May 18, 2007, 10:39 AM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Cool

Avocado from Staufenbiel

Hello,

I've been flying with my MPX Easy Glider for a while now and flight after flight I'm really getting grip of soaring & thermalling. Now I have been looking for a good plane as my second sailplane. I spotted the 2,6m 'Avocado' from German hobby-shop Staufenbiel.

Royal Model - The Avocado

Shop's web-page (I hope the link works)
The Avocado

It seems like an ideal plane to me: regular R/E/A controls, quite light wingloading, ARF kit...nice looking plane with not too high price.

Any comments/experiences on that plane? I like to mostly fly thermal flight, as where I live, there aren't many places for slope soaring. I assume the light wingloading is a plus in thermal soaring (or is it that light)?

There seems to be also a 3,2m sailplane with really interesting price:
Condor 320
Last edited by artemus; Jun 08, 2007 at 01:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 08, 2007, 01:45 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
So... I decided to buy the Avocado- I got it yesterday...
Seems like a really nice 'budget-class' plane.

The fuselage seems to be made of quite a thin material, I only hope it will stand the landings! Perhaps I should try to strengthen it somehow?

It was strange that there was no tow hook in the package. I can imagine that nearly everyone builds their 'Cados as electric-powered... Perhaps they just think that tow hook isn't needed? I think I'll take the hook from my Bird Of Time.
Jun 08, 2007, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemus
It was strange that there was no tow hook in the package. I can imagine that nearly everyone builds their 'Cados as electric-powered... Perhaps they just think that tow hook isn't needed? I think I'll take the hook from my Bird Of Time.
It looks to me like it was more intended as a slope plane than a thermal ship. That would explain the lack of tow hook.
Jun 09, 2007, 12:28 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Well... yeah. That might explain it.

Though in the Royal model website (and in manual), it's said that
Quote:
Avocado is ideal for thermic, high speed and slope flying. It can be used as a glider or an electric powered sailplane.
Manual doesn't have many images to help in assembling the plane, but it's not very difficult afterall. It's ARF type so only some minor trimming is required in addition to glueing the parts together.

I've discovered one thing gone wrong in this kit: the elevator push rod. It is just simply too short for the "glider" version. In electric version the servos are fitted way back the fuselage to counter the motor's added weight. Only in that case the short elevator push rod is sufficient.
Jun 09, 2007, 05:19 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Just put the model together... with recommended component placement, 4xAA NiMH, mini servos and mini receiver the plane balances really tail-heavy. It is going to need literally A TON of nose weight to get the CG correct.
Doesn't look too good, perhaps I'll need that motor to the nose afterall, haha!
Jun 15, 2007, 01:44 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
I've now installed the RC gear. Had a couple of test throws at the field. It needed about 300g of weight to the nose to balance correctly / achieve level flight. The total weight climbs up to ~1650g. Definitely not a thermal plane? Too bad I don't have any slopes around where I live.

I have some problems with the pushrod plastic pipes, they always break loose at landings... I glued them with epoxy glue to the inside of the fuselage at three places. Even normal landings bump the plane so that they tend to break loose...

I mixed some ~300g of steel bearing balls and epoxy glue in a small plastic bag. The nose weight now bears a resemblance to a big cannon slug, fits perfectly to the nose of the plane and it can be removed at any time.

I was able to achieve only very short flight times because the plane doesn't yet have tow hook. It seems to be a very fast plane. I have only the MPX Easyglider to compare and this thing seems to be at least twice as fast as it. Avocado seems to glide a shorter distance with greater speed, at least when hand-launched.

Can't wait until I get the tow hook installed...!

Quick Reply