May 24, 2007, 02:12 AM
Gilbert, AZ
Help!

Help! Can't Get Motor Mount Off!

Has anyone removed the stock 3-hole mount on one of these motors? I removed the two set screws but it won't budge . I also removed the shaft and housing but it was no help. I want to use the stick mount with the heat sink for my SS. I don't want to damage the motor in the process.
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2007, 04:33 AM
Reduce the drama...
In addition to set screws, you may encounter glue.
Heat may help to unstick it
May 24, 2007, 11:35 PM
Gilbert, AZ
I'll try the heat gun and see if that helps. There does appear to be a small film of something around the inside.
May 25, 2007, 09:44 AM
chalmrast,
A heat gun may be too much overall area heat and dislogdge the magnets in the rotating bell you might try a solder gun on the mount first
browser1
May 25, 2007, 10:30 AM
Hold the base in a vise or vise-grip pliers. Take a punch and give the thing a sharp smack with a small hammer. It's better if you can come up with a small metal tube that will fit over the propeller shaft and use that as a punch. A piece of brass tube might work. I've never had a PB 21 that I didn't have to smack out of the base. Once out, fold sandpaper over a pencil and slightly sand the inside of the mount until motor goes in and comes out easier.
May 25, 2007, 11:55 AM
Gilbert, AZ
Thanks to all for the suggestions! I didn't try the heat gun yet so maybe I'll scrap that idea based on the other suggestions. With the three day weekend coming up I'll give it a shot.