Jun 11, 2007, 09:19 PM
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Setting up the EK2-0704A E-sky Head Holding/Rate Gyro

First, the stock E-sky 6CH Tx with a GYRO.SW switch is only good for switching to HH mode and Normal rate mode(switch down is HH mode), and will only work if the gyro remote gain wire is plugged in to CH5 of the Rx.
NOTE: With the gyro remote gain wire plugged in to CH5 you can NOT adjust the gain of the gyro with the stock E-sky Tx or manually adjust the gain control pot on the gyro. You will need a new PROGRAMMABLE Tx to adjust the gain remotely.

So if you are using a STOCK 6CH or 4CH Tx use the method below to adjust your E-sky HH gyro or Telebee:

Do NOT connect the gyro remote gain wire.

I confirmed that WITHOUT using the gyro remote gain wire, then 50% or more of gain on the gyro control pot is heading hold mode and 49% (maybe less) or less is normal rate mode. So, if you want to use Head Holding mode then make sure the pot is 50% or more. The more percentage the more the gain.

IMPORTANT: Use the Rudder Trim on the Tx to take out the left and right servo CREEP(I only had to move my Trim one notch to the left) as explained in this Video "HDX300 Tail and Gyro setup" from Finless Bob: http://www.helifreak.com/viewtopic.php?t=17482
After watching the video, it seems that this E-sky HH Gyro is basically a Telebee, Zoom, Align, E-flite90, etc... without the Reverse switch.
As it lacks reverse switch, if heli rotates like crazy on spin up, then put the gyro on the other side of frame, as some servos are reversed internally, still with 3-prongs facing rear(tail servo plug).

Got this from a forum:
E-sky EK2-0704A weighs 8 grams stock, without casing, shortened wires, and no remote gain wire the gyro only ways about 3 grams.

Iím not an expert so please correct any errorís

This Honey Bee King V2 is using Stock E-sky servos and a EK2-0704A E-sky Head Holding Gyro.
RCHelicopterShop.com - ESky Honey Bee King 2 - Stunt Flight (4 min 13 sec)
Last edited by KidNovak; Jun 11, 2007 at 10:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 11, 2007, 10:46 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
Thanks for your post! I'm appalled by the lack of instructions that accompanies most E-Sky products, this gyro notwithstanding. I'm currently using one to setup with a Belt CP and Hitec Eclipse 7, so supposedly I won't have the same problem? Hopefully...

Doubletap
Jul 29, 2007, 09:08 AM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Thanks KidNovak for this post. It was very helpful getting mine setup. Let's bump this to the top for other folks.
Jul 29, 2007, 09:12 AM
Team Mulikow
To put the ESky hh gyro into manual hh mode, connect the gyro sense cable to any open channel BUT flip it so that the cable connects to ground or negative of rx. You then make your adjustments on the gyro pot. Keeping the gyro sense cable disconnected puts the gyro in rate mode.

For the Telebee, keeping the gyro sense cable disconnected, puts it in hh mode.
Jul 29, 2007, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino CP
To put the ESky hh gyro into manual hh mode, connect the gyro sense cable to any open channel BUT flip it so that the cable connects to ground or negative of rx. You then make your adjustments on the gyro pot. Keeping the gyro sense cable disconnected puts the gyro in rate mode.

For the Telebee, keeping the gyro sense cable disconnected, puts it in hh mode.
Interesting. So, even though I have the Tx gyro switch flipped down, I'm still in rate mode without the orange wire connected ?

And your'e saying the orange plug should be installed backwards ?

I'm flying the King V2 with the stock 6 channel Tx and Rx.
Last edited by Al P; Jul 29, 2007 at 09:32 AM.
Jul 29, 2007, 09:37 AM
Team Mulikow
Yes. the Tx switch doesn't matter if the gyro sense cable is not connected. The gyro is in rate mode. Adjustments can be made on the gyro pot.

When the gyro sense cable if flipped, the single cable now lines up with the rx negative pin. This puts the gyro in hh mode. You make adjustments on the gyro pot.

To verify your settings, when the gyro is in rate mode, the servo arm returns to neutral when you move the rudder stick to one side then release. The gyro is in hh mode when you move the rudder stick to one side, then slowly release, and the servo arm stays put to one side and does not return to center.
Jul 29, 2007, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Yes. the Tx switch doesn't matter if the gyro sense cable is not connected. The gyro is in rate mode. Adjustments can be made on the gyro pot.

When the gyro sense cable if flipped, the single cable now lines up with the rx negative pin. This puts the gyro in hh mode. You make adjustments on the gyro pot.

To verify your settings, when the gyro is in rate mode, the servo arm returns to neutral when you move the rudder stick to one side then release. The gyro is in hh mode when you move the rudder stick to one side, then slowly release, and the servo arm stays put to one side and does not return to center.
Thanks for the quick replies Gino. I re-checked my setup and it's definitely in HH... the servo does not return to center.
Jul 31, 2007, 06:55 PM
Quote:

that is false
Jul 31, 2007, 07:05 PM
Team Mulikow
Check the user's manual section on 4ch connection (no gyro sense).

Quote: "Please connect the 3 pin wire directly to the 4CH of receiver, and the gain must be connect with the negative pole of the power supply."

Aug 01, 2007, 06:27 AM
heli addict
Thanks Gino.
Aug 01, 2007, 07:35 AM
BeeZaur 480
I didnt know that gyro was flat like in the pictures of the inside. I figured it had a vertical board with the gyro sensor mounted on it like the eflite and futaba gyros.

Is the telebee similar? is it a flat board with the gyro sensor mounted flat?

The e-sky rate gyro (silver first one) even has the gyro sensor mounted on a vertical board so it can be mounted correctly. I guess i just assumed since the rate type was built this way the HH unit would be also.
Aug 01, 2007, 08:05 AM
Is the servo "creep" coming from the gyro itself and is there a way to permanently remove it ? It takes a minute before each flight to work the rudder trim both ways and stop the servo from wandering. However, after that the tail holds pretty well.
Aug 01, 2007, 08:28 AM
heli addict
You can try unpluging it after it warms up, say a minute or so, and then plug it back in right away while the electronics are still warm. That way it can re-set itself while it's warm and that may stop the creep. I have one of these on order so I will find out first hand when it gets in.
Aug 01, 2007, 09:24 AM
Team Mulikow
Yup, that's temperature drift. The gyro output is affected by ambient temperature. Just adjust the rudder subtrim if it bothers you. Another method is to adjust the subtrim during the hours you normally fly. That way, temperature would be close.
Aug 01, 2007, 02:04 PM
I recieved my 0704A yesterday and am planning to use it on my HB CP2 if possible. Anyone got any good howto with pics that explains how to use it with the original 4 in 1 ?

Peter

Quick Reply