New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2007, 05:09 PM
Find More Posts by ipjodan
Gloves are awkward
Discussion

Help me paint my plane!

Hello,

My most exciting paint job before now was a can of silver spray all over a P51! Now ive just finnished building my 190 (maidened tonight she flies beautifully, build was simple, thanks GWS) I want to treat her right with a good paint job. Anyone any tips for a novice? im open to all suggestions - be it be spraying or brushing.

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2007, 05:43 PM
Find More Posts by jamesdr
Unrepentant Carnivore
I was turned onto the pleasures of air bushing about 6 months ago. For the GWS bird, you can start with a clean slate (NPS white) and with a little work, have a dandy model. There are several threads here and web sites dedicated to air brushing. Start with getting a nice modest compressor with a 2 gallon or so tank. That will even out the air pulses. Some starter kits have "canned air" and that is just an invitation to disappointment. Next, get a nice modest air brush. Without going into a complete dissertation with pro and cons, a beginner air brush is single action, external mix. Once you have the tools, you go to the medium - paint. The key here is the right consistency to spray. Your pallet of colors is now wide open. In US dollars, I used 2 "rattle cans" of spray paint for a total of about $12 to cover a GWS model - in one color. Each additional color is another $6. Plus you need to worry about the propellant eating the foam, etc, and trying to match the inevitable repair is a nightmare. The acrylic paints I use now are 49 cents for enough to cover several models. I will grant you, the start-up cost of air brushing is much higher than other methods but the end results are very satisflying.

Jim
Old Jun 01, 2007, 05:44 PM
Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Foam abuser!
Not quite sure what type of help you're looking for. Do you want help picking out a paint scheme, or tips on how to actually apply the paint, or what methods to use?

If you are looking for schemes, here is an excellent resource:

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/451

Pat
Old Jun 01, 2007, 06:10 PM
Find More Posts by ipjodan
Gloves are awkward
Many thanks james ive been looking into airbrushes on ebay for a while now and maybe its time to purchase... Hey Pat thanks for the link it will come in when i figure out how to paint!
Old Jun 03, 2007, 11:40 AM
Find More Posts by TopSpin
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipjodan
Many thanks james ive been looking into airbrushes on ebay for a while now and maybe its time to purchase... Hey Pat thanks for the link it will come in when i figure out how to paint!

Check this for the authentic paint scheme.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691067