Nov 01, 2002, 12:28 AM
Thread OP

Aeronca Champ/Chimp done GOOD!

Guys, some of you remember when I posted a couple of months back about a micro I was building, and when finished, it looked like it was created by Timmy of the Short Bus fame - I complained that I was a regular ham-handed chimp.

Well, I did indeed buy a Hobby-Lobby Super Cub, and the building (while moving at a glacial pace - Dreamer, just take the inverse of your usual rocket-like speed, and that's me) has gone flawlessly. That H-L kit's one well-done deal, that's for sure. As it turns out, Koko the Signing Gorilla has managed to learn from his prior mistakes, and soon, I shall be inserting a Jeti JES-110, a 6-cell 600mAh nicad pak, a Speed 400 motor with the Olympus Gear Drive, a Graupner Slim Prop 9x5, and radio gear to be determined by next month's spiff money, if Allah wills it.

I'll bring home the digital camera from work tomorrow and shoot a couple of pictures for you gents. For under $30, this kit kicks ass! I've gotta say, not one part was die cut anything less than perfect, and the materials are par excellence.

Should I cover this bird in one of the super light coverings, or should I go with Monokote, as I have only the one really terrible experience with the Champ?

Oh, here's the URL of the H-L Super Cub: http://www.hobby-lobby.com/supercub.htm
to remove ads between posts
Nov 03, 2002, 01:06 PM

More Cells Scotty!!

I have a similar 28oz total 54" w/s Comet Aeronca Chief that flies well on a Mini-Olympus 2.3:1 Geared S400 6v and Nine(9) 500AR nicad cells. ( 9X5 Graupner Slim Prop) Nine cells give good ROG take off power and throttle back for 6-10 minute cruising flight. 8-Cells were ok for hand launch. Less than 8 cells might be sluggish in your Super Cub. BTW, some folks have had wings fold on the Super Cub unless they beef up the dihedral bracing and use functional struts. The struts on my Aeronca have metal clevises on the strut ends attaching to nylon control horns that are solidly bolted to 1/16 ply fuselage and wing attach points. This also allows for some adjustment of tip washout.
Best of luck!!
Nov 04, 2002, 09:31 PM
Thread OP
OK, crew, sorry for the delays - I'm taking home the Sony Mavica tonight, and I'll snap a couple of photos for you. Nothing really there to marvel at; it's just a stick structure, simpler on purpose than anything guys like Dreamer and E-Challenged make by accident by dropping spare stringers and glue on the floor - but I'm proud of my weak efforts anyway.
Nov 05, 2002, 12:45 AM
Thread OP

Pictures

Here's one of six, they're small, as I resampled them in Photo-Paint...
Nov 05, 2002, 12:46 AM
Thread OP
Another
Nov 05, 2002, 12:48 AM
Thread OP
Here's a nice view that will give you the size. That's a Dell computer box the SuperCub's sitting on, and I've taped the wing and the tail surfaces on.

BTW, should I cover all the surfaces before I assemble them?
Nov 05, 2002, 01:25 AM
Thread OP
another
Nov 05, 2002, 01:28 AM
Thread OP
Some electronic gear: Speed 400 Graupner, Olympus mini drive, Jeti JES110, 6 small cells (they sub "c"?), Graupner slimprop 9x5
Nov 05, 2002, 12:21 PM
Your Cub looks great so far! I built one of these and they fly very well, just don't do any high "G" type maneuvers and you'll be fine. The reason I say this is the wing folding problem that E-Challenged mentioned. If you do a search here you'll find many threads on the Super Cub and some great information and advice. You might want to consider some reinforcement in the wing dihedral brace area.

I flew my Cub on 7 and 8 cells and liked the 10x4.7 APC slowflyer prop the best.
Here is my Super Cub page:
http://paulsplanes.fws1.com/supercub.htm

Good luck and don't forget to post pictures of the completed plane.

Paul
Last edited by Paul; Nov 05, 2002 at 12:26 PM.
Nov 19, 2002, 02:09 AM
Thread OP

Still making progress

Well, folks, I'm still plodding along... but now the wing is installed properly, all the surfaces on the fuselage and the wings/tail have been carefully sanded to insure flatness and uniformity so that when I cover, it won't be a bloody mess like last time (God, this took HOURS!), and I bought an Airtronics RD6000, a Hitec Feather RX, and two HS-55s. For the receiver and servos, I went with Servo City - they've got no shipping charges! Bought the radio for from Quantum, as it was under $200 - not bad for a computer 6-channel!

Tomorrow, I'm off, so I'll crack the whip on this deal all day, and may post a couple of photos this evening if I can.
Nov 19, 2002, 08:12 AM

Beware of Feather

nhorianopoulos:

Great job on your Cub so far. I built the Farman of the same maker, Aerocraft, and it is one of my favorite planes to look at in the air.

A word of caution, however, is that the Feather receiver is known to have glitching problems at anything outside of a ballpark radius. I've had one and experienced the problem myself in a parkflier. My advice would be to contact Servo City and return the Feather for a 555 (they are super about returns). Remove the 555 case if it is weight savings you are after. An alternative would be the FMA Extreme 5 receiver which is extremely light and a dual conversion reciever that works very well.

I'd hate to see you crash that beautiful Cub through no fault of your own.

Best Regards,

Gary
Nov 25, 2002, 05:21 AM
Thread OP

the work continues

Well, gents, the work finally continues. I'd been slacking off on the project, as I spent all last week buying various and sundry parts and pieces - I can't believe what I've spent in stinkin' alieron horns and $1.00 bags of screws! I bought an MRC SuperBrain charger, and that seems to have been a good purchase. I cancelled my Servo City order, and picked up two Hobbico CS-5 servos (only .34 oz/9.5 grams!), a GWS 4 channel receiver (Gary, your message about the Hitec feather was well heeded), and proceeded to spend the entire rest of the week working out how I was going to set up the struts so that they'd be load bearing instead of ornimental, per all your suggestions.

Today, I decided on going with heavier material, Basswood, in slightly wider and thicker configurations. The real hitch was, how would I attach them to the fuse so that they'd bear a load, but still be removable... The suggestion I got to use alieron horns and clevises was brilliant (pictures below)!

I bought some nice Monokote in Missile Red and Dove Gray, and will soon be covering the whole affair (pray that the great care I took earlier with the sanding rears it's head) Oh, and I soldered the gear (that was fun - not), and it looks like a slightly inebriated 20 frat-boy did it . Bending 1/16" wire's a touch of a b*tch, especially so that I don't have the specialized tools to do it, no any experience. In spite of this, it turned out OK.

Worked for coutless hours today on the project, and rigged up the nosecone, the motor, did a balance test, extended my already long battery floor, mounted me servos, and spent 6+ hours playing with the basswood struts. They're heavy but wicked strong, and that flimsy-ass wing needs support!

Anyway, the pictures below tell the story...
Nov 25, 2002, 05:24 AM
Thread OP
Here's my gear soldering deal. Guess I didn't need the blowtorch, as it made everything waaaaaaay too hot, and at one part, the solder didn't want to sink into the copper wire strand I wrapped the gear with...
Nov 25, 2002, 05:26 AM
Thread OP
Further evidence of my lack of competence...
Nov 25, 2002, 05:29 AM
Thread OP
Made the battery tray with 3/16 x 1/8 in a ladder format, and 1/32 ply on the top. Not super flimsy, and damned light, if I must say so.

Quick Reply