This thread is privately moderated by magic612, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 06, 2008, 04:44 PM
Force User
I have to give a big thanks to GPW for the T1 trainer. I know have a plane I can toss in the air and fly. Quick to build and good handling. Think I'm going to name it "RC Puberty".

I have tried to get into RC flying several time but cost/gas eng./time consuming kits keep me out. About a year ago six of use decided we were all going to buy an electric RC something fly. Basically we all bought different stuff, some was name brand some not, some was cheap some was over $300. We ended up with 4 Helis and 4 planes, some people bought two. I had bought a simulator, with a USB radio box, that a couple of us shared and we could fly fine in that but the real models had poor handling. They all crashed, didn't matter the claims of "uncrashable", "easy to fly", etc... We quickly learned that all the companies, and hobby shops, want to do is sell product. They want you to crash so you have to buy new parts and kits. After a couple of months everyone was done with giving there money to these shysters and most of the stuff end up in a crash can. I had the simulator and found out about FFF building but wasn't able to find and foam. Well the last time I was on vacation and driving from northern Cal. to southern I happened to stop for a bite where there was a Lowes and decided "What the heck,I'll look for foam". They had some of the cheap Protection board so left to finish my vacation. On my way back home I stopped at the spot and was thinking "Is this fate, destiny, karma?", so I bought a bundle and crammed into the back set of my little car. I sceptically of whether foam insulation could really have aerodynamics so I built the T1 and taped on knifes and forks (I don't why) for weight and hand tossed it. IT FLY! I decided if I was going to try again I would do it right. I bought brand new electronics, Lipo battery (have 2 now), brushless motor, and good servos. I put it together slowly over a week and now I try to fly the T1 every morning before work.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 09, 2008, 10:56 AM
check for reversed controls
Foam is addicting it's truely amazing how well it makes flyable R/C planes.Now that you sound hooked you wont be able to walk or drive past foam with out thinking of all the wonderfull flying machines you could make outta it. Another GPW inspired design that's quick to build and a great flier is the Stealth B-2 sorta scale revisted https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747046 I've built 5 of em and not tired of it yet
Last edited by alpea 41; Apr 09, 2008 at 11:09 AM.
Apr 12, 2008, 02:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpea 41
Foam is addicting it's truely amazing how well it makes flyable R/C planes.Now that you sound hooked you wont be able to walk or drive past foam with out thinking of all the wonderfull flying machines you could make outta it. Another GPW inspired design that's quick to build and a great flier is the Stealth B-2 sorta scale revisted https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747046 I've built 5 of em and not tired of it yet
Your just having to much fun Al Take care, Chellie
Apr 13, 2008, 12:55 AM
check for reversed controls
Chellie , And sometimes foam finds me.Was flying this a.m. behind new community colledge at Colledge Park .And when the 9 a m Santa Anna wind came up it blew a 4' x8' sheet of 1" thich polystyrene insulation foam off a building site right up against the side of my van.What the heck I took it home.LOL
May 01, 2008, 02:14 PM
Ajutor de băgător de seamă
I, along with quite a few others, owe kram242 some big thanks for his tutorials and help with Google's SketchUp.

Serban
May 21, 2008, 04:12 PM
Blood Gir
Thank you to everyone!
Jun 21, 2008, 04:40 AM
To date i have built 4 planes form the free plans, they all work & I have only been disapointed with the pefrormance of one because I built it fat & with insufficient power. Tahnks to the designers for inspiration, plans & a departure from the 'Norm'.

Test flew Infineon today, absolutely brilliant.
Last edited by slowflow; Jul 12, 2008 at 02:08 AM. Reason: test fly comment added
Jul 28, 2008, 02:39 PM
I would like to thank Kosh and Dekan for the work they put in on the F-22 foamie. What a great flyer. Here's a video of 24" version. It's been built from small size to large.

