May 17, 2007, 07:22 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Thread OP
Discussion

SKYRAY...continued

A couple years back , we built a large and small blucor Skyray... They both flew well , once we cut the canopies off (pilot ejected), otherwise it wouldn't turn . once ejected they were SMOOTH elevon fliers... other projects (as you know) got in the way of further development ...
So we got out the EPP and made a new set of templates ,mid sized, and built a new EPP Ray' especially for the new C-20 motor (Strong ) the new j250 bl replacement ... very light and inconspicuous in the pusher position... perfect for the Ray...Wingspan is 22" , to best use the SloFly Epp sheets...length is 27" weight without battery is right at 5 oz. Nice and light !!! An enlarged fin and a see thru canopy(something we learned to do on Chara's Baby Mig ) should rid us of the old turning problems ...
I'll get some pics Up as the light gets better .... I have the tiled scans , but will probably have to get MS to figure out how to post them ... we know the Blu versions flew well ,but haven't tried this particular model in EPP yet , the others we converted to EPP flew fine , so really no troubles here...
Just wanted to let you old Ford Fans know, we're still flyin'...

The new updated plans are at www.FoamFly.com/gallery/Glen
Last edited by gpw; Jun 11, 2007 at 06:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 18, 2007, 05:58 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Wow!!! Glad the Ray is so unpopular ... I'll be the only one at the field with one ... finally ...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
May 18, 2007, 06:46 AM
I'm here. Let me get back from Fla. and im going into a building mode.

Ken
May 18, 2007, 06:49 AM
Foam rules
gpw, maybe pictures or a link to the old planes might help. Even I'm having a hard time remembering it. Remember you have made a ton of designs and its hard to keep up with them all.
May 18, 2007, 06:54 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
TOG , you should be on this end ... waaaay advanced clutter, foamies everywhere, I go to my friends houses , my old foamies everywhere....I think I may be getting addicted to foam ...I don't know if that's bad , but it is Fun !!!!
So many designs, so little time ...
May 18, 2007, 06:55 AM
-+- PhlatBoyz -+-
Hi GPW , do you have any pics of the new version?
Also I was looking up these c-20 motors I have never used them before, what are the prop specs that can be used with this size motor?
It would be great if some company out there would come up with a single esc that you could run 2 or 4 bl motors from so we could start building multi motor planes like the old brushed style, seems like a lot of those designs are fading out with everyone going brushless and no one wants to buy two or four escs.
Mark
May 18, 2007, 07:01 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
TOG , you should be on this end ... waaaay advanced clutter, foamies everywhere, I go to my friends houses , my old foamies everywhere....I think I may be getting addicted to foam ...I don't know if that's bad , but it is Fun !!!!
So many designs, so little time ...https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...hlight=sky ray

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ght=f4d+skyray
Last edited by gpw; May 18, 2007 at 07:09 AM.
May 18, 2007, 07:09 AM
Foam rules
At least you have a place to keep them all, I don't. Its at the point if I build one another has to go. I have plans cut out for a larger version of the GeeBee I did few yrs back, but can't build till I can figure out whats gonna go.

Anyways this is a great little design. I had one, never took pic's, but it had twin 50 brushless edf's stuck on it. What a blast.
May 18, 2007, 07:23 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
TOG , it took me 50 years to get to my own Hanger... worth waiting/working for ...
Several months ago my computer hard drive went South , along with all my pics , plans ,music ,all the fun stuff ," bon voyage ".... MS fixed it for me but the bits were lost .... Hope my backUP has some stuff ...???
Kram , I've got pics and specs coming , but this is my "grocery" morning ....old retired guys have to earn their keep ... will be back around 11:00cst...... yeah, I'm too cheap to use two esc's on the same plane .... so far ...??
May 18, 2007, 09:03 AM

Large Skyray

I have a large one sitting in my hanger - I basically a scaled up version of the little 6" balsa glider from many years back - Fuselage is 2 layers of blue core, and the wing is 1 layer but I had to glue a section to the front. Span is 30 -36". Need some longer cables in order to get everything as far forward as possible.

Did think of mounting the motor / prop on a stick ahead of the rudder.
May 18, 2007, 09:16 AM
Krued Up
Nooooooooooo,Arghhhhhhhh
another one to the ever growing list.will follow this one
May 18, 2007, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snolord1
Nooooooooooo,Arghhhhhhhh
another one to the ever growing list.will follow this one
I know the feeling. They got Tony kicking out one a month. GPW's allways adding to my list. Gene's got a library Of plans. I'm going to have to not spend so much TLC cause i'll
never get caught up. It took me over a week to build my suitcase Blu-Baby. So many plans , So little time.

Ken
May 18, 2007, 10:46 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
The promised pics ... all it needs now is rx and esc... (10min)
May 18, 2007, 10:52 AM
My plans are in my blog
This is a nice plane. Looks fast just sitting there! One of these days I'll need to do one.
May 18, 2007, 10:59 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
If MS makes it out this weekend , he might take some videos... the old Blu ones flew fine , no reason this one shouldn't... and no need for the spare nose either

Quick Reply