Nov 02, 2002, 02:31 PM
Thread OP

Have you dealt with " BYD " ?

You ask who is ..BYD..? ..read this..

BYD Battery (USA) Corporation has been established since December 1995. Jointed with BYD Battery Co. Ltd in China, BYD USA is one of the largest manufacturers of Ni-Cd, Ni-M-H, and Li-Ion batteries in the world, and the exclusive distributor of BYD battery in North America. Besides BYD rechargeable batteries, we also distribute, from several other Asian manufacturers, various batteries and battery-related electronic products, including battery charger, cell phone battery packs, and rechargeable lighting.

Lots of weekly specials like.....

16 of these guys for $17.95 ....!

http://www.bydusa.com/store.asp?
Last edited by retiredVTT; Nov 03, 2002 at 12:48 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 02, 2002, 02:50 PM
Thread OP

HEY...this is getting SERIOUS...!

..turns out they have a section of their site devoted to US...!

..yeah packs of cells for R/C Aircraft users....!

..so wouldn't that suggest that the cells work..?

Check this out...

2..yes 2, ..like in TWO....packs of 10cells for $35.95...!

quote...
(12 V, 1000 mAh battery pack made of 10 2/3A high quality NiMH cells with 21 Ga silicon wire.
Specially design for Watt-Age RC Airplanes.
Rapidly charge up, no memory effect and long cycle life.
Yes, you will get 2 pcs batteries and Save 50 % or more than any on-line stores !)

No...I'm not excited..!
Last edited by retiredVTT; Nov 02, 2002 at 02:55 PM.
Nov 02, 2002, 10:24 PM
No class, no smarts, and ugly
Are you affiliated with them?
Nov 02, 2002, 11:05 PM
Instead of duplicating all of the images here, the preferred method would be simply to post a link to their site. I'm on a cable modem, so it doesn't much matter to me. But if I was on the old 56k modem, by the time all of these images finished loading I'd be pretty upset that I ever bothered to try to read this thread!
Nov 03, 2002, 12:21 AM
Thread OP

Huh..?

Nope....no affiliation...just a retired modeller on a fixed income..

You mean there are still people on 56K modems...where?

Bill
Nov 03, 2002, 12:32 AM
DNA
DNA
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/poll...ults&pollid=55
Nov 03, 2002, 01:32 AM
I'm All Thumbs

You get what you pay for...

Cheap batteries may not be so cheap.
Like I'm going to send my 2 speed 480's,2 mini servos,ESC,Rx and TwinJet up with who knows how old junked batteries?I don't care if they
have never been used (that's part of the issue) I'm not flying with them.
Now if you want to offer some New,name brand cells at a cutthroat price
I'm listening.
Nov 03, 2002, 02:23 AM
Would you mind to pick up some of those battery and provide ezone members with test result. Your lucky you got lots of time for the hobby
Nov 03, 2002, 11:39 AM
Thread OP
Yup...know what you mean...but until 8 weeks ago did anybody really know the name... High Energy....or HE for short...but in the last two months the HE1100 NiMh (which is actually a 1000mah cell) has sold like wildfire and shoved the Sanyo 600AE to the back burner as far as powering the speed 400 size planes which includes a pile of mini Mega speedsters and several are drawing up to 20 amps and having durations of 9 minutes or more..

No, gentlemen, don't shoot the messenger..! It would appear that nobody has tried these cells yet...and I would like very much to try them. Enough so that I went online to discover that the shipping fee was $13.00 for 16 cells and only $16.00 for 64 cells so obviously a larger order should be gotten.

Now that I see that they are actually producing packs for R/C modellers I have even more interest...

Considering that some modellers are using Radio Shack cells and others are using GP cells.....this is just another brand and especially if we are not cooking the devil out of them, they may work out fine.. Time will tell. Your right that they should be tried.

Bill
Nov 03, 2002, 11:51 AM
Straight up is all I ask

OK retiredvtt

Those 2/3 a cells look to me like the same cells that will only deliver 8 amps to start and 5 to 6 amps for the rest of your flight . A year ago I spent good money on these for my zagi >they could barely keep it in the air. I would suspect the worst of these old surplus cells sorry for the bitterness but at the time I spent $4 per cell . My pack died recently without ever putting a smile on my face .
Nov 03, 2002, 12:15 PM
Thread OP

..good feedback..

..hey I don't mind a negative feedback ....I just want feedback....but in particular I'm looking for modellers who have actually dealt with this company....good or bad.....and if I don't hear from anyone I guess we will have to try them out.

Bill
Nov 03, 2002, 12:44 PM
Thread OP

Re: OK retiredvtt

Quote:
Originally posted by jmolwitz
Those 2/3 a cells look to me like the same cells that will only deliver 8 amps to start and 5 to 6 amps for the rest of your flight . A year ago I spent good money on these for my zagi >they could barely keep it in the air. I would suspect the worst of these old surplus cells sorry for the bitterness but at the time I spent $4 per cell . My pack died recently without ever putting a smile on my face .

..they "look to me like the same cells".......Humm..

..not sure these 2/3A 1000NiMh would be surplus..! ..this size cell has not been around too long has it..?

..was there no guarantee with your cells....did you complain....was there even a company to complain too...?

....just trying to get "the rest of the story"....

Bill
Nov 03, 2002, 01:17 PM
retiredVTT, use the search, there is already a thread on the 2/3A BYD cells, plus some have made packs and gotten performance numbers from them - haven't seen long term use f/b though. There is also comments from use of their Sub-C cells. iirc the BYD deal was more or less picked up on Anandtech hotdeals forum and posted here?
Nov 03, 2002, 01:24 PM
Thread OP

..thanks Peter..!

..I do forget sometimes about that wonderful search feature...!

Bill
Nov 03, 2002, 01:37 PM
Thread OP

Ah...the wonders of a "search"...

..lots of info here...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&highlight=BYD

..and the bottom line is ....the BYD 2/3A 1000NiMh cell appears only good for 6 to 8 amps without overheating.....!

So, we stay with our little HE man...and draw 12 - 16 amps..

Bill

Quick Reply