(3 min 31 sec)
Sep 04, 2008, 03:56 AM
Bill Dewey

Thanks,Porter & Blu-Baby

This is my first attempt at remarks on the forum. I just came on to thank all the fellows for the plans and good information. I am a old codger that gave up
RC gliders about 15 years ago and just came back to RC and foamies about
a year ago. What do I see when I open this thread but a Pilatus Porter one of the planes I am building (put away till winter). I am building it from a combination of balsa and foam because the color scheme I am going to use calls for covering for the wing. It was the color scheme that inspired me to build this plane. The Red bull Porter in the Red Bull plane collection and used
by the Flying Bulls sky diving team.

I am also sending two pictures of two foamies from "Scratchbuilt plans".
My Yak 54 and my Blu-Baby. the Blu Baby is just finished (waiting for elect.
components from HC.
Sep 24, 2008, 11:38 AM

Thanks Golem for your F22 design

This FFF based 22" wingspan is an excellent design for a prop-in-the slot pusher jet. It can be built to fly with 1700 KV Blue wonder or as I did in my case, a 2200 KV 2216-06 that rips the sky. The closed in bottom fuselage really stiffens the plane. I added a 50% top KFm airfoil which really provide a stall free plane with a broad range of flying speeds and attitude. Throw in a pair of thrust vectoring tabs to the elevons and the maneuvers this plane can do are bizarre.

Below is the maiden video with minimal throws. Slow speed flying doesn't occur until about 2 min 10 seconds into the video. Again, thanks Golem for the design. Well done!

(5 min 10 sec)
Sep 25, 2008, 05:30 AM
On a holiday?
Since I'm a newbie to RC I want to thank everyone who has generously shared their knowledge on this forum.

I got hooked by this RC-thing when a friend showed me his JAS-39 Gripen aircraft that looked really good in the air. I thought why no, if he can build and fly it so can I. So I downloaded the plans for jetset44 F-15 and are now having a blast when I 've upgraded it to carry bombs etc.

So I would like to send a special thanks to Steve 'Jetset44' Shumate and his plans which inspired me to explore this world of RC.
Sep 25, 2008, 01:06 PM
Kiss the Sky
Quote:
Originally Posted by boopidoo
Since I'm a newbie to RC I want to thank everyone who has generously shared their knowledge on this forum.

I got hooked by this RC-thing when a friend showed me his JAS-39 Gripen aircraft that looked really good in the air. I thought why no, if he can build and fly it so can I. So I downloaded the plans for jetset44 F-15 and are now having a blast when I 've upgraded it to carry bombs etc.

So I would like to send a special thanks to Steve 'Jetset44' Shumate and his plans which inspired me to explore this world of RC.
Good news, but can I ask how you learnt to fly? Steve's excellent F-15, whilst docile, would surely be a difficult trainer if your first RC model? Your post makes it sound like your first F-15 was also your first PC plane??
Oct 08, 2008, 05:24 AM
I cant believe that this man has not been thanked here

DICK KLINE....

how many of us are now using the KF airfoil....and if you are not...why not
Oct 10, 2008, 03:00 AM
On a holiday?
Quote:
Originally Posted by electriceye
Good news, but can I ask how you learnt to fly? Steve's excellent F-15, whilst docile, would surely be a difficult trainer if your first RC model? Your post makes it sound like your first F-15 was also your first PC plane??
Yup, Steves F-15 was my first RC-model. However I have a glider certificate and have an BSc in Aeronautics and MSc in Mechanical Engineering so I guess these combinations made it easier. However, I did crash a lot in the beginning. This is also because I tend to always fly beyond my limits which results in some crashes but I guess a high learning curve.
Dec 23, 2008, 10:54 AM
2 left thumbs!
Many thanks, the free plans I found here got me back into flying after a long 20 or so year break. I flew the blubaby 24 till my fingers were frostbit this morn, very fun plane, I love the beagle, & am building a mini beagle right now. Yesterday my oldest son & the oldlady say they want a plane too! My whole family is gonna be flyin your guys designs!

Quick Reply