Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 22, 2007, 07:55 PM
Discussion

Tales of Everyone's Swift(s)

This started out as a thread about my Swift, but now it's a general chat about everybody's Swift. So join in, and have fun.

-Chris

Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me....

I finally made a decision on what big heli to get, and I came full circle back to the one I looked at initially. My Swift is ordered, with a delivery date on my 41st birthday (May 25th).

I bought the airframe only right now, since I had coupons and discounts from Tower Hobbies, bringing it down to only $175.

Now the next step: Deciding on the power system! I'm thinking of getting the Z30A-1100 from TPPacks.com since it's alleged to run cooler than the Century motor. I'm going to get both a 9T and a 12T pinion so I can try a 4S setup first, but (knowing myself) I suspect I'll move to 6S fairly soon. I'm going to spend the extra bucks and get the Phoenix 85HV so I can go high voltage (A123??) later if I get the urge.

So, expect (more) dumb questions from me as I get my first "big" heli ready to take to the skies!

-Chris
Last edited by JustPlaneChris; Apr 26, 2008 at 09:02 PM. Reason: changed the title
to remove ads between posts
May 22, 2007, 08:00 PM
Renewed interest
congrats on the purchase, you will have fun playing with the bigger machines.

May i suggest the 3rd bearing upgrade if you have the opportunity to bling a little.
May 22, 2007, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozace
congrats on the purchase, you will have fun playing with the bigger machines.

May i suggest the 3rd bearing upgrade if you have the opportunity to bling a little.
Thanks! That, and the metal head block, are upgrades I plan to install during initial assembly.

-Chris
May 22, 2007, 08:37 PM
You will like the Swift. I am tempted to start buying shiney aluminum parts for mine. I have a new 4S 10000 pack to try if the wind ever dies down here.
May 22, 2007, 09:09 PM
Congrats! I know you did a LOT of research! I know you will love your Swift....PM me if you need any help at all...Ron

Greybird,
How heavy is that battery?
May 22, 2007, 09:14 PM
Chris, I would go with the CC60. You can use it for 4s up to 6s and it will do just fine and cost less. I currently have a CC60 and I went from 3s (yes I said 3s!) to 6s which is what I am currently using. Use an external BEC as the BEC in the CC60 is only good up to 3s. Hope this helps....Ron
May 22, 2007, 09:15 PM
Heavy. 855 gms. Should fly for 20 minutes or so.
May 22, 2007, 09:16 PM
Plastic Buddha
Last edited by aftica; Sep 23, 2008 at 12:42 PM.
May 22, 2007, 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftica
yup, the swift is cool. you're gonna love it!
ah... just go 6s, man...you know you need the power!
I agree! Once you go 6s you will never go back!
May 22, 2007, 09:33 PM
Plastic Buddha
Last edited by aftica; Sep 23, 2008 at 12:41 PM.
May 22, 2007, 09:38 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
Good choice, you will like it alot.

The self tapers work fine for the struts. I have used them in 4 helis at least with no issues.

I would tap the tail boom clamp-holder and use 3mm machine screws though. They hold very nice and adjust easier.

FB
May 22, 2007, 11:06 PM
Chris, Good choice, I don't know what your skill level is but if it is like mine, where I still crash ever so often I wouldn't put the aluminum head block on it. Why, you ask, before I put mine on I never stripped a main gear for over a year, sence I put it on I have stripped a gear every time I crash. Last crash bent the head so I am back to plastic. Will see what happens. Marv
May 22, 2007, 11:40 PM
mad heli scientist
Aftica- You're not gonna leave that excess screw length on there like that are you?
May 22, 2007, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the tips and kind words, guys! I can't wait to start putting it together. And it sounds like I should just skip 4S altogether and go straight to 6S.

-Chris
May 22, 2007, 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingstill
Chris, I would go with the CC60. You can use it for 4s up to 6s and it will do just fine and cost less. I currently have a CC60 and I went from 3s (yes I said 3s!) to 6s which is what I am currently using. Use an external BEC as the BEC in the CC60 is only good up to 3s. Hope this helps....Ron
Thanks, Ron! I was under the impression I'd need the 80, but if I can get by with the 60, that'd save me a few dollars! I will definitely use an external BEC, I do that on all my helis already.

-Chris