Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 19, 2007, 11:20 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
Thread OP
Discussion

IHLGF 2007 Tasks. Strategies

Round Window Throws Objective
1 10 Unlimited Total time Three minute time limit per flight. Ten second penalty per throw after the first four throws.

2 8 Unlimited Four longest flights - two minute max time per flight

3 8 Unlimited Total time - two minute max time per flight. Ten second penalty for each throw after four throws

4 10 Unlimited Three longest flights - Three minute max time per flight. Ten second penalty for each throw after three throws

5 10 Unlimited A two, three, and four minute flight (any order). Ten second penalty for each throw after three throws

6 10 Unlimited Three longest flights - three minute max time per flight

7 10 Unlimited The most number of flights in the following sequence: :15; :30; :45; 1:00, 1:15, 1:30, 1:45: 2:00

8 10 Unlimited Five longest flights - two minute max time per flight. Ten second penalty for each throw after five throws.

9 10 Unlimited Three longest flights - three minute max time per flight. Ten second penalty for each throw after three throws.

10 10 Unlimited A one, two, three and four minute flight (any order).

Hello Gents!
It's only a couple of weeks away and these are the IHLGF 07 Tasks. So who's been practicing?
What are the best strategies for each of the following tasks? Let's hear em! I know some are pretty self explanatory but it would be nice to know for those not in-the-know.
I hear there's a good number of IHLGF first-timers, like me.
I felt some terrible contest jitters at the May 07 Poway contest. I can't imagine how nerve-wracking it must be at the IHLGF. How do you guys overcome the jitters-- if you have/had them?

Jun
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2007, 01:32 AM
M Seid
SD Locals-

Whos in town next weekend? Jun if you are around- Id love to run through each task. Ill be available Friday on through monday.

MLS
May 20, 2007, 02:45 AM
Launch high. Fly low.
Thread OP
Here's my take on these tasks. Please don't hesitate to add more input. I'd like to take on these tasks for best possible outcome to make the strategy easier.

1 10 Unlimited Total time Three minute time limit per flight. Ten second penalty per throw after the first four throws.

Total time? So... Make three 3min flights. Catch on time. Throw a 4th time to add to score.

2 8 Unlimited Four longest flights - two minute max time per flight.

This is a quick turnaround task... Suppose your turnaround is 5 seconds. Do three 1:55 flights. 4th flight should be 2mins.

3 8 Unlimited Total time - two minute max time per flight. Ten second penalty for each throw after four throws.

Another quick turnaround task. Should be the same as task 2. Don't do 5th throw.

4 10 Unlimited Three longest flights - Three minute max time per flight. Ten second penalty for each throw after three throws.

One whole min to play around with to look for lift? Do three 3min flights. Don't do 4th throw.

5 10 Unlimited A two, three, and four minute flight (any order). Ten second penalty for each throw after three throws.

Again, a whole minute to play with. Do 4min flight first, then 3min, then 2min.

6 10 Unlimited Three longest flights - three minute max time per flight.

Again, a whole minute to play with??? Do three 3min flights. Does the 4th flight count to your score?

7 10 Unlimited The most number of flights in the following sequence: :15; :30; :45; 1:00, 1:15, 1:30, 1:45: 2:00.

Self explanatory. These flights total 9 mins. If you have a 5 second turnaround = 40secs. So, 20secs to play with.

8 10 Unlimited Five longest flights - two minute max time per flight. Ten second penalty for each throw after five throws.

Another quick turnaround task! If you have 5sec turnaround, do 1:55 on first 4 flights. Do 2mins on 5th flight.

9 10 Unlimited Three longest flights - three minute max time per flight. Ten second penalty for each throw after three throws.

One minute to play with. Do three 3min flights.

10 10 Unlimited A one, two, three and four minute flight (any order).

Another quick turnaround task. Get rid of the 4min flight first, then the 3, etc etc.

