Jun 09, 2007, 02:17 PM
Dont forget the velcro straps
Thread OP
Discussion

Official F4d Skyray By 6mm Fly Rc Build Thread

WOW, its been a long time a'coming with the skyray, but im pleased to say that it has arrived! thanks to 6mm fly rc for believing in the design, and sticking their necks out to get it kitted. i was very exited to build my own kit, and seeing as how this was skyray #11 for me in the last 10 months, it went very well. infact, i havnt had a ray of my own for about 5 months! so i was very exited to crack open the box on the kit. i worked closely with 6MM on the canopy and the plans, and they did a GREAT job on the kit. all together it took about 4 hrs to build the airframe, and about 6 hrs to prep the surface, paint and install all the radio gear...obviously it can be painted in less time, but im pretty picky about my paint jobs the purpose of this thread is to provide construction help and a forum to ask/answer questions about the kit, the way it flys, and feel free to post your pics and flight stories heres a little info on the plane, then lets get to the build shall we?

wing span:28"
length:37"
weight:16-20oz
functions:elevons
power: LITTLE SCREAMERS PARK JET or SUPER PARK JET
prop clearance range:5.5-8"

it will take about + or - 1oz of foam safe CA
some 5 minute epoxy
6 CA hinges
paint
radio/power equip

so, lets get to it!
to remove ads between posts
Jun 09, 2007, 02:18 PM
Thread OP

Step 1

heres all the parts cut and layed out

IT MAY BE REQUIRED TO SAND THE EDGES OF THE PARTS to get a nice tight fit, as the laser creates a little ridge on th eedges, this is no big deal, and it sands right off.
Jun 09, 2007, 02:20 PM
Thread OP

Step #2

locate the center wing panel, and one of the outer wing panels

use LOW TACK TAPE to hold the center and outer panels together

after taping them together, fold panel out, CA glue, apply kicker, then fold panel flat again and let dry

MAKE SURE YOU BUILD ON A 100% FLAT SURFACE.

repeat step for the other side.
Jun 09, 2007, 02:21 PM
Thread OP

Step #3

ok, find the AFT center wing panel, alighn tabs, then glue into place using CA.
Jun 09, 2007, 02:24 PM
Thread OP

Step#4

find the carbon spar, and insert in the slot
DO NOT GLUE IN SPAR JUST YET!!

now, using the same low tack tape, holding the tightly to the spar, apply tape over one side of the spar.

remove the spar, but leave the tape.

using 5 minute epoxy, apply a generous amount inside the spar channel, insert spar, MAKING SURE ITS ALL THE WAY IN, and wipe off any exess epoxy. let dry, then pull off the tape. you now have a very strong spar.
Jun 09, 2007, 02:28 PM
Thread OP

Step#5

locate the AFT FUSE VERTICAL PROFILE

using a ruller and a hobby knife, cut down the middle through the alighnment tabs, creating 2 pieces.

using a right angle, like a CD ROM case, glue the profile pice to the wing using CA, making sure it stays 100% vertical to the wing until dry. this iver VERY important.
Jun 09, 2007, 02:36 PM
Thread OP

Step #6

ok, find the upper sheeting, there should be 2, they are long, and have pointed aft ends. you will need to sand bevels on both sides of these pieces in order for them to fit from the wing to the center profile. they should fit with out any noticible steps after sanding. take you time on this, and test fit as much as need in order to obtain a good fit. there are alignment holes showing where the sheeting needs to meet the vertical profile. the other side should meet the wing just outside of the panel gap from the center and outer wing panels. the upper sheeting should over lap this gap slightly, this adds some strength to the wing.

NOW, after the sheeting has been beveled to fit snugly to the wing/vertical profile, AGAIN, ON A FLAT SURFACE(if not built on a flat surface the wing may end up warped) using the CD ROM case again as a right angle, support the vertical profile with the CD ROM case, then alighn the sheeting, and glue only the TOP SIDE FOR NOW. this will make th process easier. after its dry, lift up the sheeting enough to put glue down on the wing where the sheeting contacts. then, making sure the vertical profile it still 100% vertical to the wing, apply kicker to the freshly applied glue, and hold sheeting in place until dry, repeat for the other side.

i know that sound complicated, but its much easier than it sounds
Jun 09, 2007, 02:38 PM
Thread OP

Step #7

next step is to epoxy in the motor mount stick. use 5 minute epoxy, and again, do this on a flat surface. i used a piece of tape over the epoxy until id dryed to keep it off the building surface.
Jun 09, 2007, 02:40 PM
Thread OP

Step#8

ok, next we move on to the after sheeting. this also must be done keeping the wing on a flat surface.

i designed in some extra material for this step to aid in the building process.

take a ruller, measure out 4" from the back as shown, parallel to the centerline of the fuse, then cut on both sides.
Jun 09, 2007, 02:42 PM
Thread OP

Step#9

ok, the sheeting should be beveled, if not, take the time to bevel until the sheeting fits nice to the center wing. there will be some extra foam hanging off the back, this is ok, i did this to allow the builder some room to play. now, CA the tip of the sheeting down to the center wing as shown.

remove exess foam from the back edge.
Jun 09, 2007, 02:45 PM
Thread OP

Step#10

now, cut some small wedges of foam from some of the scrap you have, and glue thme into the gap between the upper and lower parts of the sheeting as shown.

repeat for the other side.

now the upper sheeting is done...that wasnt soo bad was it?
Jun 09, 2007, 02:46 PM
Thread OP

Step #11

find the LOWER center profile. align tabs and CA into place, again ussing the CD ROM case to make sure its glued on straight up and down.
Jun 09, 2007, 02:50 PM
Thread OP

Step#12

NOW, get out that big ol' piece of foam provided for the lower sheeting.

measure out the center line on the piece lengthwise, and mark with a ruler and pen.

now mark out lines parallel to the center line about ever 1/4" about 1.5-2" on either side of the centerline.

this step helps the sheeting to bend.

now, using your pen, press down into these lines you just made, making depressions in the foam along these lines. be careful not to push to hard, we just want indentions along the lines.
Jun 09, 2007, 02:53 PM
Thread OP

Step#13

LUCKY STEP #13...

now, using a hair dryer or heat gun, heat the sheeting on both side, SLOWY working a bend into the sheeting along the lines you just made. for those who havnt done this, take your time, and dont get too close to the foam with the heat, IT WILL MELT. you just need to get it warm enough to be able to put a slight bend in it. you should be able to install this on the plane without have to hold the shpe in it, it should already be formed to fit right. this may take a little time to learn how to do, so remain patient, but once youve got the hang of it, its pretty simple.
Jun 09, 2007, 02:54 PM
Thread OP

Step#14

ok, now, just like the upper sheeting, you will have to bevel the edges to make this sheeting fit nice and tight with the wing.

Quick Reply