Warbirdkits JU88 beta build - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 24, 2007, 06:50 PM
Discussion

Warbirdkits JU88 beta build

I've been privileged to be chosen by Tom to do a beta build of the new Warbirdkits.com JU 88. PencenaroundRC.com is donating two complete TP/BP21 (whatever they're called today!!)outrunners and two 18A ESC's which I'm sure will power the plane very well as that's what I've got in my HS129. I plan on using two Vampower 1750 3S packs to provide the juice.
All I can say is that this going to be a fun build. The kit arrived today and I've unpacked it and am staring at nice packages of lasercut part, stacks of sheet wood and triangle stock bundles. The vacuformed canopy, nose section and prop spinners are very well done. The span is 49.75" with a wing area of 339 sq in.
I'm in a bit of a Battle of Britain frame of mind after finishing a GWS Spitfire in BoB markings so this plane will be done up in KG51 (Edelweiss) markings.

I'm off to study the plan and the draft instructions and will begin gluing my fingers together....er gluing the parts soon. I'll be posting progress pics as regularly as possible.
Dave
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2007, 06:53 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
Outstanding!

Good Luck

Tommy D
May 24, 2007, 07:50 PM
Pro Hoarder
nice !!! I want one...
scott
Latest blog entry: In flight
May 24, 2007, 07:54 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Looks good Dave - another of my 'must do' WW2 twins (after a HE111, etc). The 88 and its derivatives have always had that great German WW2 look about them - bulges and blisters tacked on all over the fuse.

I must look up Tom's site and drool

Pat
May 24, 2007, 08:47 PM
EB-66C Team Member
I'm watching too.

J
Latest blog entry: TBD Devastator @ 1:7.3 scale
May 24, 2007, 10:19 PM
PencenAround R/C
Dave,
I too will be lurking over your shoulder watching this build. I have to make sure you install those motors the right way . And cause you're such a great builder... I'd like to donate the 2 Vampower 1700 batteries for this project.
I know they worked great in my Bronco and other planes, they'll work great in that JU 88!

Mike
PencenAround R/C
Last edited by helcat; May 24, 2007 at 10:46 PM.
May 24, 2007, 10:26 PM
go fly! no crashes!
wooo! signing in to watch. i want one too!
May 25, 2007, 12:57 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Nice!

I'll be watching this one..

Jeff
www.CommonSenseRC.com
May 25, 2007, 09:42 AM
Manzano Laser Works
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottney
The kit arrived today and I've unpacked it and am staring at nice packages of lasercut part, stacks of sheet wood and triangle stock bundles.
Glad it arrived safely, Dave. I'm looking forward to your build!

I plan to offer the Ju 88 as a short kit, without the extra sheet and triangle stock.

The original design of this model was done by David Collins. I updated it a bit, adding the gondola and revising the cowlings. David was a long-time modeler and scale designer, responsible for quite a few of the 1:12 scale Speed-400 ARFs that flooded the market several years ago. Dave has since gone to greener pastures.

Phil Withnell (aka Smokin'Beaver) created the plugs for vacuum forming the canopy and nose - a very nice job, indeed! Phil did the beta build of my 1:12 scale Macchi C.200 - see the thread in the "Scale" forum.

Thanks to Mike Pence for the great contributions. I think everyone needs to be reminded that Mike is in business to provide a service, but he needs your business in order to survive. Please give him your support!

Tom
www.warbirdkits.com
May 25, 2007, 10:08 AM
Geez guys thanks and I have even cut myself with my exacto knife yet . I did make a mistake in the first posting, the batteries are 1700 gold Vampowers. Mike at PencenaroundRC.com has been really generous with his offer and Jeff (Vamooska) from Vampower just offered some platinums. I've been testing some 2200 platinums and am pretty impressed with them so I'll accept his offer so as to spread the donations (btw Mike is a Vampower dealer so he and Jeff can figure this out).
What I need to do is get some of the build done on the fuse so I can actually see how much room I have for battery packs then I'll request an appropriate pack or packs from Vampower. The BP21's pull around 12-14A so I could use two smaller packs on separate systems like I did with my HS129 or wire the battery connections for the motors in parallel and use one pack capable of delivering up 30A.
Again this build is really nice in that a couple of vendors are jumping on board. I urge "EZoners" to take a look at their products as they seem to be making commitments to this build and to the hobby in general.
I've got husbandly duties today in particular (my wife's birthday) so the glue won't fly until tomorrow at the earliest.
Dave
Last edited by dottney; May 25, 2007 at 10:14 AM.
May 25, 2007, 10:48 AM
Vampowered!
Take a look at the Dualsky motors too....unless you just have your heart set on the BP's. We have some super nice motors that I think will present well. It would be a firewall/throughwall mount and not a stick mount.
Let me know if something catches your eye.
Vammy
May 25, 2007, 01:14 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
My apologies..

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691237
Last edited by Tram; May 26, 2007 at 04:45 PM.
May 25, 2007, 01:27 PM
Manzano Laser Works
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram
This may not be the best place for it, but any news on the B-24 or A-4, Tom?
I have started building the prototype B-24. Probably will need about three or four months to get through this stage, as I have to do quite a bit of development on the turret and canopy plugs.

You're right, this isn't the best place for it...

Tom
www.warbirdkits.com
May 26, 2007, 12:32 AM
Registerd Beaver
Signing in.
Thanks Tom for the mention.
The Macchi is still in the paintshop. (I'm offshore at present).
Looking forward to getting back to it next weekend.
Glad to see the big girl is on the way now Tom.
Thanks for posting the build Dave.

Phil
May 26, 2007, 03:16 PM
Got the lower wing sheets glued late last night and I'm beginning to put the spar and rib locations on the insides. I traced the wing onto wax paper then placed the wax paper over the sheeting and traced the outlines.
Here's the left wing. This method of sheeting the wings is a bit different than I've done before as I've usually done the spars and ribs over the plan then attached the sheeting. Just different no preference for either method.
Now off to get those neat laser cut ribs separated.
Dave

Quick Reply