Feb 01, 2019, 02:55 AM
I think this will be the minimum motor I'll use: Cobra CP-2814, here is Castle log from 2000kv version, an absolute favorite motor. Last 2 tracings with 7x7 CF prop, and nasty crash at 100A....Wing has been shipped, ready to start.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 04, 2019, 12:39 AM
Retired USAF, A&P mechanic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdimand
I think this will be the minimum motor I'll use: Cobra CP-2814, here is Castle log from 2000kv version, an absolute favorite motor. Last 2 tracings with 7x7 CF prop, and nasty crash at 100A....Wing has been shipped, ready to start.
Interested in your build and motor selection. Ive ran the 2300kv, 2217 I think and I still need to dial it in before im comfortable to fly FPV. I put the 1850kv and will probably LOS test it hopefully next sunday.
Feb 04, 2019, 01:06 AM
Thanks, building more for speed and performance than crazy FPV, will get dialed in LOS first, and maybe some combat along the way. Won't get to FPV initially, anticipate too hot at first. 80A will just be cruising at 100mph at partial throttle..

Started the build last night...
Feb 12, 2019, 12:24 AM
Oops, motor mount a little tight for the 35 or 36 mm motors, out comes the grinder or saw to widen it a little. Really like the motor mount, so worth the work. will be a speed machine. The Exceed RC is 37mm OD, the Cobras 36mm, it matters with this mount. Looks like the Cobras will win.
Last edited by Rdimand; Feb 12, 2019 at 12:32 AM.
Feb 18, 2019, 02:01 AM
Anyone know if you can buy extra motor mounts?? Shot Chris a note but no reply. Had to grind the insides to fit my motor, now sweet.
Feb 19, 2019, 01:05 AM
Hope this isn't Blasphemy.

Finishing HC 44, my first and customized for speed and night combat. Exceed RC 3020-1500, Castle Lite 75, will start with 8.5x7 (?8x8 or 8x9 next?). Below tracing is from another wing with this power plant, yes 90+Amps and 1200Watts, very comfortable, fly it all the time. Have to decide on center fins, skid, etc as standard setup not ideal for combat, center fins too tall. For esc cooling, etc, left foam and no hatches, but top is perfectly clean. Once I decide on winglets, fins, skid, etc (?any suggestions), will add neon orange to top. Can easily add FPV, has a plug for 4s power. Battery little further forward, CG will dictate battery size, hoping for 3000 4S, may need more.

This should absolutely rip, and be brutal in combat. Superb wing Chris!! #2 will be a standard build.
Feb 24, 2019, 08:11 PM
Hugely successful maiden of modified HC 44, a badass wing. Modified for combat, center fins smaller, but enough to protect motor, winglets similar but a little larger. 4S 3300, APC 8x8 and it just rips, insanely fast, with crazy fast roll rate. Had to do bunch of trimming, needs no reflex, as I had some dialed in. Flew 3 batteries, all smiles. Badass, will do standard build for FPV next, and FPV can be easily added here. Hope to get video soon.
Last edited by Rdimand; Feb 25, 2019 at 02:00 AM.
Feb 25, 2019, 06:13 AM
A God Among Mortals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdimand
Hugely successful maiden of modified HC 44, a badass wing. Modified for combat, center fins smaller, but enough to protect motor, winglets similar but a little larger. 4S 3300, APC 8x8 and it just rips, insanely fast, with crazy fast roll rate. Had to do bunch of trimming, needs no reflex, as I had some dialed in. Flew 3 batteries, all smiles. Badass, will do standard build for FPV next, and FPV can be easily added here. Hope to get video soon.
Looks great, would love to see some video of it flying at night...
Mar 30, 2019, 01:22 AM
Hopefully video soon, this wing is so badass and tough. Tricky to launch, bounced into ground under full power, 3 bounces. Just picked up and launched again. Very tough and very fast. Here is Castle log, no wonder it rips. Just insane. Very fast and very agile. Motor and esc are cool after these rips. Yes, 90-100A and 1500+ watts. The HC44 loves it, need high C batteries, squeezes them, 3000-3300 4S. And yes, from Exceed RC 3020-1500kv, a $15 motor. Have used these a lot on several combat/speed wing it just keeps on taking it, cool to touch at end. Superb airfoil, just perfect for this setup.
Last edited by Rdimand; Mar 30, 2019 at 01:56 AM.
Apr 02, 2019, 01:44 PM
Retired USAF, A&P mechanic
How does the graph compare to a wattmeter?
Apr 02, 2019, 03:03 PM
Quote:
How does the graph compare to a wattmeter?
Great question and not same measurements. The wattmeter measures static power, and may be affected by stall speed of high pitch prop at zero mph speed. On the 3020-1500 4S 8x8 the stall speed of prop is 46mph, so prop not fully engaged (no stall) until 46mph. The data logging is in the air measurements, aka dynamic power, so different here. On many of my high pitch props, the higher power readings are seen at takeoff, where prop stalls and less efficient; not seen here as the HC 44 does better at 3/4 throttle take offs, had some harrowing take offs at full power.

All that said, haven't tried watt meter (have to find mine...) as I use these downloads to adjust props. This one is perfect, 2 other wings getting propped up after seeing Sunday's readings. Just my way of doing it, works for me.
Last edited by Rdimand; Apr 02, 2019 at 03:09 PM.
Jun 16, 2019, 03:23 AM
What airfoils use wings from ritewing? I want to cut out from foam a hotwire. Maybe who will prompt the general sizes (tip, chord,etc) for demon 40 or hardcore 38?
Jun 17, 2019, 05:47 PM
Mum is the word!
LOL , all the foils are custom .
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixoid26
What airfoils use wings from ritewing? I want to cut out from foam a hotwire. Maybe who will prompt the general sizes (tip, chord,etc) for demon 40 or hardcore 38?
Jul 02, 2019, 02:21 PM
What kind of servo torque / speed is recommended for the Flaps / Elevator on an extended full sized drak? I was interested in tryin out hitec's D series for this build, and I already had the d625mw chosen for the elevons (ailerons now I guess?). The ritewing branded boom servo is lacking in specs other than its a 32g servo - I looked at a few other 32g servos from Corona, and based on their dimensions and strength / speed, I figured the hitec d89mw would be fine for the boom (and maybe overkill for flaps?)
Jul 02, 2019, 02:46 PM
Crash Test Dummy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapf
What kind of servo torque / speed is recommended for the Flaps / Elevator on an extended full sized drak? I was interested in tryin out hitec's D series for this build, and I already had the d625mw chosen for the elevons (ailerons now I guess?). The ritewing branded boom servo is lacking in specs other than its a 32g servo - I looked at a few other 32g servos from Corona, and based on their dimensions and strength / speed, I figured the hitec d89mw would be fine for the boom (and maybe overkill for flaps?)
Back in the day JR DS821 servos were the go-to servos for Ritewings. They aren't available anymore, but something with similar specs should be fine https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...kaAsCOEALw_wcB

Quick Reply