Jul 06, 2007, 07:38 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
I can't wait to see how your fuse turns out. It's looking GOOD so far...

Jack
to remove ads between posts
Jul 07, 2007, 07:33 AM
Thread OP

Fuselage

Done a lot of planing and sanding to fuselage. Using mostly 150 grit paper to get it down. Shoulda gotten some 100 stuff. Having a little trouble getting a smooth transition at the side to nose junction. Shoulda used a little heavier wood on the nose cone, but had to use what was available, at the time. May have to add a little filler here, later. But she's looking a lot thinner and better. Was hoping to get the fuselage as slim looking as the glass original, looks like that's not going to be. She's gonna be the chubby sister to that good looking glass slipper.

Jack

Getting close to the finished look, will most likely trim it down a little more after joiner rod is installed and just before covering.

erich
Jul 07, 2007, 04:22 PM
Who needs a pilot??
Erich, I gotta say that I really enjoy following your build threads. I watched the Sagitta XC and will eventually get to it, but just reading through all your descriptions and flipping through the pictures is fun and encouraging. Every time I flip through your threads, I think "I gotta get back to building," hehe.

Thanks
Dan
Jul 07, 2007, 04:40 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
If any of you have never done one of these, it's hard to know how much effort goes into these threads. I've done a few and I have to say that I truly appreciate Erich... Wood building will be around for a long time.

Jack Womack
Jul 07, 2007, 04:42 PM
Thread OP
Dan

No shortage of great planes, waiting to be built. Am planing to do my share of em. Here's to you, getting your share too.

Thanks for the words.

Jack: as Dan says: "Balsa dust, Rocks".
erich
Jul 07, 2007, 08:41 PM
i agree with "danstrider" very much also!!! erich your build threads are GREAT! i am in the middle of a Challenger build, and i look at your Challenger build photos almost as a manual... they have been so helpful! and i love watching ALL your build threads just to see ways other people do things, and learning new building techniques!

-you too jack!!! i have been studying yours and"solo6796"s build threads on the yardbird... i think i'm going to put the challenger on hold and forge on with the yardbird... all the ribs, carbon, and balsa are waiting for me to get home and start building!

so thanks again, erich for the GREAT build threads. keep em coming!!

matt
Jul 08, 2007, 05:26 AM
Thread OP

Joiner Rod

Time to glue in the aluminum joiner rod. Found the trick here, was to get the bend (in joiner rod) perfectly vertical. Only way I found, was to plug in wings, then pivot joiner till both wings were equal distance from fuselage, fore and aft. Did this with wings resting on top of alignment pin (which has not been glued in). Once all seemed right, clamped joiner to former and checked distance from top of fin to last rib / spar joint in each wing. Had to do a little sanding in one of the joiner holes to get the right alignment. When everything lined up, did some spot gluing with 5 min epoxy. After glue set up, removed wings, then added 30 min epoxy all around joiner and before glue set, boxed the bottom and rear of joiner in with some basswood. Made sure this box was then filled to top with epoxy and let cure.

Also drilled holes in former just beneath joiner and glued some spoiler tubes.

erich
Last edited by erich; Jul 08, 2007 at 05:37 AM.
Jul 08, 2007, 05:32 AM
Thread OP
Jack

Just spent the last couple of hours going over your Yardbird build. Don't understand how I missed seeing that build till now??? Now that's a fuselage. The rounded shape you got is what I had hoped for the HH fuselage. Was to shy in adding more wood to get there. Great to see how a pro does it. Beautiful bird. Thanks.

erich
Jul 08, 2007, 09:52 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Thanks for the kind words, Erich...

JW
Jul 09, 2007, 04:29 AM
Thread OP

Back to Wings

Before assembling wings. Added the ply root ribs to main panels. Lot easier to do this with 3' wing sections then 6 footers. Wrapped fuselage with wax paper, used masking tape to hold in place. Used wooden wedges between root rib and 1st ply rib, to make sure root rib was tight against fuselage, added a little oil around joiner, then used 5 min epoxy to spot glue in place. When that set used 30 min epoxy mixed with lotsa cabosil to fill small void between root rib and first ply rib on wing panel. If you put the epoxy between root rib and fuselage, the plane will probably still fly, but covering it will be a little harder, not to mention transporting it. Quoting Jack, "don't ask me, how I know".

erich
Jul 09, 2007, 08:21 AM
Thread OP

Towhook???

To any and all H.Hawk flyers, what's a good safe towhook location? My thoughts are 1/4"+ forward of the CG.

erich
Jul 09, 2007, 11:53 AM
Dan Murphy
OK, you lost me - what did you just do?

Murph
Jul 09, 2007, 12:24 PM
Thread OP
Murph

You gotta be a little more specific.

erich
Jul 09, 2007, 08:52 PM
Dan Murphy
Yeah sorry....I read the text, looked at the picture, read the text again, looked at the picture and just didn't understand what "Added the ply root ribs to main panels" really did.

Murph
Jul 09, 2007, 09:53 PM
3 Sons - Legos and Lift
Murph,
Since I'm here now I'll try to answer your question. He put a plywood plate at the root of the wing. It is pressed against the fuse while gluing to provide the best possible fit. There is no glue between the plywood and the fuse, but spacers and filler-type glue between the plywood and the end of the wing.
Tim

Quick Reply