May 16, 2007, 10:18 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Park sized I-16 Rata

Здравствулте! друзья, это будут моей самой новой моделью (Hello friends, this is my newest model). It is a park sized I-16 Rata. It has a wingspan of 30" and will be powered by a brushless IPS motor. Target weight will be 9-10 ounces. It was designed using Turbocad and the parts have been laser cut. Here is a picture of where it is at right now. Current weight is about 5 ounces.

D-Rock
to remove ads between posts
May 16, 2007, 10:27 PM
Thread OP
Here are some of the construction photos. The horizontal is straight forward. The model builds like a large Guillows kit. The wing jig allows me to build the wing with the dihedral and washout right into the wing. The wing features 1/32 balsa sheeting from the leading edge to the main spar. There are cap strips on the remainder of the ribs.

D-Rock
May 17, 2007, 09:39 AM
Wow! D-Rock looks great! There are so many great paint schemes out there on this bird from the Spanish Civil War to WWII with the VVS. Two very good web sites are www.sovietwarplanes.com and http://vvs.hobbyvista.com
There's great reference material and history info. with tons of profile schemes and scale models of all types of the I-16.
Again great job so far. Do you have a scheme in mind?

Pete
May 17, 2007, 09:58 AM
Pro Hoarder
Very nice work! I like the old school build style(as you say Guillows style)...should be a great park flyer...will you be selling short kits?
Scott
Latest blog entry: In flight
May 17, 2007, 02:05 PM
Always Ready!
Sign me up - would also like a short kit!
May 17, 2007, 02:33 PM
Thread OP
Pete, thanks for the kind words. Those links are great. Not sure what paint scheme I am going to use, probably something simple due to this being the prototype. Your depron I-16 was part of my inspiration to do this bird. After doing some interpolation, I found my projected CG point to be very close to yours.
Scott and Warhead 71 thanks for your interest. My plan is to offer this as a short kit once I get all the gremlins and flight-testing done. I tried to keep the build as basic as possible, so if you have a few kits under your belt, you would have no issues with it. I was actually very surprised on how quickly it has gone together. With me taking notes it probably has about 2 days work put into it. Thanks for the support and interest and will try and post more construction photos tonight.

Derek
AKA D-Rock
May 17, 2007, 08:32 PM
Thread OP
Here are some shots of the fuse construction. The keel and vertical are 1/8 balsa and the formers are a mixture of 1/8 and 1/16 balsa. The rudder is cut free once the vertical is complete. There are precut lines to show where the hinge/cut line is. The stringers are 3/32 balsa. I only glue a few in before removing from the building board and attach the other former halves. This helps to reduce the chance of warping. Will post more in a bit.

D-Rock
May 17, 2007, 10:14 PM
Thread OP
Here are a few more construction shots. The fuse has the other side attached with the stringers. The center section where the wing is located is removed after assembly. The locations are precut slightly for easier removal. Once the cap strips are on the wing, the ailerons can be cut free and sanded to shape. The wing is designed with bellcranks instead of my usual flexrod for the aileron operation. On a smaller wing it is an easier setup with bellcranks and there is little slop. The wingtips are 1/16 sheet with 1/8 blanks sanded to shape.

D-Rock
May 18, 2007, 07:42 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
I love this plane and will eventually build one. I'm looking for something a bit bigger though like a 40 wingspan or something like that.

Your plane looks fantastic. Great work.
May 18, 2007, 07:59 AM
Hey D-Rock,

Is everything laser cut including the stringer slots on the formers? It's been a long time for me building a stick and tissue Gwillows type plane since I found Depron foam. As I remember doing all the Gwillows models the real pain for me was to re-cut the stamped parts.
This has got me interested if everything falls out of the tree that's cool and would make it pretty easy. Count me in as well though I just don't know where I'd get the build time these days. As I said I also have the TDM I-16 and another fiberglass I-16 but one can't have too many of these stubby birds. They are great flyers with tons of room to put stuff up front and inside.

Pete
May 18, 2007, 03:44 PM
Thread OP
Hi Pete, yes the notches for the stringers are precut. The stringers are 3/32 balsa for the fuse frame and 1/16 balsa for the turdledeck. I had the fuse framed up in less than one evening. The parts have just a few tabs that hold them in the "tree" and it only takes just a few mins to cut them loose. All of the parts are laser cut, no die-crunch.

D-Rock
May 19, 2007, 01:58 PM
Thread OP
Did a little more work on the I-16 last night. The wing has been mounted and the belly pan finished. There are grips to aid in hand-launching built into the belly pan. The rudder and elevator servos have been mounted as far forward as possible to make balancing the aircraft easier. The tail section has been covered including the turtledeck. Not my best covering job, but it is a prototype and I am not being too critical. I plan on covering more of the aircraft today and will try and post more pictures.

D-Rock
May 19, 2007, 09:40 PM
Thread OP
More work done on the covering. The fuse is now covered and I have started on the wing. The rudder and elevator are hinged with "Easy" hinge sand are now hooked up. The ailerons are hinged with the covering on the top and the bottom.

D-Rock
May 19, 2007, 09:47 PM
D-ROCK,
Very nice subject, Can't help but love this aircraft. What part of the valley do you fly in?

Regards,
Victor
May 19, 2007, 11:29 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Victor, I often make a long hike out to Chandler, there is a very nice park out there. I live in North Phoenix, so its a bit of a drive .
Got a bit more done tonight. Most of the plane is covered, except the belly pan. I have all the controls set up and I have to make the battery tray. This will sit right under the motor and there will be a hatch to access it. Just a few more things and some markings at it will be ready for its maiden.

D-Rock
Derek

Quick Reply