May 22, 2007, 01:52 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Thread OP
Discussion

Team30 Micro EDF T-45 BAE Hawk

I have been having a great time building a 14" wingspan BAE Hawk as my current project. It has been fitted with micro servo's (3.7g type), stripped down ESC and a lightened 36Mhz - 4ch Rxer. Lipo is a Hyperion 300mah 20C 2 cell which really gives the motor all it needs. Depron is 1.67mm stuff I have had for a while now. The 30mm Ducted Fan Unit is driven by a test motor so no final specs on that yet other than it's a 10mm inrunner.
Tests so far have had me do a fair few little changes or tweaks and a fair few repairs too! It seemed to think it was a lawn dart during the first few test flights.

It was the first time I got around to making a canopy plug and form a plastic canopy, so another fun bridge crossed.

Here is the completed EDF30 BAE Hawk model minus its insignia's which are yet to be applied:

Final test flights have been postponed due to wet and windy weather.

I am also half way though constructing a pusher prop version (which means I finally get to put my 4g brushless homebrew motor on something interesting) so I can have an indoors version too.

Last edited by NitroCharged; Jan 20, 2019 at 05:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 22, 2007, 05:52 AM
Micro Jet Pilot
Finally! I have been waiting for this thread

Very nice model. Can't wait for a flight report. BTW, canopy material can by found in copy shops, at least here in Germany. Not the transparencies to print on, but the cover material for booklets. Works perfectly...

Chris
May 22, 2007, 06:15 AM
RC-Kraut
Wow - what a beauty, respect! Interesting to see how the electronics sit in the mid of the stream. Does the geometry of this "insert" play a large role, how did you plan it? I am not in EDFs therefore this may sound stupid, but I would like to understand. The carbon rod goes trough the CG?

Thread is subscribed and best wishes for the maiden
May 22, 2007, 11:57 AM
B A bay B E be B I bicky bi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T
Finally! I have been waiting for this thread

Chris
amen! the suspence was killing me

looks great, nitro, very clean. you think it'll be too quick for a large gym for some indoor flying? then again, grass is a lot more forgiving on the nose in those first trial tests than hardwood floors

looking forward to seeing her in the air, and more info too, that little EDF is a beauty.

nice work!

nick
May 22, 2007, 03:18 PM
Hi Dave!

Very beautiful work as always. What is the AUW?
What will be the AUW for indoor pusher version and wing loading?

Frank.
Last edited by indoor_fr; May 22, 2007 at 05:01 PM.
May 22, 2007, 03:22 PM
There you go!
Beautiful work as always, that is really sharp!
May 22, 2007, 10:00 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Thread OP
Thanks Chris - good tip for a source. Mike Glass offered to send some over but his generousity kinda overwhelms me and I feel awkward accepting stuff from him. (You're just such a nice guy Mike ).

I had to place the electronics there as I misjudged the physical size of this thing and the fuse ended up a smidge thinner where I wanted to put the DF unit so it came way forward which means the gear had to come back and that seemed the perfect spot. The CF rod is just where I thought most of the strain would be - and I was right. The pusher version has CF rod the entire length of the wing this time.

AUW on this one is a little over 60g. The AUW of the pusher version is already 8g lighter so we'll see what the final result will be as I am using even lighter gear again this time around. (scored some great stuff off ebay for 99 cents etc.) Not sure about the wing loading yet.

This will definitely be too quick for a gym (especially the size of the indoors events locally) and that's why the pusher version is getting made. Winter is almost here and indoors is drawing me in again so away we go!

Here's the pusher version - I got the 4g BL motor mounted nicely at the rear (3x2 GWS prop attached). I had to stop there as I need the slow CA to really set well as I am going to do an AFT tail (full tail motion) and I need the motor mount to hold some parts for the rods of each tail so no wobbling while I line things up.

Last edited by NitroCharged; Jan 20, 2019 at 05:26 PM.
May 22, 2007, 11:03 PM
OUTSTANDING JOB, Nitro! I'm really impressed! So what type of DF is that. I haven't seen anyone make one that little without having to make it themselves.

Good luck on the test and talk to you later,

Duane
May 23, 2007, 02:44 PM
Dave,
Don't be getting all warm and fuzzy on me

I just enjoy helping good people!

Mike
May 24, 2007, 02:23 AM
Magicsmoke maker
Nitro,

Truly stunning - love every photo of it!

Now, I need to do something similar

Paul.
May 24, 2007, 08:16 AM
Micro Jet Pilot
Nice photo...
May 24, 2007, 05:27 PM
For Sale-everything over 250 g
Hi,
Very nice Nitro! And an excellent canopy!

You should be getting about 50 grams of thrust so it should fly at 60+ AUW. The fan will do 57 grams out of a plane. You'll loose a little from the ducting but it should still be around 50, at least for the first minute or so of running. My pico bandit flew well on 40 grams thrust and an AUW of almost 60 so you should be good.

Did you make templates or a plan. I never was too keen on the Hawk but yours has me wanting one.
Mike
Latest blog entry: Bricks!
May 24, 2007, 06:38 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Thread OP
Thanks guys.

Yes, I have them in adobe Illustrator at the moment. A few pieces are a little incorrect and I have to trim once glued to the model so a little tweaking to be done still.

I was all revved up to get out there and have a test this morning as the sun was out and it felt very crisp but the wind was already up too. Tommorrow is looking very promising. I'll run out for a quick test before heading off (if wifey willing to give me a pass out) to the Jet Action Weekend at Monarto Flying Club here in South Australia.
May 24, 2007, 09:56 PM
Crazy Cessna Owner
how early is early nitro,
I have a fully charged camera waiting
May 24, 2007, 10:11 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Thread OP
As long as I beat the wind Rob

Based on previous tests you may either capture a nice little airborne jet or a very expensive lawn dart in action once again!

I have been seeking guidance this week from fellow RCG'ers on the best way to get this up to speed on launch as there is nothing to hang on to under the model.

Quick Reply