Nov 01, 2002, 07:43 PM
Thread OP

The Zagi Saga continues (Dual Rates and Threaded Rods)

Well, the ZAGI is finished, and it flys!

Took it for a test glide and all was good, so I sent it off at Long Reef in Sydney, and it flew.

Had a couple of crashes, they just made me smile more when I picked it up and threw it again.

What didn't make me smile was the low battery alarm starting on my Flash 5 about 5 minutes into flying. I guess playing around with endpoints, setting up the Elevon mixing, setting the trims etc drained the battery, I thought I would have had more than that.

So, to my two questions:

I had heaps of problems with the "Z Bends" in the control rods, so I went to the LHS and picked up some fully threaded rods, which I was much more comfortable with. The problem is, when I put the 10 degree bend in, they flop to the side because the thread allows it.

It seems to fly OK like this, and looking at it, it doesn't seem like I actually need the 10 Degree bend, with the throws set as per the manual having the rods flat seems like it would work.

Does anyone have any input on how to stop them flopping over or whether I need the 10 Degrees bend in it?

Now to the Flash 5. Does anyone else find these radios unituitive and with bad instructions? I am a network engineer, so I deal with a fair bit of technology and instructions, but it always takes me forever to work out stuff on the radio.

I have set the end point adjustment to 50%, as that is all I need at the moment, as far as I can tell - but I was thinking of using dual rate to test out bigger throws as I fly more. When I switch to Dual Rate adjustment, they show 100% both on and off at the moment.

Does that mean 100% of 50%? If it is 100% of 50%, would I better to set my EPA back to 100%, and then use one Dual Rate of 50% and the other of say 75%?

Hope you all understand what I am asking, I am confusing myself now. I would just mess around and test it out, but it is blowing ENE now, and after yesterdays debacle and I don't want to waste a drop of battery power on anything but flying time. Too far to drive to Long Reef to fly for 10 minutes.

Thankyou for all your help, it has been invaluable.

SB
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2002, 08:10 PM
characters welcome!

Re: The Zagi Saga continues (Dual Rates and Threaded Rods)

Quote:
What didn't make me smile was the low battery alarm starting on my Flash 5 about 5 minutes into flying. I guess playing around with endpoints, setting up the Elevon mixing, setting the trims etc drained the battery, I thought I would have had more than that.
Get a 1600mah AA Nimh pack for your radio. No worries after that.
Quote:
Does anyone have any input on how to stop them flopping over or whether I need the 10 Degrees bend in it?
I always solder one clevis onto the rod. Leave the threaded one on the elevon horn.
Quote:
Now to the Flash 5. Does anyone else find these radios unituitive and with bad instructions?
Agreed. They aren't the easiest to figure out but use the instructions and keep messing with it if you think you really need to. I don't use all that EPA, DR and the rest of that stuff. I use the holes in the control horns for input sensitivity adjustments and let my thumbs figure out the rest.

K.I.S.S ya know?

mw
Nov 02, 2002, 04:45 AM
Brett
The D/R will be a percentage of the total travel volume programmed in. So, if the EPA is set to 60%, then 100% d/r will give the full EPA amount (60% of the servo throw), while 50% D/R would give 30% of the max servo throw.

One thing to watch out for with the Flash 5 is something that is not really clear in the insturctions. That is, in many of the settings, you need to adjust both side of the control, either up and down, or left and right. For example, for EPA on the ailerons, you need to set both the left and right EPA. You do this by holding the control stick over to the left or the right at the same time you are adjusting the percentage with the buttons. This is the part the instructions dont really explain, and it can be frustration.
Nov 02, 2002, 09:18 PM
Couple things.
Yes, I feel the same way about the Flash 5 programming interface. To my mind it's a classic example of a hardware person designing a software interface. Try to do a lot of stuff with as few buttons as possible. Common problem with computer radios. On the other hand, I have an RD6000 with an interface that is a joy to use. Unfortunately something is fried inside and I haven't bothered to send it in for repairs. My Stylus's interface isn't much better either.

As for the pushrods.. You can use a dab of CA at one end instead of solder, but either works fine.

BTW, There's a trick to making Z-bends easy. Takes a little non-linear thinking, literally. Make the second bend first, then grab that one crosswise (pliers in line with the long part of the rod) and make the second bend 90 degrees to the first one. Then simply twist the short end back 90 degrees in line with the longer part of the rod. That's hard to describe, but the point is the second bend is crosswise to the first rather than parallel to it.

ian
Nov 03, 2002, 05:54 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally posted by bjaffee
One thing to watch out for with the Flash 5 is something that is not really clear in the insturctions. That is, in many of the settings, you need to adjust both side of the control, either up and down, or left and right. For example, for EPA on the ailerons, you need to set both the left and right EPA. You do this by holding the control stick over to the left or the right at the same time you are adjusting the percentage with the buttons. This is the part the instructions dont really explain, and it can be frustration.
You're telling me. I did my EPA, then stood there looking stupid at my model as up moved 5mm and down moved 20mm. The problem was even worse, because as I was running elevon mixing, I was extremely confused as to which channel was incorrect.

I would check my EPA, and go "BUT I set it to 50%" and it would be showing 100%. Then I worked out how to twiddle the sticks.....

Thanks for the tip on the D/R, I will try it out next time it blows.
Nov 07, 2002, 03:57 PM

flash 5

interface sucks
expo only applies to low rates (like I need it on low rates)
don't push the hidden button

Quick Reply