May 20, 2007, 12:22 PM
1855-1921 Naval Fan
Thread OP
Build Log

Italeri's 1/35 Elco 80' PT Boat

The girl friend got a 'proper' restaurant dinner on Saturday night...

I just stopped by the local hobby store to buy a bit of copper and walked out with one of Italeri's new 1/35 Elco 80' PT Boats. For a $180NZ it seemed too good to pass up.

Plastic kits have come along since I started building them 22 years ago and if this kit is a possible future of plastic kits, bring it on. The first thing that stuck me was the photographic reference book included with the model which is a nice touch, then it was the photo-etch parts, I and most of you are hoping that in future that kitset manufacturers give up on the plastic hand rails and other small parts the plastic can't mould correctly, I'm particularly temped to leave the bow plate unpainted and clear coated it's natural copper for dash of colour. Next surprise was the metal gun barrels. With model ships and me either they come deformed or I end up bending/snapping them and yet never have lost a mast or conning tower!
The hull is a great treat, nice and solid and the one piece deck held down by screws... I'd swear that someone at Italeri must have realized that these kits would end up in the hand of us RC'ers and not just static modelers. Potential plus. And lets not forget the mesh and wire for various other detailing.

Not many too disappointments, more gripes than grievances. Lack figures for one, I know states clearly on the front of the box that figures are not included, but darn it all who looks at the medium sized print on the box when they are foaming at the mouth with potential new toy. Oh well I know Tamiya does some figures that could used with this kit.
They could have done a cloth-like flag found in some of the newer Biliing Boats kits (eg. Hoga) and maybe added another 2-3 sets of ID numbers, but this can be now done on a modern inkjet printer anyway; no real biggie.

...Oh and the box is too big to hide, hence the dinner...

And surprising the kit looks really easy to build too. I was dreading to see billions of bits of plastic to lose on the workshop floor like 1/350th kits, but no, when the box was opened in the hobby store it just made sense within first few seconds of gazing over the spures. In theory I should be able to knock this one off pretty quickly. And it's going to be green when it's finished which should make a nice change from the normal grey and the camouflage pattern will allow me to test an air brush theory of mine that I thought of in the darkroom.

Can't wait to see the S-100.

Anyhow the next decision is the motor and rudder choice. I'm defiantly sticking to direct drive, not only simplicity but also I've had no problems with the Snowberry and Lindberg's Blue Devil Destroyer, so why change now?
On the right shoulder I've got the devil telling me to KISS it and go with a single motor/screw (400/500/ maybe 600 size) and single rudder layout; there on left should is an angel telling me it's scale model and to go with the historic three screws and three rudders; and then there is old Buddha sitting cross legged on my head being the voice of reason with two motors/screws (I've got a bunch of RS-365s here, too much/too little power?) and two off-the-shelf rudders.
Feedback will be welcomed, but I think it's Buddhism for the new boat.

Stu
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2007, 12:36 PM
Is life for real?
It's so original out of the box Stu you must go for a three engine setup (300- 400), at least two! And pics, lots of them!
May 20, 2007, 03:54 PM
Where's Pamela?
Trumpeter has a 3-man crew for their 1:35 LCM-6, might be able to make use of those guys...

PM
May 21, 2007, 04:08 PM
The sky is my playground.
Got any more info on that S-100?
May 21, 2007, 09:20 PM
1855-1921 Naval Fan
Thread OP
Nothing exciting to report yet... just been bits n' pieces shopping, brass tubes, props (3x 30mm's) and some hardwood. Still waiting on a replacement camera battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dora Nine
Got any more info on that S-100?
You and me both. No sorry, just what I've heard online and from the local hobby store.
http://www.modelshipwrights.com/modu...ticle&sid=2161

Stu
May 22, 2007, 10:53 AM
Stu -

I'm interested in this Italerie version too. I thought you could only go with one screw setup. From what I read, you can opt for 2-3? Is this easily done?

More ...more .... tell us more!
May 22, 2007, 02:27 PM
STU Am going thru the same thought processes for mine. figure two 365's would be plenty of power, am planning on a 6 cell AA NiMH 1600 pack with all the new parkflyer radio gear it just might come in under the weight limit.
May 22, 2007, 11:49 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Who is going to be the first to start a build thread here? I've been following several on other sites.

BTW, Lion Roar is working on a PE set for this great kit (yes, I have one for a future project) & from what I've seen, it will be worth waiting for!

