May 15, 2007, 12:25 PM
Groundloop World Champion
Thread OP
Question

Fox Buzzard 144 R/C Sailplane, Kit No. F-6

Anyone have any info on the Fox Buzzard 144 R/C Sailplane, Kit No. F-6 ??
There's one listed on eBay but no PICS or specs
The description says "Wing tip rudders - a new concept of direction control-turn flat, no skid, no nosing down" Hugh ???

Thanks

Old_dude
to remove ads between posts
May 15, 2007, 12:40 PM
70 is the new 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dude
Anyone have any info on the Fox Buzzard 144 R/C Sailplane, Kit No. F-6 ??
There's one listed on eBay but no PICS or specs
The description says "Wing tip rudders - a new concept of direction control-turn flat, no skid, no nosing down" Hugh ???

Thanks

Old_dude
I actually have that sale bookmarked while I find some pics and info. I remember that it was a Berkely kit resold by Fox, so that probably says something about it. I have some old MANs that almost certainly have ads for it; just a matter of digging through them. I'll let you know what I find out because I seriously doubt I'll go for the auction.

bob
May 15, 2007, 01:12 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the response Bob Let me know if you find some data.

I'm guessing that it has a flat bottom airfoil and if so then I'll pass on it also.

Old_dude
May 15, 2007, 01:32 PM
My father built one when I was a kid. I still have a set of plans. Old school stick built box fuselage. Old style undercamber airfoil. Huge chord with little spar. It did have little tabs sticking up from the wing tips that acted as "rudders" to get the thing to turn. Small rudder with huge span issue. It is a cool old school design but not sure if it is practical in this day and age.

Mark Miller
May 15, 2007, 02:54 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Mark, I appreciate the info. Sounds like an Arizona style boomer thermal would turn it into a bag of broken sticks

old_dude
May 15, 2007, 06:27 PM
Dude,

I fear you may be right. I'd hate to land it on that desert hard pack too.

Mark
May 16, 2007, 02:50 AM
70 is the new 50
Well, I checked through what I could find of my old MANs (Ca. 1962) and although there were plenty of Fox ads, none showed the Buzzard.

From what I recall, Mark's description of his fathers (Jeez I'm feeling old now) model is quite accurate. FWIW, it was a Berkely kit and by todays standards a relatively poor kit that with a ton of work could be built into something nice - but dated. And yes, one of our "trash haulers" would probably rip it to shreds.

...bob
May 16, 2007, 08:52 AM
I sold one of these kits about ten years ago. Tons of wood, mostly sticks if I remember correctly. The best thing I remember about the kit was the box art; a picture of this woman holding the completed glider, wearing what looks like a Bettie Page-style bullet bra! Yow.

John
May 16, 2007, 08:59 AM
70 is the new 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cole
I sold one of these kits about ten years ago. Tons of wood, mostly sticks if I remember correctly. The best thing I remember about the kit was the box art; a picture of this woman holding the completed glider, wearing what looks like a Bettie Page-style bullet bra! Yow.

John
That's what I remember too, John...the 50's style torpedo bra and girdle-looking bottom. Hubba Hubba!
May 16, 2007, 09:11 PM
Full Scale Better! UOHHHH!
You guys are TOO much!!
May 17, 2007, 09:53 AM
The kit was a Fox after all.

Mark
Sep 05, 2009, 09:05 AM

fox buzzard 144 sailplane

Have the old Berkeley-Fox kit for the Buzzard 144" sailplane from the late '60s. Need plans. Any ideas? Mike
Sep 05, 2009, 07:44 PM
I got my plans from John Pond back about 15 years ago. John has passed and his plans are now part of the AMA plan collection. Check with the AMA plan service. They should be able to provide them.

Mark
Sep 06, 2009, 11:14 AM
Muchas gratsias.
Sep 06, 2009, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelshoen
Have the old Berkeley-Fox kit for the Buzzard 144" sailplane from the late '60s. Need plans. Any ideas? Mike
Hi Mike,

I have one of those kits still in the box... I'm not sure when I'll be gettting to building it as I have a few other projects lined up... Would you be interested in posting a build log here as you move along... The kits will still show up for sale from time-to-time and would be a great resource if you did... No pressure mind you... lol...

I bid you good building on your project...!!!
Last edited by KickAce; Sep 06, 2009 at 01:03 PM.

Quick Reply