The "Scratchbuilt Foamies" Appreciation Thread - Page 16 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by magic612, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 25, 2017, 04:03 AM
Nice builds
to remove ads between posts
Apr 02, 2017, 12:47 AM
Smish-smash
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...birds/page1044

X-post. Thought I'd share my scratchbuilt Fokker EV.

Cheers!
Apr 20, 2017, 07:00 PM
Im going to scratch build a giant super sportster... LOL wish me luck!
Apr 21, 2017, 05:12 PM
Post not relevant.
Last edited by Ben D Wing; Apr 21, 2017 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Irrelevant post
Jun 23, 2017, 06:27 AM

Pigasus, the plane I'm learning on

https://imgur.com/a/BK6BD#D0kwCBc

This is Pigasus, my scratch built high wing v-tail trainer. I crashed it every now and then and have rebuilt almost every part of it multiple times. When everything is working, it is very well behaved, maybe a tad underpowered and heavy for the wing area.
Jun 28, 2017, 06:40 AM
Sorry, wrong thread...
Last edited by dIggO; Jun 28, 2017 at 08:43 AM.
Aug 02, 2017, 09:54 AM
Multirotor Enthusiast

My "Flying Fish" Trainer

Because my RC Club's flying site is long and narrow and bordered by trees on both sides (!) I wanted a slow flyer so I could get used to stick control. I fly Multirotors and Helicopters but I've experienced some "difficulty" when switching to fixed wings.

So I built a FT Tiny Trainer and added a slow flyer wing. The design of that slow flying wing was gotten here on the FT Forum. Unfortunately I only got to fly once or twice before going through a series of rather spectacularly "catastrophic" crashes. Yeah,...."catastrophic" pretty much covers it.....

I think that most of my troubles were from trying to go to a 4 channel right off the bat and then having problems with the CG. Anyway while I rebuild that FT Trainer (again) I decided to look for plans for a REAL slow 3 Channel flyer.

On Youtube I found the Flying Fish.
The Fish: A Scratch Built Slow-Fly RC Plane (7 min 36 sec)

And the links brought me to a full write up on Flite Test
https://www.flitetest.com/articles/t...ilt-slow-flier

So I printed out the plans and made my own. I used a Sunnsky 2100KV motor equipped with a 8045 prop, an old Tunigy 20A ESC, some 9 Gram Servos, two sheets of dollar tree foam, some colored packing tape from Tape Brothers (a suggestion I picked up from Experimental Airlines).

Pretty much all of the components were from my "spare parts box". The only thing I purchased were the control rods from Flite Test and the Foam Board. (I bought one sheet in white and the other in black)

I followed the plans pretty much as they were printed but found that the fold lines did not really line up with the contours on the top and bottom fuse pieces. So I just let the fuse sides bend around them. I also added internal supports on the fuse sides behind the firewall and beefed up the sides at the points where the bbq skewers penetrated. I also closed off the back of the fuse to give that portion of the fuse assembly more support. I installed the servos on the tail because there was NO WAY I could fit my huge hands inside the fuse to get to them! This meant I had to add some extra supports for the control rods (which I added after this video).

Flying Fish Maiden 07 15 2017 (4 min 23 sec)

After the maiden flight I added some more colored tape and printed out a flying fish logo for the tail as well as a name plate for the front of the fuse.

After a couple of weeks of flying it I have to say that this has become one of my favorites. It's super relaxing to fly and just floats in the air. It is as easy to fly as my UMX Radian (which has the AS3X built in). A couple of the club members have commented that they want to build one as well.
Aug 02, 2017, 04:01 PM
I can't believe I have never thanked Springer and Sloperjoe for their contributions to this group!
I have built at least a couple each of their designs. They are always quick to respond to questions regarding their designs (no matter how "old" those designs are) never condescending and VERY open to suggestion, criticism or review of their work.
Hats off to you both for making this hobby a fun and rewarding experience and the forum an awesome place!
Oct 04, 2017, 04:48 PM
treefinder
Awww shucks! Thanks.