This thread is privately moderated by YarSmythe, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 15, 2007, 09:30 AM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Discussion

My Kyosho Cardinal Fleet

Some of my friends just don't realize how much I like this plane. A photo is a good way of proving my point...

I own four (4) Kyosho Cessna 177 Cardinal models. These were made in the late 80's and discontinued shortly after. The fuselage is made of a polyethylene plastic mold and the wings are foam core covered in plastic sheeting. Strong, durable...easy to assemble. All of my flying models are very agile and extremely fun to fly. Many are surprised to see how acrobatic they are.

My father purchased my first Cardinal in the early 90's (first one on the left). It is gas powered by an O/S .15. The engine is actually older than the plane and still runs perfectly! I've flown this model for over 15 years and still enjoy flying it as I did when it was new. It hasn't required much in the terms of repair...but, as you can see, the window stickers are long gone. Fuel has a way of doing that to decals.

The second kit was purchased about 2 years ago off of Ebay (top center of photo). It was a gas powered kit that I converted to electric. Powering this plane is an AXI 2814-12 outrunner....in a word, ZOOOOOM! Way overpowered as take-off runs are probably 20' or less. Thrust ratio is close to 1:1. Very manuverable and probably my favorite plane of all my kits.

The boxed plane was also purchased off of Ebay (thank God for Ebay) and is quiety awaiting it's time for construction. After building the electric version, I wanted to make sure I had a 'backup' in case I got a too aggressive. My friends love to say "Crashy Smashy" to me when I dork something.

Finally, the most recent kit (pictured on the far right) was acquired about a month ago (again, thank you Ebay! ). Interesting story about this one is that it is actually MADE for an electric motor (albeit, a powerless brushed motor) and the wing and tail surfaces are balsa (compared to foam core on the other three). It must have been the "first" design before they switched to foam-core wings. The construction of the wing was beautiful. I've never a built a wing this true before. When the box arrived, I didn't realize that it was only a 3-channel aircraft....no ailerons. It pained me to rip apart the wings but I just had to have ailerons. So, after CAREFULLY removing the covering and trimming out the wing tips, I was able to install (2) Hitec HS-81's servos into the wing panels and install the ailerons. I took a lot of time doing this as to keep the wing looking as nice as it had come out of the box. The plane is a joy to take-off and land as this one has the ability to use FLAPS! As for the motor, I ditched the brushed motor and opted for a BP 2908-10. Not as much power as the AXI but very similar in size and weight. Flies great.

So there you have it. My "Dream Team". If I had to move or reduce my current inventory of 23 flying kits, these four would definitely make the cut.

Cheers!
Last edited by YarSmythe; May 15, 2007 at 09:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 29, 2007, 03:30 PM
Nice Cardinals. I love vintage Kyoshos. I have thre Valencias and a Petit Breezin alongside a wholebunch of Concept helis. Nice to see there's another 80's Kyosho fan...!
Jan 09, 2008, 04:23 AM
If anyone knows where I can get my hands on a copy of the manual for the cardinal's, I' d be forever greatful:-)
Jan 27, 2012, 07:00 PM
There you go:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/79365600/K...nal-m36-Manual

Better late than never
Feb 19, 2015, 06:41 PM
Surfing the Skies
Just came across 2 of these kits in the garage that my dad had purchased long ago. THey are of the foam with plastic covering on wings type seeming built for electric motors. Does anyone have any experience making the ailerons functional for these type of kits? It seems a torque rod setup might be possible but I dont know.

Quick Reply