We've done most, if not all, of these tasks at the monthly Poway and EDSF contests. For some reason they always seem to look like brand new tasks every single time. When I miss flight times here or there I sometimes find myself wondering if I should launch again or not... LOL

Jun
May 20, 2007, 09:22 AM
Jun,

Do you really need help from the rest of us to beat us? ;-)

The most important thing: take it one task at a time. Don't think about any other
tasks. Before you fly the task, make sure you understand it. Make sure you know your plan.
What is your plan for a perfectly flown round if you have a read on lift at the start of
the window and if you don't. What is your plan if the air is so bad that even *you*
don't get to fly the perfect round... this is the hard what ifs... should I relaunch and
eat the penalty to improve my score, should I land this flight early and just relaunch, etc.

Talk to other pilots and see if there are any considerations for a task strategy you
haven't heard of. Ask on rcgroups. ;-) Also, your timer can be a huge factor.
I've started to be OK as a timer only very recently... That's a whole different thing
to practice, too.

All three cases are important to plan for. Remember, that a lot of flying will be in
the afternoon after the wind picks up, so the not getting a perfect round causing hard
decisions can be important. There's a lot of difference flying a task at 930 in the
morning compared to 330 in the afternoon.

During the last contest, I had a read before the start of the 3 3s and launched right
away. Some would argue not to do so, because it will tip all the other pilots and they
can end up beating you before the end of the round. I got away with it, though, because
after the second flight, I had almost a minute to get a read on new air, run upwind across
the field to launch, and push out to get to it. Those who sandbagged didn't have that
luxury. I think launching right away was the way to go. Worst case, you end up with
1000 points.

Time your turnaround time and figure out what it is. 5 seconds is long, even for the
safe land the plane by your side ready to pick up by the peg and relaunch. That is what
you should do if you aren't confident with the fast wingtip catch turnaround. It is
much safer than the handcatch, because a botched handcatch can mean a tailslide and
damaged plane or floating past and having to chase it for 5 seconds just to get to it.
The top pilots at the IHLGF have turnarounds with the wingtip grab on the order of 1 second,
not 5.

For the 2 minute tasks, get the full 2 minutes on your first flights. Fly the window on the
last flight. You don't want to be on the ground with time left in the window! You don't
know what your turnaround times will be and there's the fact that the
stopwatch time is truncated, not rounded. (Even if it was rounded, it can make the difference.)
Although, if you flew 1:55 for the early flights, you'd sure freak out your competitors. ;-)

Get your windy afternoon practice. Get your comfort range for searching as large as
possible, but know what your comfort range is and stick to it during the contest. (If you
had a couple of years under your belt, then maybe no guts no glory searching would
be appropriate.) And be prepared, as the top tier of the IHLGF is an endurance contest.

Best of luck, I've gotta go to a TD contest, now.
May 20, 2007, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcats
You should think of this task as an attempt to fly the entire 10 minute working time with the fewest possible throws. With the three minute max time imposed, you need to throw a minimum of four times. That means that you need to average 2 1/2 minutes per flight to do the entire working time in the minimum number of throws. It makes no difference if you fly three threes and a one or two threes and two twos or four 2 1/2 minute flights.

DO NOT land out on this task. Don't take risks chasing lift that might cause you to land out. It is hard to lose big points in this task unless you land out or break your plane and lose a lot of time switching to a backup plane so don't take chances or do things that might lead to that outcome.

Never fly over three minutes. Catch the plane or land at or before the three minute max. Never land far from yourself.

The only reason to do wing tip catches and relaunches is if you are really focused on getting the pure 1000 point score for this round rather than a 990+ score for the round. Giving up a few points by doing slower, safer turnarounds may mean that you don't get that pure 1000 for the round but it is EXTREMELY unlikely to have any impact on your final standings in the overall contest. If you break your plane or get a bad launch by attempting fast wingtip catches and relaunches, you will likely lose big points in this round and drop quite a few places in the final standings of the contest.

Focusing on "fast turnarounds" is a very bad strategy for placing high in the overall contest although it is sometimes necessary to get the pure 1,000 round score rather than a mere 990+ round score.

The safest turnaround is to land at your feet with the left wing tip (assuming right handed thrower) near your right side. Then just pick up and throw. This method,done well, will produce three second turnarounds. Four seconds if you are a bit slower. Next best is to catch the plane by the nose, set it down and then pick up and launch. That is likely to produce the four second turnaround.

