Jun 18, 2007, 08:10 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Correct/Best 2.4Ghz Tx Antenna Orientation

I don't have a 2.4Ghz system yet, but I will most probably be buying one sooner or later, so I was wondering what would be considered the correct/best Tx antenna orientation since the "Donut" gain pattern of the Tx would put a weak signal at the end of the antenna..

For reference, this is the typical gain pattern from a 2.2dBi antenna:

From what I've read over at the XPS forum, Jim Drew recommends that people using the XPS system have the antenna pointed forward, but with the antenna pointed about 45 degrees to the ground. This will put the null/weak signal in the forward part of the Tx, but low to the ground..

However, I'm thinking that for better signal, wouldn't it be better to have the antenna pointed directly either to the left or right, and parallel to the ground? This will put the "Fat" part of the donut gain pattern directly in front of you, and the null/weak signal would be directly to the left or right. Since most, if not all of us will normally turn to face the model, this would eliminate any chance that we will point the antenna at the model..

Comments?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 18, 2007, 08:38 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
I put mine sideways.

It is a natural reaction to turn ones body towards the model. So, the antenna will never be pointed at the model.
My reasoning was exactly the same as yours
Jun 18, 2007, 09:06 PM
Heli's rule!
Yep on my DX7 i have my antenna ent 90 degrees and pointing left. the antenna is paralell to the ground when i fly.
Jun 18, 2007, 11:50 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the confirmation guys...
Jun 19, 2007, 01:44 AM
FHSS won Europe hitherto
And my one:
Jun 20, 2007, 02:36 AM
I tend to hold my TX at about 45 degrees, so I point my antenna at my face.
Jun 20, 2007, 06:55 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
This way, you also have a minimum radiation exposure

Quick Reply