Links for LARGE scale (100%) wanted - RC Groups
Jun 15, 2007, 02:55 PM
Trons and Fumes
Help!

Links for LARGE scale (100%) wanted

I am in need of information on control systems suitable for the remote control of FULL SCALE land vehicles. Does anyone have some links handy for this? I know that some stuff was done with the "Myth Busters" show, and that is the scale I need.

Thanks in advance for any information.

NO LAWS WILL BE BROKEN WITH THIS INFORMATION.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 15, 2007, 09:50 PM
i r cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightme

NO LAWS WILL BE BROKEN WITH THIS INFORMATION.
great i was worried

i think a large scale servo to control the gas and brakes but the steering would be hard
Jun 15, 2007, 10:47 PM
RCAPA #005
Linear actuator for the pedals, although one could use a strong servo to operate the throttle cable on most cars. The steering wheel was controlled with a motor assembly from an electric wheelchair. The R/C system operated a speed control with reverse which operated the motor. It's also been done with a servo operating microswitches that operate the motor.
Jun 18, 2007, 01:52 PM
You could probably tap into the cruise control module to control the throttle.
Jun 19, 2007, 09:43 AM
RCAPA #005
Cruise control modules are usually vacuum operated- if you remove the throttle spring, a full size servo will do just fine.
Jun 19, 2007, 10:22 AM
Trons and Fumes
Thanks for the inputs so far.

A little more detail, it will not have a cruise control. It is off-road only, VW-based Chenowth design, with a VW automatic transmission! (I didn't even know there WAS such a thing..). Currently has a remote system, but archaic and in need of upgrade. Without going to a commercial one-off system, what would be an expected max range of a good commercial RC transmitter system (thinking 50% planes) for Line of Sight land control?
Jun 19, 2007, 08:35 PM
RCAPA #005
Depends on several factors- if you've got the budget and a HAM license, there are better options than a 'regular' commercial hobby radio.
Jun 21, 2007, 08:46 AM
RC LIFER
Contact Mythbusters!

They make full scale RC cars all the time!