Jun 02, 2007, 03:48 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

louisianna rc'ers

hi, i am in need of some help from someone who has seen the real creole queen river boat.i am building one from dumas and the plans show nothing about where the doors should be located.i have gone into the internet sites for the queen but none of them show a good pic to be able to see.if anyone has pics of the real thing or would take some pics for me i would really appreciate it. thank you, tom
to remove ads between posts
Jun 02, 2007, 04:08 PM
Where's Pamela?
Go see John Fryant at http://modelplans.steamboats.org/, his e-mail is there. He just had an article in the SSMA Journal on a "better" Creole Queen, and he certainly knows the original well.

Pat M
Jun 02, 2007, 06:29 PM
Thread OP
thanks pat,i'll give him a try. tom
Jun 02, 2007, 09:02 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
While we're on the subject of Louisiana, does anybody out there have any information on small flat-bottomed fishing boats called Lafitte skiffs?

They're used for inshore shrimping and crabbing, and I'd like to get some hull lines, photos, etc., for a model.

This will be for a displaced Cajun, now residing in Texas.
Jun 02, 2007, 09:30 PM

Now you ask

I've been visiting family this week and had the opportunity but didn't know anyone would be interested. I did see a couple in the water down around the Island but didn't stop. If you can get a waterline view of one you've got it made. After the bow flare and sheer line they are flat bottomed, and often powered by direct drive V8-car engines. They are so common on the Gulf Coast I never gave it a second thought. But come to think of it...

http://www.sintesfiberglass.com/id30.html
Jun 03, 2007, 08:26 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhumbLine
I've been visiting family this week and had the opportunity but didn't know anyone would be interested. I did see a couple in the water down around the Island but didn't stop. If you can get a waterline view of one you've got it made. After the bow flare and sheer line they are flat bottomed, and often powered by direct drive V8-car engines. They are so common on the Gulf Coast I never gave it a second thought. But come to think of it...

http://www.sintesfiberglass.com/id30.html
Thanks Rhumb,

I got the basics from grazing online, and picked up some profile pictures of various boats. From them, as you said, I can eyeball the rest. They have quite a sheer line, and a distinctive ovewrhang at the stern. The vee at the bow seems to be optional, tapering out to a flat bottom at the stern.

I also got the word that they are usually unbelievably overpowered---.
Jun 03, 2007, 09:01 PM

YES high powered

Kaptain, As a young lad and rookie boat coxswain in the USCG my first experience with a Lafitte skiff was a rescue case. He was reported taking on water (T.O.W.) I arrived on scene and he was flooded, but it had leveled out due to the floatation, design, etc... We started pumping and searching for the leak, it was a new boat at that. It was about a 28ft skiff and had a 455 Oldsmobile engine with direct drive. We found the hull leaking back by the rudder post. We finally figured out that the screw (propeller) had cavitated, probably more than once, and had exploded and fraged the hull! All the Capt. had to say as he scratched his head was "Guess I betta' ease up on dem trottle some you know!" . I'd be interested to here about the build if you do. Thought about it several times today while driving home. As far as the design, so many are home or backyard built that you can be as adventurious as you wish. I do like that big flare on the bow though, really sets it off and says, Born on the Bayou.

Jackpot! Thought I would do a quick search and found this, multiple pictures out of the water! http://usauctions.com/ItemDetails.aspx?ID=7052
Jun 04, 2007, 07:31 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhumbLine
It was about a 28ft skiff and had a 455 Oldsmobile engine with direct drive. We found the hull leaking back by the rudder post. We finally figured out that the screw (propeller) had cavitated, probably more than once, and had exploded and fraged the hull! All the Capt. had to say as he scratched his head was "Guess I betta' ease up on dem trottle some you know!" . I'd be interested to here about the build if you do. Thought about it several times today while driving home. As far as the design, so many are home or backyard built that you can be as adventurious as you wish. I do like that big flare on the bow though, really sets it off and says, Born on the Bayou.

Jackpot! Thought I would do a quick search and found this, multiple pictures out of the water! http://usauctions.com/ItemDetails.aspx?ID=7052
Thanks, Rhumb, your description tallies with what I got from other stories about these boats, and the Cajuns' tendency to pack in the horsepower.
Some of these tales are really hilarious---.

Presently, I have some good photos of the skiffs rigged out with booms and butterfly nets, and I think I have enough to do a good model of one. All I need now is time---.
Jun 04, 2007, 07:52 AM
Thread OP
kaptain,i have been reading your threads and that looks to be a neat boat to build i would love to see your build thread on it when you tart.i have done a lot of kit boats but never did one from scratch yet,i guess the reason is i haven't figured out how to design and figure the bulk heads to start the frame work.how do figure out the size and design of them?as far as the rest of the boat i would have no problem.if you wouldn't mind telling me how to design this i would love to build something from scratch.thanks, tom
Jun 04, 2007, 11:22 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfbowen
kaptain,i have been reading your threads and that looks to be a neat boat to build i would love to see your build thread on it when you tart.i have done a lot of kit boats but never did one from scratch yet,i guess the reason is i haven't figured out how to design and figure the bulk heads to start the frame work.how do figure out the size and design of them?as far as the rest of the boat i would have no problem.if you wouldn't mind telling me how to design this i would love to build something from scratch.thanks, tom
Hi Tom, not a problem. It'll be a while before I get started on working up a body plan for a Lafitte skiff, but the build itself should be fairly easy, as the hull is a hard chine layout.

I'm attaching an image of an open-decked skiff to give you an idea as to what the hulls look like. The second image is with a cabin though. Note the overhang aft, and the sweeping sheer line.

Quick Reply