The town that coal built! - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 21, 2007, 05:28 PM
Data

The town that coal built!

Rich Hill Missouri has for it's slogan, "The town that coal built"! At one time Rich Hill had 7 underground mines and there are dozens of strip pits from strip mining all around here. Some small ones and some very large ones. The underground mines were all closed down now and the government made the companies come and re-claim the land. All the new strip mining now has to re-claim tha land and put it back the way it was. I've got a bunch of old pictures of the huge shovel working this area when I was very little. I remember going out there with my folks to watch but got scared because the earth all around trembled like an earth quake. Here are some pictures of the large shovel that was used 56 years ago to strip mine. Also some aerial pictures of a small pit right in town. And Rich Hill owns the original shovel from that machine. Enjoy!
to remove ads between posts
May 21, 2007, 05:32 PM
Here's some pictures of some of these pits from the ground! Also from Google earth!
May 21, 2007, 05:36 PM
Here is the original bucket off that big shovel! These pits are just a drop in the bucket to what is around here. They stretch from Rich Hill clear over to the Kansas border west, and go way south.
May 21, 2007, 05:50 PM
FPV Pilot
Now that's a big shovel. Looking at the first picture I didn't notice anything until I saw the next one with the little trucks down at the bucket . Are those Tonkas (lol )
May 21, 2007, 07:12 PM
Professor of Wood
Wow, that is a big shovel. Thanks for the google Earth shots too. If I saw that without knowing about the mining I would have just thought it was strange shaped lakes. It makes sense that they look that way. Thanks for teaching me something new and sharing that history.

Dan
May 21, 2007, 11:05 PM
Suspended Account
QB, I didn't know there was coal mining in Missouri.

I notice there doesn't seem to be even a basic web page on the town. You might consider putting something together and getting in touch with state, county, or city department to pick it up from you. And there's got to be others in the city with photographs too. There would be children of the miners, across the country, who would like to see it.

Some basic mine facts would be good in that site. Dept, when it began (referring to early newspaper or county real-estate deed stuff), years of operation, why they shutdown, etc.
May 22, 2007, 08:14 AM
Lift is cheap - Drag sucks
Now, that's a coal shovel!

Around here a couple of Buffalo Soldiers went out with a mule and put the stuff in bags.
May 22, 2007, 11:42 AM
Skymind, I've seen lots of old photos since I've been here but they are hard to find now. The older folk that had them are dying off and the pictures are getting lost. There is no mining around here any more except over on the Missouri/Kansas border. I'll do some checking at the local newpaper to see what they have.
May 26, 2007, 06:31 PM
QB,

I didn't understand why the ground would shake. Then I opened the pic and began to look at the scale of things. That thing is HUGE!!!

Great piece of history!

Are those pits stable, ever sink or something?

Roger
May 26, 2007, 07:13 PM
No they are very stable they have a slate bottom. The water is very clear and now they are bass and crappie heaven and they are full of channel cats. The are my fishing holes. Some of them are 60' deep. Most are about 30' deep. I learned to scuba dive in them.
May 28, 2007, 03:06 AM
Smile & wave
Thatís one big TONKA TOY!!! Lovely article QB.

Gray