May 06, 2009, 05:09 PM
Flying Kiwi
fai2....FWIW it seems that only the 72 inch reaper requires 4 servos. I guess its for extra torque, possibly less chance of flutter as the elevon is controlled at 2 points.

Also some guys seem to have split the elevon and experimented with crow braking.

There seems also to be a consensus even from the manufacturer that the 72 inch is not suitable for DS.

Just my personal take on it....Hope that helps.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 04, 2020, 09:42 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Thread OP
Was about to start a new Reaper R60 build from a part built kit i got from one of the past local DSers. Reading over this thread, where i was a teenager living at my parents, brought back a lot of memories. Some of my fondest memories of knowledge sharing and learning on the previous pages. Before anyone really flew composite planes in NZ over the back. Back in the days of the Reaper's beginnings and our dream (which seemed such a big milestone then) of 200mph with it.

This reaper i built suffered a impact which warped the wing out of shape and the goop and strapping tape held it in such shape. I couldn't remove the covering to straighten it as the goop really adhered the covering layers. I gave it away to someone and not long after walked away from DS for several years.

The next Reaper I built, was actually built by someone else (I purchased it second hand online and it was built out really nice) and reworked some linkage geometry and added laminate and lengthened tail. It was the second ever Reaper, after Mark Southall from the UK to break 200mph, and NZ finally had its 200mph Reaper and first foam over 200.

Below is the video.

New one about to grace the workbench with aims of 230+. New servos and build understanding should now enable this. Old methods and understanding definitely meant the Reaper was limited to about 200

Reaper R60 DS Record - 211mph (3 min 16 sec)
Apr 06, 2020, 11:49 AM
U down with EPP? Ya U know me!
Apr 06, 2020, 07:31 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Thread OP
How's your project going Aaron?
Apr 07, 2020, 08:01 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Thread OP
First thing I'm doing is capping the golf club shaft spars with 6x1 carbon strips. This will stiffen the wing up a heap
Apr 07, 2020, 08:08 PM
"PULL IT" -- S.L.
Whoa - Now them some spar caps!
Apr 07, 2020, 08:59 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Thread OP
Yeah that was the one let down with the Reaper's bend strength. Yesh sure, the golf club spars were aa really easy way to do spars, but you're relying on jist the bend resistance of one component. With the capping, now the active bend stresses are taken further apart and provide better resistance in tensjon and compression at skin position
Apr 08, 2020, 01:56 PM
the occasional flyer
Smart. Easy fix. My calculations show at least a doubling (maybe tripling) of bending stiffness. (Depending on how big the club shaft is.)

-David
Apr 08, 2020, 08:22 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
Looks good! I think I gave up before I began on my Reaper DS when I saw how hard it was gonna be to install decent sized servos.
Apr 08, 2020, 08:40 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Thread OP
But we have so many good options available now. This one is getting kst X10s in frames. Do you still have your reaper kit Stu?
Apr 08, 2020, 08:51 PM
Yeah, much better servo options. Yes, still have it. Nope, not gonna sell it.
Apr 08, 2020, 11:52 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Thread OP
Good, was going to say you should build it and push up the Reaper record a bit
Apr 09, 2020, 12:39 AM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Thread OP
Man, this is the stiffest foam wing I have ever built. Period!

It is as stiff as my Waxa wing which did 280, and its not finished yet.

Sub spar is gluing now, then onto tip shaping and sanding, electronics install before final filling and sanding
Apr 09, 2020, 10:53 AM
I’m going to stick with JWs for now, easier for me to build. I do enjoy watching other builds come to life. Might get motivated to try something new.
Apr 10, 2020, 11:55 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Thread OP
Gear layout, fuse shaping and battery installation.

Running a 6cell 7.2v eneloop pack as I'm not so fussed on lithiums in a foamy. Plus, it is weight forward of the CG, and more weight overall ( I think i need this one to be over 2kg, max 2.5kg for the +200 speeds I desire for it)

Quick Reply