged it into my new DX8, did controls check, rough bench trim, and run up using the Stinson 9.5X7.7 prop, and it all looks good for maiden tomorrow morning!

Wish me luck, I'll try to remember to catch some video. I'll also try to read through the thread tomorrow evening, I'm sure lots of people have done the same -- had a Gemini frame, and some sort of ParkZone (Corsair, Mustang, etc) that bit the dust, and moved all their gear over.
Mar 24, 2012, 10:27 PM
PSALM 14:1
It should fly fine with all the Stinson stuff, but I think it could be better with a prop change.

The GWS 11x7HD props work GREAT on the stock PZ480 setups.

Good luck on the maiden!
Mar 24, 2012, 10:41 PM
Diverted by planks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70
It should fly fine with all the Stinson stuff, but I think it could be better with a prop change.

The GWS 11x7HD props work GREAT on the stock PZ480 setups.

Good luck on the maiden!
Thanks for the info!

I just looked through my parts bin, and I do have an 11x7, but its a G/F 3 Series from Master Airscrew.

The only thing I'm a little leery of right now is if that will get me towards the limit (or over!) that that 30A ESC can handle... no external BEC for servos, either...

I just packed in my Fantasy Racer, and a contributing factor, I believe, is that the ESC motor driver failed in flight while the servos were still okay, but the motor power loss was a critical time.

I had down-propped on the FR in order to go to 4S, but I observed right up front that I was running 48 or 49 amps on a 50 'rated' ESC, so the overhead I hoped was in the ESC to protect me from myself was not there.

I think since the Gemini is all buttoned up right now, I'll at least try it as-is tomorrow for reference. Then later on back at the bench, I'll baseline watts and amps, followed by changing to the 11x7 prop to see what that does to current draw and overall power consumption.
Mar 24, 2012, 10:50 PM
PSALM 14:1
The MAS prop will probably be too much.

The GWS 11x7HD prop will work 110% fine with the stock 30a esc, stock motor, etc. You'll just need to ream the prop to fit the stock prop adaptor.

We've got several PZ480 powered birds swinging the GWS props with TONS of combined flights with zero issues...
Mar 24, 2012, 10:51 PM
Diverted by planks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70
The MAS prop will probably be too much.

The GWS 11x7HD prop will work 110% fine with the stock 30a esc, stock motor, etc. You'll just need to ream the prop to fit the stock prop adaptor.

We've got several PZ480 powered birds swinging the GWS props with TONS of combined flights with zero issues...
Cool, glad to hear it!

Mar 25, 2012, 10:09 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Grats on the Gemini, Tracknoob. She is one of my favorite airplanes. I would suggest a prop with a more shallow pitch, though, on that motor - either a 10x5 or an 11x5.5.

Wolfe
Mar 25, 2012, 04:14 PM
Diverted by planks
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde
Grats on the Gemini, Tracknoob. She is one of my favorite airplanes. I would suggest a prop with a more shallow pitch, though, on that motor - either a 10x5 or an 11x5.5.

Wolfe
Thanks for the feedback -- definitely seems to be a lot of fliers pushing me in that direction, and I have found ignoring that advice is usually a mistake!

I did maiden the Gemini today, but with all the hub-bub of it being a Fun-Fly event for us, and particularly high winds, and tons of people on the flight line, I just plumb forgot to hook up a video for either glasses cam or plane cam, as I normally like to do.

But I can report that the 480 and other gear transplant into the Gemini did turn out exactly as I expected: she is now a mild sport flier, but with capabability of going momentarily vertical, and of course doing the requisite rolls, stalls, loops, etc.

I had the original owner (thanks Bob!) help me confirm that CG was where it needed to be, and he and others watched my maiden, and their comments were generally that it is now a good flier and Bob even said he might have had it somewhat overpowered and therefore perhaps a bit heavy in it's last incarnation, making it more of a handful than today's bantam-weight flight proved it to be.

As a noobie, of course I somewhat botched the landing, but it still came out of it wheels up and able to taxi back to the pits without intervention, so that was good.

I think I used about 600 mah of a 2200 pack in it's 5 minute maiden flight, but I did a lot of low-throttle, wings-level trim-checking, so I'm guessing it will consume about what the Stinson did -- 8 min of scale flying = half a 2200 pack; but more if I include acrobatics.

Bob's good karma earned by selling me the airframe at a bargain basement price, then helping with tips and checks during set up and maiden, was later rewarded by him winning a 'grand prize' from today's Fun Fly raffle, and he selected a PZ S.E. 5a WWI bipe -- a very capable aircraft in it's own right.

What a great day!

Quick Reply