Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 13, 2007, 01:38 PM
Build Log

Project: Nemesis NXT

Well now I've gone an done it, my first attempt at scale sloper of my own design. I’ve always had a fondness for racing aircraft, especially the modified warbirds. There already seem to be quite a few Mustangs, Aircobras, etc flying at the slope. I wanted to try something different and looked at the Sport Class racing aircraft. The most appealing to me are the RV-6, Lancair and Nemesis NXT. I decided on the NXT because I really like the look. It’s my first completely scratch built glass plane and boy what a learning process it’s been.
Last edited by SteveB; May 13, 2007 at 01:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 13, 2007, 01:45 PM
The design part was reasonably straight forward. I found a lot of pictures and a set of side and top views. I just traced out the side & top in AutoCAD and started making adjustment. I decided to work toward a 48” wingspan plane. I looked at some of the Slope Scale kits and found that most seem to be around 30” long, so that’s the size I scaled my drawing to. I consulted the experts here on the group and the consensus was to narrow the fuselage a bit and stretch the wing and tail. I did that and decided on an 8.5 % RG14 airfoil for the wing.

I decided to start carving a plug. I couldn’t find any large pieces of basswood around here, so I went with foam covered in glass. This decision while initially appearing to save time, a few incidents with the foam almost ended the project.
May 13, 2007, 01:48 PM
Glass, prime and fill the plug. This is where one of my mistakes happened. I had a hole about ¼” diameter in the wing saddle. It was right at the wing leading edge and the bottom of the cowl, so it was going to show and had to be filled. I had the Bondo glazing compound handy squirted in a big glob. Initially it looked good, but there was a hidden surprise! When I started to sand it dropped into a bigger hole about ¾” diameter. The bondo had eaten away the foam in that area. So make sure you don’t use that glazing compound on your unprotected foam plug.
May 13, 2007, 01:51 PM
PNF
subscribed
May 13, 2007, 01:51 PM
I cut out a parting board and mounted the plug in it. I used ¼” hardboard because I had it on hand, ½” melamine shelf board would be a better choice. I used 3 layers of 6 oz and 1 layer of 12 oz glass for the mold. The first half came out pretty good, just one hole near the edge of the spinner that had to be filled. I decided to fill it with epoxy and cabosil. Here in Utah it was too cold in the basement to properly cure the epoxy so I set a halogen lamp about 12” above that area to heat it. It was a great idea that with help from the cat came the closest to ending my project. The cat knocked over the lamp and I found it about 2” from the plug in the morning. Remember my plug is glass covered foam. After work I took a closer look and at first it looked ok. I touched the spinner area and watched it crumble. The heat from the lamp had melted the foam inside the glass all the way back to about the first ½” of the cheek cowl on the right side. I had to cut out the damaged area, add foam and sand it back to shape. So lessons learned: 1. Make both halves of your mold before making any repairs. 2. If you use a foam plug secure any heat sources and keep the damm cat out of the room !
May 13, 2007, 01:54 PM
Speedy Tree Surgeon
Cool,thats a funky lookin plane.
Are you doing the same paint job as in the pics?

Good luck

Tim
May 13, 2007, 01:55 PM
I used three layers of 6 oz glass and a 2” strip of 6 oz carbon fiber to stiffen it up. The first two layers of glass are full length, the third piece runs down about 2/3” of the fuselage. The carbon strip runs full length and really seems to help stiffen the fuselage. I had hoped to try joining this one in the mold, but just couldn’t get the hang of it. I had to use the tried and true method of spot gluing the halves together with CA then gluing in a 1” piece of glass on the seam. I think it turned out ok. The second fuselage I managed to glue the seam while it was still in the mold. It looks much better that this one.
May 13, 2007, 02:01 PM
The wing is a blue foam core with balsa trailing edge and a laminated basswood leading edge. I covered it with one layer of 6 oz glass and 1/64 ply skins. The tips are plain old balsa blocks. I used about 2" of dihedral and it seems about right. All the tail parts are 3/16 balsa with 3/4 oz glass.
May 13, 2007, 02:03 PM
My First Nemesis NXT is assembled and I can't wait to test fly it.
May 13, 2007, 02:07 PM
We had a windy day come up this weekend. So I headed for the point of the mountain to get a test flight in.
May 13, 2007, 02:14 PM
auto-tune remix
Really nice plug. What primer is that?
May 13, 2007, 02:34 PM
Thanks. I have been using plain old Kyrlon. The color on the plug is their 1318 All Purpose Primer Gray.

I've got a two short videos, but they are too large to post. They are 29 MB & 121 MB MPG files. I need to find a converter to make them smaller, cause zipping doesn't do much.

SteveB
May 13, 2007, 02:43 PM
Vitruvian JART
Love that NXT, Steve. Can't wait to see which color scheme you decide to go with.

And, of course, I can't help noticing that you have another interesting project going there...
May 13, 2007, 02:45 PM
Plane dodger
Vary racy. Excellent molds and plugs, will be refering to this for my Zulu build.

killer
May 13, 2007, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB
We had a windy day come up this weekend. So I headed for the point of the mountain to get a test flight in.
And.............................................? It's not nice to keep us all hanging!