Jun 01, 2007, 05:13 PM
Restricted User
Thread OP
Discussion

Simple SlowStick Single Rotor Conversion

Hi,
maidened my SS-SRC today. Flies good. I was able to cruise around for about 5 minutes till i decided to land. It's just a 1-minute operation to convert it back to a winged Slowstick.
My target was to use only stuff lying around in my workshop. Used that cheap 130 gramm (!) chinese motor from Hongkong, which asked for an 200 gramm lipo. Total flying weight is 800 gramm, not far away from the magical max. 5oz/sq.foot rule found at autogyro.com. At a rotor diameter of 90 centimetres, the 5 oz/sq.foot translates to a max.weight of 950 gramms. SS-SRC has roll only on the dc-head, because the SS has already elevator, so i decided to make a very reduced roll-only head. Added a massive undercarriage to carry the loads and be able to rog from grassland. No video today, will try to get video footage another day.
Have fun.
Stephan
to remove ads between posts
Jun 01, 2007, 05:32 PM
Closed Account
Stephan,
Congratulations on your succesful maiden flight!
Excellent project and high quality workmanship too, do I detect the influence of Dave Surace in the undercarriage dept? looking forward to further reports and possibly a video.
regards
Al
Jun 01, 2007, 05:44 PM
Restricted User
Thread OP
Thanks Al,
front is the stock SS undercarriage with 2 additional pieces of 3mm piano wire. Tail is 2mm gf-cardboard, very stiff. Sorry to ask, who's Dave Surace? Is he around here? In this case i apologize..
SS-SRC needs a fair amount of wind to fly, tried to rog yesterday when it was dead calm. No chance. With todays strong breeze it was very easy.
Stephan
Jun 01, 2007, 05:45 PM
Winging it >
Nice Stephan! I really like the hinge system for the rotor tilt!!!
Jun 01, 2007, 11:36 PM
Closed Account
Hi Stephan,

Sorry mate, my fault on the identity, Dave Surace aka. Imsofaman of DAG-1 fame and extremely large wheels on his Rotorshape, he does put some great ideas up here, a fellow "make it yourself guy". Hope you have good flying weather for more SS-SRC fun this weekend.
regards,
Al
Jun 02, 2007, 03:43 AM
Restricted User
Thread OP
Al,
Ok, i never realized the real name of Imsofaman. Sorry.
My wheels are huge with 100mm diametre and this turned out to be a really usefull feature. Hope to have video soon.

Dan,
Quote:
Nice Stephan! I really like the hinge system for the rotor tilt!!!
black parts are massive ball-joints from the front axle of a rc-car. When screwed tight to the upper gf-plate they can only turn sideways.

Stephan
Last edited by StephanB; Jun 02, 2007 at 03:52 AM.
Jun 02, 2007, 11:31 AM
Restricted User
Thread OP

Video

Here's the video, 15 MB.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...38#post7559371
Have fun
Stephan
Jun 02, 2007, 05:27 PM
Closed Account
Hi Stephan,

Man that is really something! You fly your SS-SRC as natural as a bird, it is very responsive and looks total fun. Full marks to Ute as camerawoman , I thought you might do a William Tell on her, some of those passes were quite low! Will you take the SS-SRC to Inter-ex this year? You and Jochen make a formidable team in the autogyro world, two first class performances and videos in one day, marvelous. Worth staying up past bed time for.
regards
Al
Jun 02, 2007, 06:30 PM
Restricted User
Thread OP
Thanks Al(T),
well, if everything will go straight, Inter-Ex will see JochenK, AlFoot, Flattermann and StephanB. That's the plan. We will have Twirls there, Mini-Micromums, Whopper, G3PO, SS-SRC and Flattermans unnamed, but ingenious multi-rotors. Just 3 month from here, hard to wait. Gerald Lehr (member of org-team of german part of Inter-Ex) recently updated the Inter-Ex page with pics and videos from last years event in Netherland.
http://www.inter-ex.com/english/inte...terex2006e.htm
No pics from the "social part" at the bar at night from saturday to sunday, that's another story..
There are still some errors in the descriptions and names, because he couldn't attend himself by bad luck, but you may get the idea behind this unusual meeting.
I will let Ute know, that she did her job as camerawoman well. She will be happy, because that's not her most wanted thing to spare time with.
She's in quilting, something, that i will never fully understand....

Stephan
Last edited by StephanB; Jun 02, 2007 at 07:07 PM.
Jun 03, 2007, 02:26 AM
Stephan,

good work, you're really throwing that thing around. And you do need those big wheels if you're trying to plough up that field.

Jochen
Jun 03, 2007, 04:18 AM
Restricted User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JochenK
Stephan,

good work, you're really throwing that thing around. And you do need those big wheels if you're trying to plough up that field.

Jochen
Jochen,
point taken. I was happy to have these large wheels. It was definitely not my intention to come down there, but got blown away from the strong wind. I still have this mental block when flying single rotors (see G3PO-story). So from time to time unplanned things happen, because i have to think about next reaction instead do it automatically, too slow on the sticks then.
Stephan
Jun 03, 2007, 11:06 AM
I take my small gyro right thru the grass at the park.....not a problem! The big wheels work!

Dave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4ICBfDkLic
Jun 04, 2007, 02:19 AM
check the crazyplanes ...
Hi Stephan,

I love that single rotor gyro! Great work, great fun to see the video.

flattermann
Jun 04, 2007, 04:59 AM
StephanB,
I did not see your video link until NOW!!!! Wow! That flies so nice! Congrats!!!!! I like how you chose your colrs and the actual shape of the mast....it should keep you from getting disoriented, which is one of my biggest problems!

Again, nice job on your stick gyro!!!!

Dave
Jun 04, 2007, 05:30 AM
Restricted User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsofaman
StephanB,
I did not see your video link until NOW!!!! Wow! That flies so nice! Congrats!!!!! I like how you chose your colrs and the actual shape of the mast....it should keep you from getting disoriented, which is one of my biggest problems!

Again, nice job on your stick gyro!!!!

Dave
Thanks Dave,
Disorientation is not a problem with this one. SS-SRC is on the heavy side with 800 gramm. This fact forces me to use mucho throttle leading to high speed and "throwing that thing around" like JochenK said.
Same construction with half the weight could be a good choice for a first single rotor autogyro.

Question to the experts: i noted once or twice a strange "structural" noise, when i pulled SS-SRC fast around. You can actually hear it in the video at second 19, passing the camerawoman. Has this to do with high load on the rotor leading to action (flutter etc) of the blades?

Stephan

Quick Reply