Mar 09, 2012, 11:30 AM
Fill'er Up!
Nice!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 09, 2012, 07:50 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Got in 4 batteries on mine tonight - such a good airplane. Kicked all the throws up to 125%. She seems to show a hint of snapping on full up elevator, but she did not actually roll over.

Wolfe
Last edited by wolfewinde; Mar 09, 2012 at 08:00 PM.
Mar 13, 2012, 07:50 PM
Can some of you post photos of how you've arranged your battery hatch & ESC? I have to cram my ESC in on top of the battery & it's just a poor arrangement. I wish the hatch was larger. Looking for ideas. Thanks!
Mar 13, 2012, 07:57 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
I put mine on top of the battery too

Wolfe
Mar 13, 2012, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seojeff
Can some of you post photos of how you've arranged your battery hatch & ESC? I have to cram my ESC in on top of the battery & it's just a poor arrangement. I wish the hatch was larger. Looking for ideas. Thanks!
Not the best picture, but maybe it will help:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2622

I put the battery on it's edge, with Velcro on the side of the fuse.
Since the picture I have moved the ESC to the top inside, opposite side as battery. Gives a little more room to maneuver the battery.
Hint, you don't need full length Velcro in the plane. Too darn hard to get the battery loose. I used a couple of strips on each end and it holds well and not so difficult to get loose.
Mar 13, 2012, 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_99
Not the best picture, but maybe it will help:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2622

I put the battery on it's edge, with Velcro on the side of the fuse.
Since the picture I have moved the ESC to the top inside, opposite side as battery. Gives a little more room to maneuver the battery.
Hint, you don't need full length Velcro in the plane. Too darn hard to get the battery loose. I used a couple of strips on each end and it holds well and not so difficult to get loose.
That helps a lot, thanks Woody_99!
Mar 14, 2012, 02:44 AM
I've also put the battery on its edge on one side of the fuse, and the ESC on the other side. Gives resonable room for a 3s/2200mAh Pack. I keep the battery in place with Velcro pads on the battery/fuse, as well as a Vecro strap around the battery. Probably overkill but it doesn't cost much neither in terms of money nor weight.
Mar 14, 2012, 10:36 AM
I'm running a 40/50 ESC & I think it's too large. Going to try downsizing to a 30 & see if I can fit everything in there better.

Yesterday was my maiden & it flies really well but I'm still having trouble getting consistent straight & level flight. CG was right-on at 75mm behind leading edge of top wing. Are there any guidelines for motor mount thrust angle? The directions pertaining to this adjustment were not very clear.
Mar 14, 2012, 10:47 AM
Got to put 6 more batteries through the new Gemini yesterday. Getting the expo dialed in and more comfortable with the plane. Rolls very nicely. Seems to be a predictable plane.

If I could only land worth a crap, this plane would make me look like a decent pilot.
On tarmac, I bounce it something awful. I think I have it all lined up and slowed down nicely, the mains touch and "boing" back up in the air I go.
I wish our grass was a little more manicured and I would set it down there.

I don't have much experience with tarmac landing, so I need to keep practicing.

Otherwise, I'm really enjoying this plane!
Mar 14, 2012, 10:56 AM
Quote:
I'm running a 40/50 ESC & I think it's too large. Going to try downsizing to a 30 & see if I can fit everything in there better.

Yesterday was my maiden & it flies really well but I'm still having trouble getting consistent straight & level flight. CG was right-on at 75mm behind leading edge of top wing. Are there any guidelines for motor mount thrust angle? The directions pertaining to this adjustment were not very clear.
Take anything I say with a grain of salt, as I am new to this plane as well but can share my recent built/maiden experiances.
I have a big motor in mine, and the CG is right on the spar with the battery in.
I put some down thrust in the motor. A little less than I turn in on the top two and out on the bottom two. Mine was climbing, but with that change it made it right. With the spinner installed, you can see that the top is out further than the bottom. Not very scientific as far as measurement, but it works.

I have a 50 amp CC esc in mine. It takes up a lot of room because it's so thick, but the wire length on my 40 made it a more difficult setup so I velcro'd it to the back inside top behind the hatch.
Mar 14, 2012, 12:37 PM
Fill'er Up!
Quote:

I am really surprised you struggle to get it all in there. I use to run a HK 40/50 SS with external BEC, 2200mah 25C 3S and 3536 motor with lots of room to spare. I now run a Castle 54A and a 1600mah 3S, loads of room. I turn the ESC on its side and velcro it to the side wall. Battery goes next to it.

On the issue of thrust angle, while in flight, go into a straight up vertical on power and if the thrust angle is perfect, the plane will track straight with no change in direction. If it goes to the belly, it needs up thrust added. If it goes to the upper wing, it needs down thrust added. for right angle, if you are trimmed with the rudder straightand it crabs right or left, adjust as needed.

Congrats on the maiden!
Mar 14, 2012, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyhawk
I am really surprised you struggle to get it all in there. I use to run a HK 40/50 SS with external BEC, 2200mah 25C 3S and 3536 motor with lots of room to spare. I now run a Castle 54A and a 1600mah 3S, loads of room. I turn the ESC on its side and velcro it to the side wall. Battery goes next to it.

On the issue of thrust angle, while in flight, go into a straight up vertical on power and if the thrust angle is perfect, the plane will track straight with no change in direction. If it goes to the belly, it needs up thrust added. If it goes to the upper wing, it needs down thrust added. for right angle, if you are trimmed with the rudder straightand it crabs right or left, adjust as needed.

Congrats on the maiden!
Thanks mattyhawk - that's the exact setup I have. I will try the side-by-side configuration. Also, thanks for clarifying the thrust angle stuff - that's exactly what I needed!
Mar 14, 2012, 03:11 PM
I had to re-solder everything & trim the wires but I was able to get it & it's 10x better. Thanks guys!
Mar 14, 2012, 03:28 PM
Fill'er Up!
Hey, there you go!
Mar 14, 2012, 10:00 PM
Philippians 4:13
Took my Gemini up today for the first time in several months. Man she flies nice. Why the heck did they quit making them?

Quick Reply