Jan 20, 2012, 12:20 AM
Fighting Gravity
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC Chilli
Nice Video Matty. I can't wait to get her in the air.

I picked up a APC 11x5.5 at the LHS. I'm pulling 34.9 amps and 374 watts with her. I'll be much more comfortable with this set up till I get used the the aircraft. I got a pretty blue dubro spinner that's 2-1/2 inches in diameter. I think I might get a size or two smaller so I get a little more airflow through the motor.

Nothing left to do but to get her in the air.... and maybe stiffen up the landing gear.

Thanks for your help guys.!
374 watts is ample power and should allow unlimited vertical. Stiffening the landing gear is a great idea as the stock gear is quite springy.

Good luck with the maiden! The Gemini is generally well behaved with a
wide CG tolerance.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 20, 2012, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde

Woody - I would try to shim out the motor mount too so you move the whole front plate forward like Matty suggested. You could have the prop fly off and really hurt someone if you just try to sneak it forward on the shaft.

Wolfe
I'm probably not doing a very good job explaining my question.
What I'm asking about is that if I push the collet all the way up the motor shaft to the motor mount, that will put the prop up against the fuse where it can't spin without hitting.
The manual references 10mm shaft exposed in front of the motor mount, which I have. The manual also references trimming the fuse to meet the spinner. Am I suppose the trim off the front of the fuse?

Hope this makes more sense. I'll try to take a picture.
Thanks!
Jan 21, 2012, 01:40 PM
Fill'er Up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_99
I'm probably not doing a very good job explaining my question.
What I'm asking about is that if I push the collet all the way up the motor shaft to the motor mount, that will put the prop up against the fuse where it can't spin without hitting.
The manual references 10mm shaft exposed in front of the motor mount, which I have. The manual also references trimming the fuse to meet the spinner. Am I suppose the trim off the front of the fuse?

Hope this makes more sense. I'll try to take a picture.
Thanks!
A pic is more helpful, but I think I understood you from the beginning. If you have the 10mm stated in the manual, the prop adapter must be the reason for the discrepancy. You could try a new collet, but which one to try? I dunno.

That is really why I mentioned moving the mount slightly forward. I guess you could slice off part of the cowl, but that would not be my first choice.
Jan 21, 2012, 03:48 PM
Thanks for that feedback. ^^
I grabbed a different collet that I had, and it puts the prop out further, while still seating fully on the motor shaft. Bonus is it works better with the plastic spinner I've installed.

CG with plane flight ready is right on the spar.
Adjusted the control surfaces for low/high rate per the manual, and 30% expo on ale for all rate modes
11x5.5 prop installed with 1000kV 140 gram motor, 50 amp esc, 2200 mAh batteries.
Little bit of down thrust set using sotog motor mount.

Anything basic I omitted in prep for the maiden?
Jan 21, 2012, 04:34 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Sounds like you have it down

Good luck on the Maiden

Wolfe
Jan 23, 2012, 10:24 AM
Fill'er Up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_99
Anything basic I omitted in prep for the maiden?
Yeah, you didn't mention how pumped you are to fly!
Jan 23, 2012, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyhawk
Yeah, you didn't mention how pumped you are to fly!

Good point!
It would be a lot easier if it went's so cold windy and grey lately.

Another technical question. Using the specs for elevator travel, it seems fairly low movement. I've set it to the 10-12mm specs, measured at the widest part by the rudder.
You guys running the stock travel?
Last edited by Woody_99; Jan 23, 2012 at 03:34 PM.
Jan 23, 2012, 06:06 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
I am running 125% end points with 100% throw on the high rates with 60% expo.

Low rates are 40% expo, 90% throws

Wolfe
Jan 23, 2012, 06:35 PM
Fill'er Up!
me too. I put as much elevator as I can in it.

For the first flight though, stick with recommended throws. If you are on the spar, your CG is pretty neutral, so you wan't need a lot of throw.
Jan 23, 2012, 10:33 PM
General Goof
I run stock low rate with 20% expo. High rate is all she'll give. I have a medium rate setup which is somewhat closer to suggested high rate. On the maiden I think you'll find suggested setup nice and gentle with no surprises. Later crank her up and have fun

I love mine
Jan 23, 2012, 10:46 PM
Once again, thanks for the great feedback on the elevator travel. It just looked a little low, but sounds like it will be fine.
I did set up low and high rates, and then one more just a millimeter or so more just in case.
First few flights will be on low rates until I get use to it.

Maybe one day soon, the weather and weekends will coincide again so I can give her a try! Otherwise, I may keep over-thinking it and fix it until its broken.
Feb 03, 2012, 10:16 AM
Finally had a chance to fly the newly built Gemini yesterday! Yea!!

Using the stock settings, I found the ail to be a little sensitive for me so added some more expo. That helped a lot.

Elevator travel at stock was not enough for what I'm use to so, switched to high rate, and will probably use a little more.

I apparently didn't do a good job of installing the tail wheel straight. If I set it up for a good taxi, the rudder is offset and it wants to turn in flight. Not a biggie, but something to fix.

Might need to fine tune the down thrust a bit more. It's pretty close with the few degrees I started with, but a tad more might be in order.

I did notice in a slow aileron turn at mid speed that I lost a lot of altitude. Adding throttle in the turn helped. Is that just the way it is or can I make any adjustment to minimize?

Don't take these comments a negatives. They are just a few fine tuning items from the first flights. I like to share in case someone else is in the same phase I am and could benefit.

All in all, for the first flights it's stable and pretty much stays where you point it.
Not that I'm any good at knife edge yet, but if seems as it might be easy to do the way it flew in a banked turn.

So far I like it, and after a few tweaks may be darn near perfect.

Thanks for everyones help and answering all my questions!!
Feb 03, 2012, 10:41 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
You may just need more up elevator on a slow turn. Grats on a good maiden. You will like this plane more and more as you fly her and get comfortable

Wolfe
Feb 03, 2012, 10:48 AM
chuck
and or ease the cg back.be careful ,little bit at a time!!
Feb 03, 2012, 11:18 AM
Fill'er Up!
yep, +1 on moving the CG back. It can be adjusted with CG to have perfectly axial roll rates and fly inverted with no change in altitude.

Quick Reply