Good wingtip catches and relaunches produce two second turnarounds. A one second turnaround with truncating of times requires some combination of good luck and/or a "good" timer who likes you and/or doesn't like to truncate.

Frequently when times are posted that would apear to require one second turnaround times, it is because the timing CD runs a bit slow and gives a couple or few extra seconds of working time.
Quote:
2 8 Unlimited Four longest flights - two minute max time per flight.

This is a quick turnaround task... Suppose your turnaround is 5 seconds. Do three 1:55 flights. 4th flight should be 2mins.]
I agree with this except that I never have a "quick turnaround" mindset. Many experts will land each flight a bit early to ensure that they don't go over the two minute max. Aiming for the catch at 1:58 is a common target time. Of course, as soon as you miss a max (you fly 1:30 or 1:40, for instance) then you start making sure to fly the full two minutes and you slow down a bit to look for air between flights if need be since you will then have some extra time in the working time.

Quote:
3 8 Unlimited Total time - two minute max time per flight. Ten second penalty for each throw after four throws.

Another quick turnaround task. Should be the same as task 2. Don't do 5th throw.
You should do the fifth throw if there is more than about 12 seconds of working time left. All flights count that land in bounds. You should keep throwing until the end of working time unless you can't get more than 10 seconds of flying time to offset the 10 second penalty for extra throws.

Quote:
4 10 Unlimited Three longest flights - Three minute max time per flight. Ten second penalty for each throw after three throws.

One whole min to play around with to look for lift? Do three 3min flights. Don't do 4th throw.
You would do a fourth throw if the remaining working time is longer than your shortest flight. A good timer will inform the pilot of remaining working time and "time to beat" (time to beat would be the shortest flight recorded so far) as the pilot is setting up for the catch after the third flight. This way the pilot knows that he should throw again and he knows how long he needs to fly to improve his score.

Of course, if you are good enough to make all three three minute maxes on your first three throws then the game becomes an attempt to be the first guy to walk off the field with a big smile on your face (just for bragging rights).
Quote:
6 10 Unlimited Three longest flights - three minute max time per flight.

Again, a whole minute to play with??? Do three 3min flights. Does the 4th flight count to your score?
Only the three longest flights count. You can use the extra minute to stand around looking for lift with the plane in your hand. You can also do a short flight and still fly the full task of three threes. If you launch in really bad sink there may be time to come back and relaunch to a different area to look for better air.
Last edited by Phil Barnes; May 21, 2007 at 01:48 PM.
May 20, 2007, 07:08 PM
Come out swinging
I like Phil's comments. I'll take those to the field.

Paul Anderson told me last weekend to make my final approach, over the field, not out of the field. This is a great piece of advice. Suppose I get all my times and I'm approaching the field from the east at the end of the window. If I get a glitch or something, I could land off-field. There goes the 1000! Better to come down from right above my head, within field boundaries.

Drew said, "And be prepared, as the top tier of the IHLGF is an endurance contest".

This is sooo true! If you can keep from getting injured, breaking a primary plane, staying hydrated, and don't land off-field, you will be ahead of the game.

My strategy is to fly each task to the best of my ability and to not look at the score sheet until the final scores are posted. I don't want to fly against pilots that are not in my heats. I only want to beat all the pilots that fly in my heats.

Sean
May 21, 2007, 12:20 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
Thread OP
thanks guys!
great advice and strats!
any more? Keep em comin.

Jun
May 23, 2007, 05:36 PM
Phil, big mahalo from us in Hawaii. This will be the first contest I've been in since 1976. I've been wanting to join the IHLGF since I built my first Orbitor after it won in 1996(?). As I looked over the tasks, I thought the turnaround time was the most important but apparently the scoring different than I thought. Is ones score a percentage of the best in that round? I looked at the rules and tasks and can't find out how the scoring goes. The tips on the first 6 tasks are greatly appreciated. Any more for the other tasks?
May 23, 2007, 06:59 PM
Come out swinging
Yeah, the scores are normalized for each heat. So, if the best score is a 900, this becomes a 1000, and every other pilots gets points added proportionally.

