Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 27, 2002, 06:52 PM

why you should gear your glider and played with the cg location...

Hi all

I was pondering for quite a while if I should gear my elipsoid 2.8M.

It fly great with good climb with Mega 22/30/3 DD with 11x6 on 8 RC2400. AUW about 72oz. The thermal here sucks(much lesser), very rare you get a good one unless you fly around 12 noon with the hot sun. Usual flight time about 20 mins.

Finally, I plunked in for a model motor GB(Aircraft-Japan David) 2:1. Now it run on 14x9.5, wattmeter show about 225 watt/24amp = 50w/lbs. I also adjusted the CG about 1.5mm rearward ie tail heavier.

Now it climb slower and more graceful rather than frentic. But the best part is that its lower amp drawn. I can have about 8-9 climb and it will take about 4 mins to come down with no thermal. Because of CG adjustment, it fly a lot more slower(good for indicating thermal) and land a lot more gentle too. Yes!

I did not go all out in trying the setup but I can see the plane fly a lot more different. Its more graceful, all my buddies agreed too. After flying for about mins. I landed and I still have about 70% juice left. It may not sound much but I fly early when the sun barely warm the ground(it rain heavily 7 hrs earlier with puddles of water on the landing strip). So I think I hit it right!

Thanks to all those who share the idea of gearing and adjusting the CG advice.
to remove ads between posts