May 20, 2007, 02:31 PM
Been There! Done That!
Thread OP
Discussion

Building a BlackWing 3D

Ran onto this plane while cruising the net and just had to have one! The plane built stock is a quick build and flys fantastic from the videos and you won't see a bunch just like it at the flying field... that is until you show up with yours! The plane is available at www.rcpowers.com along with some other unusual planes that I will probably build later. This build will be not be fast due to other commitments and as usual I will heavily mod the plane complete with front prop protector as used on Bug and IFO and of course I have to have my Landing Gear. First a few pics of the stock build taken from the manual with Dave's permission. As you can see built stock it is a fast and simple build. Recommended power is the E-Flite Park 400 but I will probably over power as usual with a 450 or even a 480!
Here are the pics from the manual.
boomer
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2007, 03:01 PM
Been There! Done That!
Thread OP

Hinge Progress

The first thing I did was assemble the two wing halves per the pic above but using small sharpened carbon rod pieces in place of the tooth pics. Glue recommended in the manual is epoxy but I used UHU Cement which I find great for foam. Bear with me for a short tutorial on making foam hinges Ala boomer. See attached pics for the steps using a scrap piece of foam. First I cut the hinge on approx. a 45 degree angle using a single edge razor blade and a metal ruler and the table edge. After the cut on both hinge pieces I dress up the cut with a sanding board to be sure its straight without appreciable gaps when the two pieces are mated. I intend to use 1" wide 3M Blenderm hinge tape for the hinge material so lay down a thin coat of UHU just over 1/2" wide on each control half to assure the tape will never come loose. Just a little added insurance. After the UHU dries I use two small pieces of 1/2" Scotch MultiTask Tape to position the hinge before taping. I then install the Blenderm tape and smooth it down and trim the excess from the ends. Result is a super tough hinge that will survive the toughest use with the ability to provide the extreme throws I like in this type of plane.
boomer
May 20, 2007, 03:10 PM
Been There! Done That!
Thread OP

Progress todate

Wing halves joined, control surfaces hinged and painting complete. Waiting on carbon rods to arrive hopefully mid week. Will not order motor until most of plane is complete so I can estimate total weight of airframe. I want 2 to 1 power. I will also not install the motor mount until I determine motor to be used. I may substitute some plywood depending on power choice.
boomer
May 20, 2007, 07:30 PM
Been There! Done That!
Thread OP
Ok after doing a few calcs and some creative guessing I have settled on the Park 450 swinging a 11 X 3.8 SF prop on 2200 3S lipo. I also decided to use HS-81 servos. Should have all the pieces by next week. More later........
boomer
May 20, 2007, 08:16 PM
Just one more flight...
Hey thatís looking great Boomer! The BW has always been a local favorite and a great combat plane for the guys in my area.

My favorite combo for that plane has been a 400 Outrunner with a 10x3.8prop. A 11x3.8 is just going to give you better 3D!

And don't worry about the weight of the 450 - we have flown these pretty heavy and they don't seem to mind with all that wing area.
May 20, 2007, 08:27 PM
Been There! Done That!
Thread OP
Quick question Dave..... Do I need to beef up the motor mount for the 450 IYO?
boomer
May 20, 2007, 08:34 PM
Just one more flight...
I would if you have the hardware available...

But you see up in the first pics of the instructions you posted where it says "use PVC scraps as 'bolts.'" As long as that is being held on there good and your screws are dug in and won't get pulled out you are good.

I have always used the stock PVC mount for simplicity, and as long as it was "bolted" and not jut glued, it always held.
May 21, 2007, 03:45 PM
Been There! Done That!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSuperPowers
I would if you have the hardware available...

But you see up in the first pics of the instructions you posted where it says "use PVC scraps as 'bolts.'" As long as that is being held on there good and your screws are dug in and won't get pulled out you are good.

I have always used the stock PVC mount for simplicity, and as long as it was "bolted" and not jut glued, it always held.
Thanks Dave. I think I'll go with a reinforced plywood firewall. Won't add much weight.
boomer
May 21, 2007, 05:26 PM
Just one more flight...
Yes, good idea. Dave from www.LittleBirdz.com is making me up some ply mounts for the new SP-3D that will be out this summer. They will also fit the BW once we get them.
May 21, 2007, 06:15 PM
In The Sorrano Triangle

Can I Play Too

Just kidding around
jim
May 21, 2007, 06:23 PM
Been There! Done That!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOZINATOR
Just kidding around
jim
Sure anytime! Looks good. How about posting a pic of the LG you used. I will use a LG similar to the one on the Bugs.
boomer
May 21, 2007, 06:32 PM
In The Sorrano Triangle
bump
Last edited by BOZINATOR; May 22, 2007 at 05:43 PM.
May 21, 2007, 08:55 PM
Been There! Done That!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOZINATOR
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=684510&page=5 I am over bugging Dave at the foamie kits forum and in the bug forum
jim
BTW what does your miniature weigh?
boomer
May 22, 2007, 04:03 PM
In The Sorrano Triangle
boomerace,
width 16 inches
length 13 1/2 inches
weight 4oz with 300ma, 4.2oz with 450ma (e-tech 7.4v lipo batteries)
3ea blue arrow 3.6 servos
phoenix 10 brushless speed control
spectrum AR6000 receiver
e-flight 250 brushlelss motor
gws sf 6.3 prop
dubro horns with two posts (holds better in foam)
.032 music wire for linkage and landing gear
3mm carbon fiber tube for stiffeners and landing gear
12" 4mm flat strip not too thick (hard to bend) for prop guard
gws 1.5 inch wheels
blenderm 3/4" tape
hot glue
I haven't flown it yet because of the winds are gusting +20mph
jim
May 22, 2007, 04:08 PM
Just one more flight...
Wow! 4oz. Incredible. You got to let me know how that Bat-Bug flies!

Looking at the landing gear it looks like a clever design. Its mounted real good and strong to the plane and then the spring wire will give in a hard landing.

Very cool! I like!

Quick Reply