Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 07, 2007, 10:15 PM
Build Log

Ivan's Partenavia P-68

Hi, this is my first time doing a build thread, so please don't be too harsh . I really haven't been able to find any info on this website about this particular model/plan set, so hopefully somebody will get something from this. I am sure I will also be needing some advice as I go along.

Anyway, I got the plans for this Partenavia from Ivan Pettigrew off of his website.

It is a 70" wingspan electric twin, 1:6.6 scale plane.

I have only just started this project so I don't have much done yet, but it looks like it will build pretty quick. Previously I have only done 1 plane built straight from plans, and a few laser cut kits. Really looking forward to getting this one in the air.

Any and all comments welcome. Oh, and btw, a balsa stripper rocks!
to remove ads between posts
Jun 08, 2007, 02:06 AM
Crazy Cessna Owner
Good luck with it. I dont think I have bought sticks of balsa since I got my balsa stripper
Jun 09, 2007, 07:19 PM
Well, now I have the 2 sides of the front of the fuse mostly done. Next comes the back halves.

I think I am going to have to start assembling on the kitchen floor since my table is a little small.
Jun 09, 2007, 07:59 PM
I am having a hard time trying to decide on a color scheme for this one. Here are a few examples that I kind of like, but does anybody know of any other good ones?
Jun 10, 2007, 01:36 PM
Good to see a build thread on one of Ivans Land planes.

Will be watching this one.

Colin
Jun 10, 2007, 06:42 PM
Finished the side frames. It is actually starting to look a little bit like a plane. Up next is to put the sides together and then start work on the tail.
Jun 10, 2007, 07:08 PM
Forester just Google search the name and select Images.............you should get loads.
Jul 04, 2007, 10:02 PM
This build is going a little slow for me and I did run into a few issues. The worst of which was the nose of the plane. I still don't think I have it shaped right, but still need to do a bit of sanding. I couldn't find any single piece of balsa big enough in my box-o-wood, so I did the next best thing and glued the biggest pieces together and form from there. It should look decent when it is covered so I am not too worried.
Jul 05, 2007, 02:56 PM
Forester I just finally noticed this thread today. It is indeed good to see a build of one of Ivan's land planes. Looks like you're moving right along, too.

I'm signed up for this build! Should be a good one.

Luke
Jul 21, 2007, 11:29 PM
Progress is going slow, but it is moving along none the less. I have finished the fuse, as well as the horizontal stabilizer and the fin. I have yet to make the rudder and elevator, but I think I will tackle the wing first.

I have to say that the fin/stab is locked in there better than any plane I have seen. Very solid construction method.

I decided to go with the sullivan Sky Lite wheels. I know that they weigh more than the super lite foam wheels, but these look so much nicer and I think the plane will be able to handle the extra 1 or so oz. that these will weigh.

Was finally able to get up and work on a table again. Unfortunately, the wing is too big for my table as well, I only have a 48" span to work with. Oh well.

I decided on using HS-81 servos for the rudder and elevator and an HS-225 for the ailerons. According to 2 of the servo calculators I would have needed about 30 oz in for the ailerons. The 225 should easily handle this load. Anybody know if this isn't a good idea?

Next on, the wing.
Last edited by Forester; Jul 21, 2007 at 11:48 PM.
Jul 22, 2007, 02:28 PM
Forester, nice to see you still working. It doesn't matter if slow or fast, progress is progress! A little bit over a long time and it will all be done at some point.

It seems to me your choice of servos is a good one. Ivan's plans fly slowly in general so I don't imagine the loads will be all that extreme.

I remember what it's like working on the floor - I built several planes in college that way, in my tiny room. I had a hardwood floor too, so it was real bad on the knees and back. Actually, believe it or not when I built my Solent I only had a 48" long by 12" wide building board, and I did the entire plane on that - section by section (but yes, my overall table was much larger).

Luke
Jul 22, 2007, 07:12 PM

Problem...

Well, I just hit my first snag. I put together the main wing spar this afternoon and was just making a template of the airfoil section so I could make easy copies. Anyway, the spar plan that I built the spar off of shows it to be 1" in diameter. The airfoil section shows it to be 1 1/8", kind of a large difference as shown in the pictures.

Any suggestions? Do I need to make a new spar at 1 1/8", shrink the airfoil down to just 1" tall, or add an extra 1/8 strip at the top of my spar?

I think that the wing is the most important part to a good flying model, so I don't want to mess this part up.

Oh, and Luke, thanks for the encouragement about building the solent on such a small area. I have the 480 version plans to build as my winter project.

Marcus
Last edited by Forester; Jul 22, 2007 at 07:32 PM.
Jul 22, 2007, 07:32 PM
Forester, this is the exact same issue I came across when building the Solent. I have heard others mention it as well when building from hand-drawn plans, including Ivan's. One view on the plan won't exactly match another view. It gets to be awfully frustrating.

What I did in my case was sand all my ribs down. You could make the spar bigger but them I'm betting some of the ribs you cut by the plan will be too short. I don't know about on the Partenavia, but on the Solent the spar also tapers. So I really had to modify each and every rib singly to fit the spar in the location they were supposed to go.

In your picture you're comparing the spar to the airfoil cross-section at the point on the engine nacelle - how does it compare to the other rib cross-sections? It could just be more off on that one view than it is compared to the rest of the ribs.

I suppose the best thing to do would be to build as close to how the ribs are drawn on the plans. But in all honesty, I bet it won't make a difference in the end, whether you sand the ribs down or build the spar up - the plane will probably fly just as well. Since you've already built the spar my take on it would be to sand the ribs down, but I like to take the easy way out. It worked ok on the Solent though.

Luke
Jul 22, 2007, 07:37 PM
Thanks for that info. Actually all of the wing ribs are the same size on this thing, so doing the wing might almost be too easy. I have not cut any ribs yet, but I think now that maybe I will just add a 1/8 strip at the top. This will also allow me to use the drawings exactly for building the nacelles. Thanks.

Marcus
Jul 22, 2007, 11:26 PM

Some colour schemes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester
I am having a hard time trying to decide on a color scheme for this one. Here are a few examples that I kind of like, but does anybody know of any other good ones?
I did some walk-around shots of one that landed up here. I can send them to you if you like.
Regards,
John

Quick Reply