Sean
May 24, 2007, 01:39 PM
Adam RED Weston
Important note when flying over the field, "Just in case"... there are 15 pilots out there holding SAM (surface to air missiles) that aren't necessarily going to see that plane of yours at 15 feet of altitude. Consider an approach that keeps you over the field but outside the kill zone of the SAM sites.
May 24, 2007, 03:09 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_HLG
Important note when flying over the field, "Just in case"... there are 15 pilots out there holding SAM (surface to air missiles) that aren't necessarily going to see that plane of yours at 15 feet of altitude. Consider an approach that keeps you over the field but outside the kill zone of the SAM sites.

I hear yah!!! We had a pretty big turnout on the last Poway contest... I remember almost launching into a couple of planes.
The final approaches are like obstacle courses. Flying low while trying to avoid other pilots, timers and planes espcially during the Ladder round.

jun
May 24, 2007, 03:57 PM
To live is to fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by R/CDragonfly
As I looked over the tasks, I thought the turnaround time was the most important but apparently the scoring different than I thought. Is ones score a percentage of the best in that round? I looked at the rules and tasks and can't find out how the scoring goes. The tips on the first 6 tasks are greatly appreciated. Any more for the other tasks?
If you want a detailed example to look at, check out Polecat Challenge 2006 Scores and you can observe the whole story of the scoring math. I couldn't find last years IHLGF results or I'd have referenced them since this is a thread about IHLGF.

Raw score is the total # of seconds that the pilot flew in that round, subject to the specifications of the task. So, for a 10 minute window, raw score is a max of 600. In the case of the 3 longest flights with a max of 3 minutes per flight the max raw score is 540.

The total group of contestants is divided up into flight groups (looks like A through E in Polecat 2006). Within each flight group, the raw scores are converted to normalized scores. The top raw score is = 1000 points and everyone below gets points based on the ratio of their raw score to that top raw score (x1000). For a round, there will be at least as many 1000 point scores as there are flight groups. There could be more in the case of ties...

I'm curious about the tasks now, because looking at the raw scores I see that Joe Wurts put up 597 seconds in Round 3. His other raw scores show that he never left much time on the table, never more than 10 seconds (assuming there were 3 rounds where the total scorable flight time was 9 minutes in a 10 minute window).

My impression is that the top tier of pilots can all fly the complete task so it becomes a game of avoiding mistakes, as Phil and Sean have pointed out.

73 John
May 29, 2007, 01:04 AM
Launch high. Fly low.
Thread OP
Drew talked about the Timers... I don't think I'm a good timer. I'm pretty bad, in fact. I think I get more nervous than the pilot I'm timing for- most probably coz I don't want to screw up the pilot's flight times and ESPECIALLY the strategy.

jun
May 29, 2007, 11:22 PM
Come out swinging
There are very few threads on timers' responsibilities and strategies.

I have had some good timers and some bad timers. The timers I like best are those who time best for me.

In general, I'd say the timer's responsibility is to:

Write down all the flight times.

Ask how the pilot how he wants the times called (count up, count down...etc.)

Check the sky and the immediate area before final approaches and launches, to avoid mid-airs and trips and falls.

Watch the sky during the round to locate areas of lift and make this information known to the pilot.

Some additional items I think are important are to:

Talk with the pilot about a "battle plan". Make sure the pilot keeps a level head. Make sure to complement the pilot when nice turns are made or good decisions are made. Ensure the pilot that the good air they found will keep them up for the task time. Find some good air for the pilot to launch into before the task time is complete. This helps in fast turn-around tasks if the pilot knows exactly where he will go. Make sure the pilot understands the directional wording you might use (left, north, forward, upwind, flat, milk, banging, etc.). We all have different words we use here.

The pilot and the timer are a team. Maybe someday we can figure a way to add points to the timer's overall score when his pilot does well in a round.

Sean
May 30, 2007, 07:45 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
Thread OP
OK, Sean, you're timing for me! LOL

So what's the strategy for Friday, June 1st? What's there to do?
I'm still trying to come up with a 'Leave-Work-Early' strategy!!!

Hey guys! If you have planes for sale please let me know or put up a 'for sale' sign or something-- if it's allowed. I know someone looking to buy something.

Jun

Quick Reply