Jun 11, 2007, 08:59 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Super Miss (aileron Version) By Hobby Lobby

I just received this plane and started to put it together. I ran into my first stumbling block. The servo that mounts on the underside of the wings, does this sit on the wing or do I have to cut away some balsa wood to have in sit in the wing? If anyone has put this plane together, I need some help.

Thanks,
Scott
to remove ads between posts
Jun 11, 2007, 09:22 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by zagiflyer67
I just received this plane and started to put it together. I ran into my first stumbling block. The servo that mounts on the underside of the wings, does this sit on the wing or do I have to cut away some balsa wood to have in sit in the wing? If anyone has put this plane together, I need some help.

Thanks,
Scott
Scorpio Super Miss - RC Groups

I hope this link comes through. I'm not real good at cut and paste. But it's a link to the Super Miss build and shows how the aileron servo is done.
Jun 12, 2007, 12:09 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the help. The link did not show up. Is the link for a place here in RC Groups?
Jun 12, 2007, 01:20 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida

Thanks Sir, that's exactly the links I was trying to post, but unfortunately I'm about as adept at computers as I am flying hahahahahahah!
Jun 12, 2007, 01:46 PM
Well, I think I have the advantage with computers, but my flying...? That's yet to be determined.
Jun 13, 2007, 04:22 PM
Thread OP
Sir, I am with you as far as the flying goes. The jury is still out.
Jun 13, 2007, 04:32 PM
Thread OP
I was looking at the link that was attached and my Super Miss has some suttle differences as far as the wing assembly goes. My wing has only one area for a brace. I am assuming that I cut the balsa away just enough to fit my servo. I am going to have to look at these closer when I get home.
Jun 13, 2007, 04:38 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by zagiflyer67
I was looking at the link that was attached and my Super Miss has some suttle differences as far as the wing assembly goes. My wing has only one area for a brace. I am assuming that I cut the balsa away just enough to fit my servo. I am going to have to look at these closer when I get home.
What it looks like to me is, there should be a servo tray that your servo attaches to, then you have to cut out a square section to match the size of the servo tray. Then you glue the servo tray into the hole that you cut into
the wing. If the Super Miss didn't come with a servo tray, I would buy one which would make the process easier.
Jun 13, 2007, 09:47 PM
I cut a cavity in the wing to receive the servo and epoxied the servo tray top to that opening. With that in place, I screwed the servo to the tray and the set-up works fine. This is my first aileron plane and I have only had two flight attempts (with me at the control after an experienced pilot had her airborn.) The first one was brief as I had to make some adjustments with the servo linkage. I also went from a 9 x 6 prop to a 8 x 4 with much better control on the second flight.
Jun 16, 2007, 08:46 PM
Thread OP
Broe,
I cut the cavity in the wings but the servo tray top (if you can call it a tray) is not thick enough. I was wondering how the three pieces of the tray supposedly goes together. Plus, I am missing something because each time I look at this it is not clear how the cord for the servo is able to be out of the wing. I guess I am not very good at building kits.

-Scott
Jul 04, 2007, 06:34 PM
Scott:

Did you figure out how to mount the aileron servo? I cut a small slot in the servo cavity for the wire to run out the bottom of the wing. When I mounted the servo tray top, I did add a small shim provide a better base for the epoxy. I did not use the other two pieces of the tray sides.
Aug 11, 2007, 11:26 AM
Thread OP
Broe: I think I figured it out. Now I am having problems mounting the motor. I went and bought some longer M3 .5 screws. I used the two holes provided but that did not seem to hold the motor since there was plenty of wiggle so I attemted to make to more holes to use the four mounting holes. so far it is turning into a mess. I can not seem to get the fourth hole to line up without stripping the threads.
Aug 11, 2007, 11:27 AM
Thread OP
The one thing that is fustrating is, I bouoght the kit in May, it is now August and have not flown once.
Aug 12, 2007, 02:16 PM
I know what you mean about mounting issues. I bought longer screws and used the two predrilled holes to mount the motor. This is my first aileron plane and after a "hard" landing, the firewall broke thru the two horizontal holes. I drilled two verticle holes and remounted the motor using only those holes since I could not get all four holes to line up. Another "hard" landing and the entire firewall broke out......no other damage. I am in the process of repairing now. I may enlarge all four holes to see if I can get the screws to tread without stripping.

Quick Reply