gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Thread OP
and the old plans ...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
to remove ads between posts
May 18, 2007, 11:47 AM
Foam rules
Its a clasic design, just plain good looking all around.
May 18, 2007, 12:37 PM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Thanks TOG , coming from you, I really appreciate that ...
May 18, 2007, 02:00 PM

Skyray

GPW,
What kind of a foam is this white Skyray? Is it Depron or EPP? What do you think of a skyray with UH blue motor, APC 7X6E, 3S 11.1V, 800mAh 20C? Last but not least, do you have any dihedral on it?

Thanks,
Saeed
May 18, 2007, 04:43 PM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Saeed ... White EPP 9mm ...Should be perfect with the blue motor ... no dihedral on this one , but it would be possible to add a little bit for stability ...The sweepback does contribute to the dihedral effect ...so it is an easy flier...
May 18, 2007, 05:53 PM

Is there a tiled pdf of Skyray?

Is there a chance to have the plan tiled?
GPW,
I only saw a CF under the wing, Is there any other that i missed? I have never used EPP, and like to give it a try.
Saeed
May 18, 2007, 06:12 PM
GPW: The Ford is still popular! Just go over to the pusher prop section, Corsair Nut's F4D is alive and well. I Think I built the first 32 inch FFF last year. GREAT ( SWEEEEEEEEEEET ) flyier! Only got 37 flights on it, it gives you the feeling you are super pilot,when your not,stuck it in the ground about 70 MPH

Before I crashed that one I made a profile one with 22 inch wingspan. but on the nose I used 5 layers of FFF instead of a crutch. Worked great to put Battery in. This one I flew to death, took the gear out of it last month and gave it to the neighbors kids.

I also made a profile one with a crutch ,like yours,and it would not turn. My first profile without the crutch would turn , so I started " thinning" down the forward nose part of the crutch,when it got real skinny it started turning. I also gave it a rudder. BAD NEWS!!! Rudder would only roll it, Tried cross controlling and it went into a flat spin that hit the ground! Taped up the rudder!

All in All 'RAYS are a blast to FLY and FLY they do ,almost a beginners plane or tear up the sky plane

Yours should be a BLAST!!!

Blue Skies TIM
May 18, 2007, 06:18 PM
Just looked at you pics again: HEY is that " Black Bamboo" for the spar????

Blue Skies Tim
May 19, 2007, 03:46 AM

Tiled letter.....

That's it !

Franky.
May 19, 2007, 06:06 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Cloud ... I had it , didn't have to cut it , used it...still don't like it !!!
Franky , a BIG Thanks for the tiles...mine flew fine with the ejected pilot... the new mods should account for that (see-thru canopy ,and BIGGER rudder) .. I added about 3/4" to all sides of the fin...you must do so to the plans ... don't forget...
Windy today , but I'm going out to try it anyway...
May 19, 2007, 06:16 AM
GPW the canopy seams to be missing on the lateral view of the plan !
May 19, 2007, 06:27 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Hmmm , hadn't noticed ...not my .pdf ...don't know ... just bend a bamboo skewer to resemble the canopy and stick it on ...That's easy ... and we know that works ...
May 19, 2007, 07:50 AM
Hmmm 3/4" to all sides What is 9MM + 3/4" ? Thats quite thick . Are you sure you want a rudder that thick ? And where does a person find "Black Bamboo" Gosh ! About time I get all this stuff figured out "youall" do a change up. I was trying to build with balsa wood and then I had to Buy a bundle of FFF and now its no good cause EPP is better. Go figure ?

Confused in Tenn.
May 19, 2007, 08:08 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Just got back from flying the F4D... Lucky , I guess, it flew just fine ... turned , rolled (nice too ) , loops , flies inverted...wouldn't hover , but did some nice high A stuff... The C-20 worked fine on 2s/7oo and the whole plane felt light and floaty , wasn't that fast , but with 3s that will change ...
Nub, That's 3/4" to the OUTLINE of the fin ...not the thickness...
black sharpie + bamboo = black bamboo
This plane will fly fine in FFF , I've just been on a roll with EPP , cause I have some ...
May 19, 2007, 08:23 AM
I guess now I got to go buy a sharpie. You guys are killin me. Hehe

Still Confused in Tenn.

Quick Reply