100" Hollow Molded Dynamic Build Thread - RC Groups
May 24, 2007, 03:07 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Discussion

100" Hollow Molded Dynamic Build Thread

I will be sharing all of the info I have gathered over the past couple of years in this build. I wasn't planning to document this build until today so you will not be able to see the plug prep process for the elevator. However, I will do a step by step for the fuse or wing or something. I am making hollow 60" and 80" versions as well. I will keep this thread exclusive to the 100". Until I recieve all of my parts as promised I would rather not share info regarding my source of CNC cut plugs. Well see how it goes. So far so good.

Ok. The 100" will have a one piece wing. All models will have flaps. All the tail linkage will be internal and will be accessable through a cap at the rear end of the fuse. I have made some design changes in the plane. The first is the tail airfoils. I found a more slipery airfoil that is a bit thicker at the hingeline. This will aid in keeping the elevator strong in torsion. I elevated the wing in the fuse a bit so the fuse will be stronger under the wing at the trailing edge. I increased the diameter of the boom. To keep the proportion I fattened up the rest of the fuse. The wing hold down is designed like an Opus hold down. A key in the front and a bolt in the rear. The wing fairing is only evident at the leading and trailing edges and they are molded as part of the wing. And lastly, I chose a slight ellipse for all of the leading edges. Just enough to clean it up but not too drastic as to change the looks or flying characteristics. I will be happy to answer any questions and I will be sharing more photos soon.

Here is the elevator plug. I will be pulling top and bottom molds from this part.
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2007, 03:11 PM
those molds are top notch!

AWESOME!!
ryan
Last edited by Ryan Archer; May 24, 2007 at 03:20 PM.
May 24, 2007, 03:13 PM
Rick Rogahn
subscribed!!!
May 24, 2007, 03:19 PM
Need 4 Speed!
Nice CNC work!
Latest blog entry: original Y/A F-18 Kit
May 24, 2007, 03:21 PM
Yes, ALL your money...
ok I'm watching...
May 24, 2007, 03:47 PM
Speedy Tree Surgeon
Got my attention as well.I'm looking forward to see what i can learn from Joe.

Cheers

Tim
May 24, 2007, 03:52 PM
Glad to see you're back on the build wagon Joe. I'm ready to sit back and do some learning.
May 24, 2007, 04:02 PM
im in too the molds look sooooo nice.
May 24, 2007, 04:17 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Just to clarify, I have about 20hrs into the plug pictured. It was MDF and I have sprayed it with two coats of sealer (varnish) and sanded in between 7 times over. I then polished it. I will do a step by step on the next part. I will make molds of this part (plug).
May 24, 2007, 04:23 PM
Say when.....
You Are DOOOINGGGG EEET Again!!!! Rock on Joe!!!
May 24, 2007, 04:42 PM
Watching in awe as usual.

Sleedo
May 24, 2007, 04:56 PM
It's not a Toomah.
I marvel at the skills of so many modelers on this forum.
I feel like my planes are built and repaired with duct tape and silly putty compared to you guys. Where can I obtain some of this amazing "force" that you build with?

Clint
(who just discovered he needs many, many more tools)
May 24, 2007, 05:10 PM
sno
sno
As close as you can get to being a fly on your wall! Thanks for taking the time to share the wealth!!!
May 24, 2007, 07:07 PM
Very nice! It is awesome that you are willing to take the time to share--we all really appreciate it!
May 24, 2007, 08:08 PM
find me @samotage
Oooh, nice and shineee...

Go Joe!