Chuck
May 23, 2007, 11:20 AM
1855-1921 Naval Fan
Thread OP
Righty-o did some preliminarily weight/displacement tests tonight. I worked out where the red bottom of the hull meets the camouflaged top of the hull and started filling the bath, this I believe is loosely where the waterline should be, I then covered up all the prop shaft and rudder holes. I weighted all the parts in the kit that would end up on the hull; total weight was just under 780 grams including the parts that will get cut off. I used blu-tac to hold all the 'other' parts in their places and used a 900 grams/ 2lb of weight (the kind used on weight-lifting bars) to simulate the plastic. Unfortunately 900g/2lb weight was the smallest I had! So this gives me another 120 grams of dead weight play with.
After some moving around of the weight simulating the kit parts I got a reading of 6mm under at the bow and 5mm under at the rear. A bulk of the weight is coming from the kit's parts. So I then removed 100 grams of batteries and she sat a little better. Hard to get a reading due to venturi* effect of the water on the ruler, but maybe 1-2mm.
I took out a motor and I couldn't see a change in displacement. Then look out two batteries, then the spare servo... I couldn't see the difference. So three motors and 9.6 volts shall she be.

The list of non-kit parts being added to the hull:

3x RS-365 Motors
2x 130 sized Motors
1x JR 4 Channel 72MHz receiver (we don't have air/surface rules in NZ)
1x Standard JR Servo
1x Mini GWS Servo
1x JR Servo Circuit
1x JR Servo extension cable
1x Pro-Boat Water-proof ESC
8x AA NiMH 2400 Batteries
1x 8 AA Battery Holder
3x 30mm Props
4x Servo horns
1x Brass Strip 300x50x1.2mm
Plus assorted Brass Rods and Tubing to simulate weight for prop and rudder shafts and linkages.

However... There is extra weight not yet removed or included.
Extra weight to be removed is the plastic sprue frames, the display stand and there is more brass than is actually going to get used in there too. Also I think I might use a smaller second servo and maybe use RF-020s instead of the 130 motors.
The only extra weight that would be added is the paint that's going to get airbrushed on, two 915mm lengths of 8x2mm hardwood/balsa, some Styrofoam and maybe a few crew figures.

The three motor placement should not be an issue, I'm planning of mounting them in a staggered V shape.
And Captain Lee I don't think you'd need micro RC gear for this boat, the fact I'm using a standard servo for the extra rudder torque is more paranoia than common sense. You could VERY easily get away with the standard two channel radio gear, I'm using four channels as I'm going to show off make her look pretty. Come to think of it calling a PT Boat pretty doesn't sound right.

Hopefully tomorrow I start to blunt the new pack of Exacto blades...

Stu

* Venturi Effect - I think this is the right name for the effect you get when you place an object in fluid and the fluid clings to object and climbs up forming a quarter circle shape. Same applies when the fluid is a vessel and it clings and climbs the edge of the vessel and can give you a false reading if the vessel is being used to read the volume of fluid.
If I'm wrong let me know.
May 23, 2007, 11:57 AM
Where's Pamela?
The effect, which generates a curved bit of liquid around an item piercing the surface, is a "meniscus", and it's due to surface tension. Those who read barometers or fluid levels in graduated cylinders need to know about the meniscus' wiley ways.
- Prof. Pat
May 23, 2007, 12:02 PM
Where's Pamela?
How do you plan to access the innards? Whole deck removal or just the cabin?

I don't know much about LiPolys, but this sounds like a place where they'll have a benefit!

Balance- Regardless of how well she floats at the waterline, make sure to allow for adjustment of battery location for trim. I found the placement of just a few ounces on a 4-foot PT made the difference between sweet planing and pushing like a pig on a belly-board.

Pat M
May 23, 2007, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350

I don't know much about LiPolys, but this sounds like a place where they'll have a benefit!Pat M

Couldn't LiPos be an issue for the hull material? The heat might warp or distort the hull. Perhaps an isolated LiPo placement might be called for - or, go with NiCads since wieght is not a major issue as it is in aircraft.
May 24, 2007, 11:19 AM
1855-1921 Naval Fan
Thread OP
Quote:
The effect, which generates a curved bit of liquid around an item piercing the surface, is a "meniscus", and it's due to surface tension. Those who read barometers or fluid levels in graduated cylinders need to know about the meniscus' wiley ways.
- Prof. Pat
Thanks, it's been some time since I last needed too ACTUALLY use it's correct name, I know of it's existence but... and here's me in charge of a lab

Quote:
Pat M
Whole deck. I'm going to run two strips of hardwood down insides of the hull, like an internal gunwale and mount a better screw attachment/mounting setup. Also I'll allow some space for a good strip of 'draft stop' foam tape to assist in water proofing.

Stu
May 24, 2007, 11:43 AM
1855-1921 Naval Fan
Thread OP
Not much to report today, I suffered from surprise visitors who required coffee and entertainment.

Assembled the rocket launchers and torpedoes, got some brass etched part CA'd to my thumb and just started scanning the the model's rudder to make plans for a larger running version when the door bell rang out.

Stu
May 26, 2007, 11:25 AM
Is life for real?

Amsterdam

I was at one of my LHS in Amsterdam today and asked about the price here, 79 and some change not expensive at all considering the details. That's what I paid for my Lindy a couple of years back, I think I'm candidate for one!

Quick Reply